LegacyGT.com

Accidentally Flushed with DOT5 fluid

Zimm

Hey all,

I decided to do my 30k service on my car last weekend which included a flush of the brake fluid. I went to Schucks and got some fluid but I guess I grabbed the wrong stuff. I did the flush and all seemed well but now that I have done some reading it looks like I messed up. I did my flush with a DOT5 silicone based fluid. :icon_excl

I plan to re-flush the system this weekend with the proper DOT3/4 fluid but I wanted to find out if I really messed something up here. I guess I need to ensure I get all the DOT 5 stuff out which shouldn't be too hard. Anything else I need to do to ensure this works out?

Thanks,

Well I set up an appointment with Outback Automotive (local shop) for tomorrow. I tried calling the dealer service folks but lets just say I now have more reason to not take my car there...

Hopefully I didn't damage anything

I think that is what they did and it still took that much. The DOT5 fluid is tenacious and difficult to fully flush. It also is less dense than DOT3/4 fluid and will float on top of it (they do not mix). In either case, this will NOT happen again to me...

Running DOT5 in a 3 or 4 system will eventually eat out the seals. I know this from karting. But if you only ran the 5 for a little while it should be good. But I'd do another flush in a couple months or so.

Archived