LegacyGT.com

Weigh in: Nissan 350Z vs. Legacy GT Ltd Sedan

A guy at work has a nice looking 350Z with automatic. From what I can tell, looks like a fair match on a straight road. AWD would have advantages in certain conditions.

Has anyone run with one of these yet? Anyone care to guess how they would stack up on the track? How about stock GT Ltd? Or one with Accessport reflash and perhaps an up pipe?

Rimfaxe

Well here is my 2 cents on this. When I was at the track last week there was a 350Z and an SRT4. I personally only saw the Z run one time with my own eyes he ran a 14.6@100mph and the Neon was close to that ET @99mph. My Legacy would have taken both of them and trapping only 96-97mph but running 14.0's. The AWD would have gave them fits if I lined up with either. Traction was their main issue as the trap speeds show they make more power than our Subaru.

As someone who has a Z in the driveway. The car is really hard to launch with its horrible stock runflats and axle hop. Once moving though the Z should pull away more and more as the speeds increase. From a dead stop though I would expect the LGT to take it unless it was a very good driver in the Z that was good at launching.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

they guy at my office has Toyo Proxes. I'd like to run him either stock (today) or with my accessport and an up pipe in a few weeks. It sounds pretty close- I don't think he knows that I could stay close to him. I'd like to spank him and send him home to mama.

I bet stock for stock, they are within a few tenths; in favor of the gt sedan...my best run with a stock auto gt wagon was 14.8 @ 95 and i know it had a few 10ths more...that being said we all know stock for stock they will pull when are drivetrain slows us down...but in the twisties i bet we have them stock for sure! i don't know about the sedans but on top of awd the wagon has close to a 50/50 wait distro....we have to get these two to the track :D

You said the 350Z was an auto....you'll take him, not only off the line but

hold that advantage. The auto 350Z will run mid 14's @ 96-97 mph, and

without the advantage of AWD launch, you'll jump out front and hold

a couple car length advantage the whole time.

A manual 350Z...again, with our AWD, we'll without a doubt take them out of the

gate, but as speeds climb, our turbo 4's begin to run out of breath...and the manual

350Z will reel us in probably in 3rd gear (around 70-80 mph) pull even with us by

90 mph and then begin to creep away.

On a track, well it depends on the track and which model 350Z it is.

We have crappy stock tires... RE92's as EVERYONE knows. But if it's a

non-Track edition 350Z it might be pretty close...again depending on track

and driver. Track model 350Z and it'll outrun us stock on a track.

But for $6-7K more it better.

In dirt, rain, drizzle, snow or just the dusty, pebble filled canyon roads around So Cal...the 350Z wouldn't have a chance....advantage AWD!

Ahh, ONE sensible guy "Wagner" over at the 350Z boards.

All that trash talk from the 350Z owners about the track.

True stock out of the box, the "sports car" has the advantage.

They don't realize the Legacy GT is underrated by about 10 hp and

20 ft-lbs of torque. But with a turbo, and easy $650 reflash and

as he said, they'd be looking at our taillights anytime!

Those Naturally Aspirated guys just never learn.

Wonder how many THOUSANDS of dollars it would take for a

350Z to get 40-50 additional horsepower at the crank?

$650.00 for us LGT owners.

Guest *Jedimaster*
When I first broke my car in I ran behind a 350Z that saw me and floored it- he didn't pull at all. I'm quite sure that with AP stage 1 and especially Stage 2, you'd walk on a Z.

I took a 350Z touring MT in on trade a few weeks ago and driving the car was really kind of a let down. I expected much more from is based on the numbers the cars are supposed to make, it really was not all that much faster than a Legacy with a MT. It would have pulled on my 5eat, but not so much that it would embarass me. Now the C6 Corvette I ran into the other day was different story, those are fast cars. I goaded the driver into pulling up an onramp just to see it fly, the new styling is nice from the back end too on that car (I never cared for the C5 it did not look finished properly).

None of the Z's were outrunning my $25-in-mods car at the last track event. 13.9 @ 98 isn't the fastest in the world but it's enough to keep them at bay. I have yet to do any exhaust work. When I do, I expect another tenth or two.

OMG this is Sofa King funny!

Ha Ha Ha Ha.... LM(MF)AO ROFL! Guess He's in for a surprise!

Legacy GT and 350z comparison...

quote: If people are into modifying cars, they are going to go with the STi... or even the WRX before they go with a Legacy GT. I won't argue that the STi will take the Z, or even a modded WRX taking a stock Z... but I highly doubt we're going to see a line-up of Legacy GTs at the drag strip.

Posted by: lilsilkk on April 04, 2005 at 8:02 AM

http://www.350zforum.com/

I had a minor run in with a 350z. Not a race, just enjoying myself off the line and he happened to be there. No idea if he was pushing it, but I had the definite edge to about 50, then he edged away. (limit was 65) But in my book, a slight advantage from 50 upwards doesn't even come close to equalizing the other areas where the subie takes the cake in both driving and usefulness.

...doesn't even come close to equalizing the other areas where the subie takes the cake in both driving and usefulness.

Exactly. The 350Z is a hot sports car- but where's my baby seat and snowboard gonna go?

What's really funny is with the numbers it produces, it only runs high 14's. 275hp in a 2 door "sports car" and it runs 14's? My 4300lb Impala SS ran 14.7 STOCK. I only had 260hp!...well...I guess the 330tq helped out but still...;) .

I'm honestly not impressed with the car. It quick, and handles ok but for about the same price, you can get a ltd gt or a sti. I HATE the interior. There's maybe 5 guages in the whole car...wtf? It's too plain inside.

Hard to get an even handed discussion going. The http://www.350Zforum.com wants to discuss everything but the actual performance. I'd really like to get these two out on the track and see what happens. I'll bet it would all come down to driver skill. JMHO. If anyone's ever paced one of these things on the track, let me know.

What's really funny is with the numbers it produces, it only runs high 14's. 275hp in a 2 door "sports car" and it runs 14's?

Actually the 350Z runs high 13's to low 14's @ 99-101 mph

Again, stock for stock with equally skilled drivers..at the strip, the LGT will get the jump and hold out in front until the 1/8th mile.

At which point the 350z will probably begin to pull up alongside and

pull a 1/2-1 car length advantage by the stripe.

At a race track...it's going to depend on which model 350Z and which

track. But I'd think the LGT owner would NEED to swap out the stock RE92's

for UHP tires, swap out the brake pads (and maybe lines) for acceptable

stopping power to have a chance on most tracks.

In ANYTHING but dry weather...on ANY course, road, track the LGT

will walk away.

And also those 350Z guys need to keep in mind. In a straight line stock for stock the 350Z will barely pull away until about 100 mph or so, and pull a bit quicker after that....BUT ONLY at or NEAR sea level.

Any elevation above 4000 feet, and the NA 350Z is going to lose it's slight edge, and the LGT may never reliquish its off the line lead.

At 6000 feet and above...forgetaboutit...the 350Z hasn't got a chance.

And if any of those stock 350Z drivers over at their forums want to turn most

of the speculation into cold hard facts...I wouldn't mind meeting up with one

of them to see how it all pans out on a lonely deserted road in the northern LA

area. No bets, just a fun run or two.

I guess you mean a lonely deserted road just outside the track entrance, where you both will meet, shake hands, and then enter and race on a closed course appropriate for such activities, with the proper safety equipment and checks, of course! Did I read that correctly?

Regardless, let me know how they pair up- I think it would be interesting to do a few laps stock for stock (without the RE92's) and see what happens! Thanks for the insight!

Yeah, yeah that's it.

I doubt I'll get any responses.

I've wanted to do a few "runs" with a stock WRX (and a few other cars) and

I couldn't get a response from other subie owners.

I think we ALL know the LGT is quicker than a WRX, especially as speeds climb,

but it would be fun to see by how much, and from several different rolling speeds.

I agree with Drivers outlook on a run between the LGT and 350Z. LGT comes out with Z chasing till the 1/8 the the last 1/8 the Z eats up real estate and get his rear bumper in front a bit. This is played out with a good driver who can launch the Z with good results. Again I saw a 350Z running at the track the night I was there. My LGT would have mopped him up with a good 5 tenths faster ET. His mph as I stated was 100 compared to my 97 so there is the actual power difference. No way I could have trapped 100mph. If I were to run one it would be from a dig anything from a roll would be a loss without any doubt. Not a killing as those clowns over there would like to believe but a loss indeed. I'd throw the same thing down in my area here no doubt. Get one of those guys to meet up and i'd show him just how much faster the mighty Z is against grandpas car. Hopefully some of them will read this as it's linked from there now. I am on Long Island in eastern Suffolk county.

Archived