LegacyGT.com

My take on the DIY Top Mount Intercooler

urfsin

Updated pics:

#1) Good shot of the bracket holding the left side of the IC

#2) The IC is now sitting level

#3) Shot of the splitter and foam to seal off the air and direct it through the IC

#4) Showing how the foam seals off the air when the hood is shut

#5) Front view when hood is shut

DSC06844.JPG.f0c8e1e93806cf8cde1caea70360fe2d.JPG

DSC06849.JPG.418d009ec8a067e6076abfb349243698.JPG

DSC06853.JPG.ff63ca8184da6c4cc0304722c6524408.JPG

DSC06858.JPG.c376b17f62543fbdcd8b7884636f5295.JPG

DSC06863.JPG.218e39a8f269832fa17be8ffe3d439b4.JPG

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I got the sheet metal and foam @ Home Depot

The foam seal is made for window A/C units (to seal off any gaps). It comes as one large piece that I cut to fit my needs. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhc/R-100209715/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

As for LGT style turbo's, I think it would be very hard to make this IC work. If I was going to run a larger LGT style turbo, I would just get a Perrin (or other similar IC)

My whole goal for this project was to be able to switch to WRX style turbos without having to do a full intake manifold swap.

• 2 years later...

I bought a small piece of aluminum and cut it with jig saw for the rough shape, then used a grinder to finish it off.

I did have to take that BOV piece, about four inch length of 1" pipe and IC to throttle body pipe to welder and have it all welded up.

I am still rocking this IC and it works great for my needs.

• 3 weeks later...
You just need to buy a VF39 / 43 / 48 and fab it all up. In all honesty though, at this point in time with the Process West intercooler (and choice of good LGT style turbo's) it's much easier to go that rout.

i dont think i ever posted up my DIY/ebay intercooler.

total cost was <$200

http://i46.tinypic.com/29m8utj.jpg

i did the same thing with the BOV & turbo flange, used a piece of aluminum, cut to rough size, and grinded it down the rest of the way

• 6 months later...
As for LGT style turbo's, I think it would be very hard to make this IC work. If I was going to run a larger LGT style turbo, I would just get a Perrin (or other similar IC)

My whole goal for this project was to be able to switch to WRX style turbos without having to do a full intake manifold swap.

Did u have any problems tuning it? I cant seem to get into boost!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Did u have any problems tuning it? I cant seem to get into boost!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

I did not tune it, Shamar of Infamous tuning did. I changed the boost pill size on his advice (I forgot what size). I was very happy with his tune and we had no problems tuning. This set up has been going strong for 3 years now.

• 1 year later...

I un-cliped the A/C line from the bracket. It's in the center of the firewall if I remember correctly. There is a fair amount of flex in the A/C line.

Also, if you are replicating my set up I ended up revising my hot side pipes. See post #24 for the update. I like the silicone pipes WAY more....there is more flex and it makes install a lot easier.

Last note...the foam I used to seal off the IC when the hood is shut only lasted a few months before it fell off. If you can find out a better way to attach the foam or another way to seal it off let me know.

Good Luck and post up your results! I have a feeling this TMIC set up can handle up to 350-375 HP no problem.

Archived