LegacyGT.com

keyless entry no horn sound??

Hell yeah subikid! Very nice! I know I'm asking a lot, but any idea which red wire is the chirp? Lol I'm gonna look at my brain later today and see if maybe I have any place for the extra plugs. Cause your brain looks just like mine, minus the extra plugs. Ha ha

Very descriptive pics man, thank you so much.

-Ben (Mr. Determined) ha ha

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that my chirp is the blue wires on the 2 pin. That is the only wires that I can see heading up towards the location of the firewall hole that goes into the engine compartment. Check to see what plugs you have and we can see if we can figure out what goes where. I'm afraid of unplugging wires because I don't wanna disable my car, otherwise i would just unplug the wire and see if it still chirps.

If the wire going to the chirper is red, wouldn't the wire that goes into the brain be red as well? I don't have any tools with me right now, but my brain has the 5 pin, and 18 pin plugs. BUT! I have the other plugs as well, just with no wores coming out. So I am fairly confident if we can figure out what wire it is, I can put a pin in the correct plug in the correct location and run my own wires and buy a chirper and it would work. Ill take the brain down tomorrow and check everything out real close and let you know.

I think our brains are the same, mine just has less wires run and such, cause if they were different, why have the plugs there with no wires?

Ill let you know tomorrow evening or late tonight, but I think we got this! Ha ha

-Ben

Wores=wires. Ha ha my bad. And for clarification. My 5 pin and 18 pin plugs have wires coming out of them. Then I have the actual 4 pin and 2 pin plugs plugged into the brain, but they have no wires coming from them, they are empty.

(I can't edit posts on my black berry)

ah that makes alotta sense. figured they would do that; why build two seperate brains for cars w/an alarm and cars w/o? good job; now the trick is to get the chirper wired up, or even integrate the horn. this is where I got lost on the thread, because electronics go over my head unfortunately :/ i'd love to hear some noise...how are you going to rig this one up benders?

Ok, so here is the deal. Took my brain out. On the back is a chart saying what every plug and wire are for.

2 pin plug: starter inturrupt. (Ignition kill)

4 pin plug: Shock sensors (door, hood, trunk)

5 pin plug: door locks. (From right to left facing top of brain)

1. White/red (lock motor)

2. Empty

3.Empty

4.Red/Green (driver door unlock motor)

5.Pink/Green (driver door unlock switch)

18 pin plug: Accessory herness connector. (From right to left facing top of brain)

1.White (ground)

2.Red (siren)

3.Empty

4.Empty

5.White/Green (factory disarm) if applicable

6.Red/Black (switched +12v)

7.Empty

8.Red/White (illuminated entry)

9.White (doors unlock)

10.Black/White (+12v constant)

11.White/Yellow (parking lights)

12.Empty

13.Blue (LED connections)

14.Green (LED connections)

15.Orange (LED connections)

16.Black (siren)

17.Empty

18.Empty

The plugs are read with the brain laying on its back side with the words "subaru keyless entry control unit" facing up and facing the plugs on the brain head on. 1 is bottom right, and is read from right to left. 10. Is top right and is read the same.

I removed my 18 pin plug, and every pin is there, including pin 2 and 16 for the siren. So all I have to do is buy a siren, and run my 2 wires to it from the correct pins, and BAM!! Chirp FTW!! Lol all keyless brains are anti theft as well, they just don't install the anti theft portions of the system. :)

Non anti theft owners... You may now has chirp!

Ok. It has been confirmed.

I had an old horn and wired up the red pin 2 to the power of the horn, and the black pin 16 to the ground, and grounded the horn. It honked, but without the key fob. It honked as soon as it was hooked up. :/ SO! There must be a relay either under the dash or in the "chirper" there are only 2 wires coming from the chirper, so I'm assuming the relay is under the dash, between the firewall and keyless brain.

So! In theory, if you run a wire from pin 2 to a relay, then to the power of a horn or chirper, and a wire from pin 16 to a ground, and ground the chirper or horn, you can have chirp.

One question, how would you wire the relay? Like any other relay? Relays confuse me. Ha ha

Does all this make sense, or am I crazy?

I also just realized, it could have started honking because it was un hooked and then hooked up with the battery hooked up (stupid yes) and it could have caused the "alarm to go off and start honking" idk, didn't think of that till I put it all back. Ill have to try it later.

Something worth noting tho, red pin 2 IS NOT GROUND!!! Ha ha you will pop a fuse! Promise! Ha ha 0_o

This sounds like it will work. I will see if i can find that relay somewhere in my car. Another idea would be to go to a u-pull-it year and see if you can find the chirper and the relay. Im probably going to go this weekend to a u-pull-it yard, if i find one i could pull it and send it to you. Not looking to make money, just helping another subi owner haha

Hell yeah man. If you find one for a 97 gt that would be awesome! I can paypal you some money for your time and shipping. I have no problem with that.

Also, the fuse holder under the dash that had the pink wires that I said didn't do anything when it was removed. Turns out it is the driver door lock. Normally when you hit un lock on the key fob, it unlocks the driver door, and if you hold it, the rest unlock, but with the fuse removed, if you hit the unlock button once, the driver door doesn't un lock, it only un locks when you hold it and un lock all the doors.

Let me know if you find a chirper at the u-pull-it.

-Ben

No luck this weekend at the u-pull-it yard. They didn't even have a legacy but the lot is really empty right now so I think next weekend we might have better luck.I will keep my eye open for one. I would check ebay also.

Will do. Thanks for lookin out. Also while your there if you find a passenger side power mirror in WHITE I will pay you via pay pal for it if its not broken or cracked. I'm only interested in white ones, don't wanna paint it. And it has to be in one solid piece with all the mounting tabs in place.

Let me know a price on it shipped IF you find a white one in good condition.

-Ben

Subikid: any word on the location of the relay for the chirper? I haven't had time to hook my spare horn up again and and try just hooking it up and letting it honk, then hitting unlock on the key fob to see if it silences it. Lol

Its all good. I have been busy with work. Ill try and hook that horn up again. I swear, it seems like the relay should be in the brain, cause the relay for the blinkers is in it (as far as when relating to the keyless and alarm). Cause when my alarm goes off and they start blinking, its the brain that is clicking on and off like a relay does.

Ill try again when I get a chance and see.

• 2 months later...
Mine is a chirp. Does it once when I unlock and twice when I lock it. Mine might be different because my car I think might have an "upgraded" alarm system. I have a red led next to my fog light button, its on the far left side. I haven't seen this an anyone else car so far, but my alarm brain and key fob all say Subaru on them. ill take a picture of my brain and led light. I will admit I love hearing the sound when I lock my car, its a nice insurance to know its locked. If you set your alarm off does it make any sound? Ill try and play with mine today and see if i can find where the sound is coming from.

Yeah I have the same alarm system and red light as you.

The chirp and red led is because you guys have the "anti-theft" portion of the key less entry that also includes motion sensors in the doors and hood that set off the alarm when opened while the alarm is armed and also has ignition imobilizor that kills the ignition when the alarm goes off, where as I have the basic key less entry, with the key fob that locks and unlocks the doors and nothing more.

Both styles of systems have the same brain, the difference is that the basic key less system does not have the sensors and such installed or wired in. Meaning that your car can come with the basic system, and you can install and wire any portion or all pieces of the anti-theft system to the key less brain and they will work, with no need to switch brains.

Hope this clears it up a bit. Lol

-Ben

The chirp and red led is because you guys have the "anti-theft" portion of the key less entry that also includes motion sensors in the doors and hood that set off the alarm when opened while the alarm is armed and also has ignition imobilizor that kills the ignition when the alarm goes off, where as I have the basic key less entry, with the key fob that locks and unlocks the doors and nothing more.

Both styles of systems have the same brain, the difference is that the basic key less system does not have the sensors and such installed or wired in. Meaning that your car can come with the basic system, and you can install and wire any portion or all pieces of the anti-theft system to the key less brain and they will work, with no need to switch brains.

Hope this clears it up a bit. Lol

-Ben

Sums up this whole thread perfectly :lol:

Why thank you sir. I thought so as well ha ha.

I still have yet to try and wire in a universal horn I have laying around to the chirp spot on the brain to see if the relay for the chirp is in the brain, or the oem chirper. I believe its in the brain because that's where the relay for the flashers is.

I believe I now have something to do while the girl friend is at school! :) ha ha

Subikid: Can you get me a picture of the 18 pin plug on the brain showing the wires, their colors and where they go in the plug clearly?

I wired my spare horn power to the pin 2 (red siren) and the horn ground to pin 16 (black siren) and hooked up the battery... Nothing I tried switching them, nothing. I tried horn power to red and ground to black AND grounding the horn, and when I hooked the battery up, the lights started flashing, but no sound. So I hit unlock to stop the "alarm" and the flashing stopped (as usual) but after a few secods of just sitting there, the horn starts blowing and would not stop regardless of what button I hit on the key fob, so I un hooked the battery lol.

So I'm wondering if maybe the horns are wired to the siren for when the alarm is set off like in a theft situation, and the chirper for the locks is wired somewhere else.

Thanks man.

I'm getting frustrated.

I tried putting the horn power to the parking light wire on the brain and the ground to the brain ground, no horn, and it causes the door lock to not work. Same when grounding to the chassis.

I tried the horn power to the parking light wire on the brain and ground to the ground wire on the brain. It honked when the alarm was going off every time it flashed, and when I hit the parking light switch on top of the steering column it didn't honk, but when the car was on and parking lights were on on the headlight switch, it started honking... So that won't work. Same thing when grounded to the chasis instead.

I tried on the door lock motor wire, door lock switch wire, doors lock wire, doors un lock wire, each one using brain ground and then chassis ground. All of them cause the doors to not lock...

So I don't know where the hell the chirper would wire to... There has to be a relay in the chirper or in between the brain and chirper, because I have tried every combo I can think to try with no luck...

That pic might can help tho...

Thanks man. While your there, if you find a relay, can you try and see what color the wires coming out of the relay on the brain side are for me please and where they go exactly? Thanks, if there is no relay, can you try and trace the wires back to the brain and see exactly which pin they go into on the brain?

Your a HUGE help in getting this figured out man. There will be SOOO many people glad to see this project finished, and so many non anti-theft gt owners glad that they can have chirp.

Just a question. When you hold both buttons on your key fob down at the same time to put the car in panic mode, is it the chirper that goes off, or the horns near the headlights?

Thanks again,

-Ben

I have never tried that. I know when my alarm goes off the chirper is where the sound comes from if I remember right, I will check again today. Between today and tomorrow I will trace the wires from the chirper all the way to the brain. I will take pictures of anything important.

Archived