LegacyGT.com

Whats Next?

from all the research ive done, I understand going stage 2 makes the biggest performance jump, relatively easily. catless up, new DP and a tune seem to be the standard, but i was wondering what to do AFTER that? I would like to do one or 2 more bolt on things before i get pro tuned. So my question is what makes the most power (aside from a new turbo) headers? new top mount? My turbo is fine so i dont want to change it yet. so, what will produce the most bolt on power? thanks

All depends on what kind of power and application you are wanting. Im no expert, but i know for stage 2 (at least to be reliable) you will wanna do a TMIC and maybe injectors and fuel pump. after your Cat Back, DP, UP, Intake, TMIC, Injectors, Fuel Pump and Tune you should be almost at stage 2 (minus clutch). After that, just getting bigger stuff like turbo, then maybe a bigger TMIC or FMIC, headers and a bunch of other stuff (stuff that i really don't plan on doing so i know not alot about) . If you search for "STAGE 2" or browse through ...

here

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

here

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

here

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73

and here

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

... you should be well on your way to absorbing a CRAP load of SUBARU knowledge. Browse through the Walk Through sections as well to get a lot of step by step tutorials on most things you need and can do to your SUBARU

If you are running an 07 or newer you do not need a new UP. Simply DP and tune and technically you can do a stage 2 tune. Many members have encountered difficulties with the endtanks on the stock TMIC running stage 2 boost levels.

Don't forget to consider upgrading things like springs, sways, brakes and tires before you consider adding a whole bunch more power.

If you are considering a turbo upgrade in the future you may consider putting money away for a FMIC and turbo. If you want to take your time or aren't interested in FMIC then you can consider a new TMIC. Those upgrades should keep you happy for a bit anyways.

Typically a turbo swap will require things like a bigger intake, injectors, fuel pump, FMIC or TMIC upgrade, suspension work, brake work and likely a catback and clutch in addition to your stage 2 upgrades.

Sky is the limit ..... but once you start it's hard to stop. And once you start you start to notice some of the shortcomings of some of the other stock parts .....

Don't forget to consider upgrading things like springs, sways, brakes and tires before you consider adding a whole bunch more power.

Yea forgot to add this (figured most do this before power anyways)

FONTS: do you not suggest Fuel Pump and Injectors with a stage 2? I have had a few people mention doing this since (like you said) you notice the shortcomings of the stock parts once you upgrade to aftermarket

Yea forgot to add this (figured most do this before power anyways)

FONTS: do you not suggest Fuel Pump and Injectors with a stage 2? I have had a few people mention doing this since (like you said) you notice the shortcomings of the stock parts once you upgrade to aftermarket

No. You should be fine with stock FP and injectors until you upgrade your turbo.

Things like bushings, tranny mount, etc. Once you get a STS you realize the stock bushings suck. One you replace your clutch you realize the stock tranny mount sucks. Once you add power you realize the stock engine mounts and pitch stopper suck. ..... etc.

im pretty happy with my current set up. im currently running a stage 2 setup wich includes:

custom pro tune from dale at boxer4 racing 239AWHP 249AWTQ at 15.5 psi on a mustang dyno

perrin tmic

greddy uncatted up pipe

invidia catless down pipe

magnaflow catback

k&n typhoon intake

tien s tech springs

kart boy short throw shifter

dba rotors all around

hawk hp+ pads all around

im pretty happy with my current setup you can keep it cheap if you just wait on sales to come around, i have to say my best investment was the dyno tune. i was told i could have had 270whp if my wastegate actuator would have been tune able, i was told normally he will tune them to 19.5 psi on a stock turbo however my 15.5 increases the engine and turbo life. now im saving up for the clutch, injectors, fuel pump, and turbo upgrade:). but stage two legacys are a lot of fun so if i were you i would go for it

Stock fueling is totally fine for stage 2, new TMIC will allow your tuner to safely push your map more aggressively compared the stock intercooler which will give you more power, (and you solve potentially blowing out the stock endtanks). Swapping out the exhaust beyond your new DP will help free up some power too. If you want stealth, run an aftermarket 3" mid and y-pipe to stock muffs or do a full turboback if you want more noise.

thanks for the info, i know if i upgrade the turbo ill need new injectors, fuelpump and a front mount, and springs and tires help with the drivability, but what im really asking is what mod will yield the best results with a pretty basic set up, aka downpipe and tune. im leaning towards a new top mount over a cat back. anyone have any other suggestions?

Both CBE and bigger TM will give more HP if tuned for it. Expect 8-10 at best. Changing to an AVO TM gave better torque down low and in the midrange. Infamous (our resident e-tuner) also tuned for my AVO watsegate actuator. It actually does help in keeping boost in the upper RPM ranges. In the end, many parts will slowly build your leggy into an awesome machine.

thanks for the info and quick responses, since the catback is going on hold, what downpipes will bolt up to a stock catback? im looking for a catless, 3inch preferably, main concern is that it bolts to a stock catback.

Both CBE and bigger TM will give more HP if tuned for it. Expect 8-10 at best. Changing to an AVO TM gave better torque down low and in the midrange. Infamous (our resident e-tuner) also tuned for my AVO watsegate actuator. It actually does help in keeping boost in the upper RPM ranges. In the end, many parts will slowly build your leggy into an awesome machine.

Do you by chance have before/after data logs for the AVO actuator? I would be intrigued to see the difference in boost at high rpm.

Do you by chance have before/after data logs for the AVO actuator? I would be intrigued to see the difference in boost at high rpm.

If you PM me I can send you a log of my latest tune with the AVO actuator. Infamous was mildly impressed with my up top boost holding. You can't change the VF 40 efficiency range but the actuator will help to some degree.

my protune stage 2

invidia catless downpipe

greddy evo2 catback

perrin up-pipe

grimmspeed x-over pipe

perrin crank pulley

re-inforced stock intercooler

boosting 18.5psi on 92

btw, sea level 262awhp 300awtq on a dynojet

There certainly is lots of info about going stage 2 here in our forum.......but I have yet to see an explaination of the pros/cons of catted vs catless downpipes ?!! Larger DP that's catted gives more HP ---but less than catless----or what??? Just curious.
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Archived