LegacyGT.com

banjo bolt removal question

To original poster, check out the pics in this link.. makes it much easier to understand.. of course you really can't see any of this with motor in car & the rest of the stuff in the way.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/passenger-side-turbo-avcs-oil-line-summary-136078.html?t=136078&highlight=banjo

Now, guys what about a trick to get that crush washer in? I really need to get this car back on the road as we are getting storms, and the hurricane this weekend.

• 1 month later...
  • Mega Users

thanks PC, there is no banjo bolt there. I took the bolt out that was there and it looks like just a plug. The bolt did have oil on it, but it did not secure an oil line to the side of the block like in your picture. its a hollowed out bolt with a pin size hole at the top, with no filter, and screwed straight into the block. The bolt was a hex withOUT the circle on the top.

any 07 owners with other insight?

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mega Users
I went to the dealer to get a new banjo filter, they said they only sell the bolt, and told me it may have the filter in it. I had to order it and it just got shipped in. I just picked the bolt up today, no filter in it. is it a safe assumption that my car MAY have a banjo, that subaru doesn't make banjo filters for the 07s, and that I should go in to the second banjo location (first one there was no filter), and just replace that with the new bolt that I picked up from the dealer?
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• 2 weeks later...

no idea about the 07 but sounds like many newer models do not have the filter. Many also say they took it out with no problems many 10's of thousands miles afterwards.

The going theory is with 3k or less oil changes and using a good quality oil, you shouldn't need this filter. With good maintenance, the filter wont have particles to remove and then won't clog so therefore unnecessary. I would agree with this.

I also think keeping this in and checking every 15k is a good indicator of wear and tear on the engine. It takes 45 minutes or so to check.

Of course it takes minutes to take a sample and ship to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

$25 to check whole engine for weirdness.

• 2 months later...
And for the record that picture shows a restricted side of the banjo bolt from Subaru... mine was not, it was same on both sides but my turbo was replaced under warranty by Subaru early in it's life so maybe they swapped it then.

Do you mean the bolt itself or the surrounding tube that it goes through? There are two restrictions, one in each (bolt and turbo feed side), correct?

If you mean the bolt, I wonder if it is a good idea to replace the bolt with one like you have, instead of just removing the screen and putting the bolt back in. Any idea what the part is? It sounds similar to the FP bolt. You would still have the restriction in the tube around the bolt so the stock turbo shouldnt be getting too much oil.

Archived