LegacyGT.com

Cool. My engine blew.

16K deep on miles and my engine blew. Spun a rod bearing. Was driving mellow at 3500RPMs in 3rd, not accelerating hard, and it just started knocking. Turns out my car was using up oil like crazy and my oil light never went on (or so the dealer says), it sucks that I was about to change my oil that night. God damn I miss my car.

Yep. I was pretty happy that they'd cover it, I'd be pissed and suspicious if they didn't.

Yeah if the oil light comes on its already too late LOL. They better replace that engine im sure they know whats up when a new engine spins bearings. Get have them put in a EJ22 that thing will never pop.

Glad its being fixed sucks you wont have your car for a while.

Yep. Looks like you will be getting a shortblock assy.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

The oil warning light reports low pressure, not low oil level. By the time the light comes on, you have trouble. There is no substitute for checking the oil regularly.

Did the dealer ask about maintenance intervals? I only ask b/c typically an issue like this the stealer tries to duck liability at all costs. :lol: i.e. my idle problem as the result of "modification" to the intake tract which is clearly stock :eek:

My '92 Mercedes 300E 4Matic had a low oil level sensor that would tell you when the 7 quart sump was 2 quarts low, well before there was a big problem. With the small sump capacity of the Boxer Subaru there is no excuse not to have one!

The dealer tried to blame me for going too long without an oil change, I pulled out my receipt from getting an oil change from them at 12K. They were busting my balls about it, and finally backed their shit up and told me they'd cover it. A low oil sensor would be nice, but oh well. Live and learn.

Why the hell don't they put an oil level sensor in all cars along with an oil pressure sensor? Seems like this would be so easy to do now that everything is monitored by the computer these days.

They did for 2010.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yep. I was pretty happy that they'd cover it, I'd be pissed and suspicious if they didn't.

I hope you realize how lucky you are and that this is not the car or subaru's fault. It's your responsibility as the owner to check the oil level regularly.

I hear ya man, you'd never think to check the oil on a new car. Thats especially unlucky since you were going to change the oil the next day. I still remember the first time I checked the oil on my car it had around 2,500mi and I was pretty pissed off to see that the oil level was a little below the low mark on the dipstick. Not the best feeling to buy a brand new car, and find out that its "normal" for them to consume oil. :spin: To this day, my car has 49k and I go through at least 1qt of oil over a 4-5k oci.

You are very lucky. I suggest getting an Oil Pressure Gauge. Saved my ass once. Also if this was a 2.5T engine and had any mods you absolutely would not have gotten covered. Surprised the NA engine has oil consumption problems as well, what type of oil did you use? I ended up just switching to 20-50w to keep the pressure up and consumption down.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Surprised the NA engine has oil consumption problems as well, what type of oil did you use? I ended up just switching to 20-50w to keep the pressure up and consumption down.

I have seen Subaru cover plenty of things, even engines that should not have been covered at all. I wouldn't speculate too much.

hmph

didn't know that NA engines really had oil issues

and 16k too, that's a young motor

They don't. Things happen.

You are very lucky. I suggest getting an Oil Pressure Gauge. Saved my ass once. Also if this was a 2.5T engine and had any mods you absolutely would not have gotten covered. Surprised the NA engine has oil consumption problems as well, what type of oil did you use? I ended up just switching to 20-50w to keep the pressure up and consumption down.

My '05 2.5i will easily consume a liter of full synthetic 5W30 oil in 5000kms. Depends on the driving though - lots of high rpm and/or highway miles will do it. I've gotten accustomed to checking my oil every 2-3 fill ups to be safe.

Hey, Andy.

Sorry to hear about this speed bump, buddy, and thanks for the reminder. I've always got a kick out of the phrase: "If you can't set a good example, be a horrible warning to others." - Ha! I'm new to the Scooby community, so thanks for the heads up as I'm not used to checking the oil frequently on my newer cars. I'll apply the learnings from your misfortune to my GT car.

BTW, got some news for you - check ur PMs.

- Allen.

Archived