LegacyGT.com

Passing Emissions Test

PutnamCO

I failed my CO emissions test yesterday, and am wondering how to proceed. I have a VF52 with an Infamous tune and a fully catless exhaust. I have read to not bother with replacing the up-pipe with the stocker as the cat in the up-pipe does not do much compared to the two in the DP. So I want to put my stock DP back in, run over to the testing facility (about 20 miles round trip) and swap back. Do I need to run a different tune to avoid damaging the turbo since the exhaust will be so much more restrictive? Thanks.

Thank you both for the advice. I initially did nothing to prepare for the test, and failed badly (2-3X the limit for HC, CO, and NOx). Today, I put the stock DP on, did not change the tune, and got tested again, passing with flying colors. I am driving painfully slowly until I can get the Megan Downpipe back on tomorrow. Out tests seem quite stringent, and are required every two years. Even other CO LGTers with high flow/racing cats have failed. For me it's worth it to take a day to switch the DP out and run catless for two years. Thanks again.

pretty sure in mass u cant "touch" your exhaust whatsoever. at least thats what a statie said to me back in 07. funny cause i passed with a catback on my cobalt back then...but then again the inspector had an srt-4 and we were car talking the whole time LOL...think ill pass next month with just a cxlighting cbe and cobb intake? no tune BTW

You can have an aftermarket exhaust in Mass, it just can't be any louder than stock. Mine is thunderous - not a chance of passing. I bet if your catback's not absurd you'll be fine. Just takes a few minutes to swap out the catbacks though if you're concerned. No worries on the intake, unless you're throwing CELs.

Archived