LegacyGT.com

Valentine v1 - any opinions and possible remote mounting location

Anyone use a Valentine v1? Since I got the spec.B I'm thinking it might be a good thing to have. I like their remote display and I'm wondering if I could shoehorn it into the ash tray location so I could close the door if it doesn't work and I do get pulled over.

any detector opinions?

Do a search on "valentine" over in the interior/audio forum. Lots of install threads with pics there. The best installation that I've seen in a Legacy so far:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61800

My installation:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94980

The remote display will fit into the ashtray with some modification, but you have to look too far down to read it IMO.

Agreed with cheerio - under the mirror (or, in my case with my Bel RX65, just over the mirror)... is great. You can tap the power from the map-light area, too.

As for the laser, I have a Blinder laser jammer, so I don't need the laser detection... besides which, laser detectors simply tell you to start pulling over... they don't give you enough warning anyway.

I have my remote mounted on the lower left side of the dash right above the mirror control. It's low enough so it can't be seen from the outside and easy enough to see.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine is mounted just left of my rear view mirror and hardwired into my map lights. I cant see it from outside the car at all, but i get a good clear shot to the front and back.... only thing is i can't put my visor down but Im too tall to actually use it anyways loll

?ui=2&ik=a674f85b80&view=att&th=1262e102b7d8035a&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw?ui=2&ik=a674f85b80&view=att&th=1262e1051877d19b&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zw

^^^^ do you just pry the mirror apart and inlay the face display for the remote head in between the mirror and platic? I really want to do this eventually

On every mirror I have seen there is no separation, it is just a mirror, as such it depends on the particular mirror as to what needs to be done. The mirror needs to be etched or resilvered to allow the display to shine through and the concealed display circuit board modified to fit. The connector for the jack plug has to be mounted as well as a button to replace the mute/mode switch.

It isn't easy and isn't for the faint of heart as you can easily trash the mirror if you aren't careful.

What sort of mirror mount does yoru car have? Does the mirror slide on to a wedge or twist (rotate) on to a button on the windshield?

From what I've seen Subaru use standard mirrors made by Gentex, as such the first one pictured above should be a straight swap for the existing mirror, it is auto-dimming and has the V1 display already built in.

Im pretty sure its a twist in. So your saying they sell those mirrors already for Subarus? If so It will be next on my list

Im pretty sure its a twist in. So your saying they sell those mirrors already for Subarus? If so It will be next on my list

Based on this ebay item (not my item, just for reference) it looks like a wedge mount, that is the mirror slides on to a wedge and is secured with a set screw. The same mount is used on probably 80% of cars on the road today.

wow, stealth mirrors has the auto dimming/homelink mirror from my 08 spec.b. Now it would be 1K almost for both parts... need to think about that a little.

Is your stock mirror like this one?

http://www.stealthmirror.com/MirrorImages/HomeLink_All_800.jpg

Archived