LegacyGT.com

You asked???

Q: Can you compare the Subaru Outback against the Mini Cooper Clubman S?

A: : Outback's a real car. Mini's a toy. It has 'utility' only in comparison to the other, smaller Mini models. Minis are, however, a royal ball to drive. Outback's pleasantly satisfying, but not the yippee level of delight you get in a Mini. If you like one of those cars, you probably wouldn't like the other. Very, very different in size, price, intent.

who is trying to compare the two? both completely different types of cars:confused:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

who is trying to compare the two? both completely different types of cars:confused:

I'm not certain who asks the question(s) but a man named James R Healey is the person answering on USA Today Cars......

Today's question:

Q: Which car do you prefer: the Honda Crosstour or the Subaru Outback?

A: The Crosstour is more fun to drive, but -- if I were spending my own money -- I'd probably wind up with the Outback. It has a very agreeable personality and a very good awd system. It has the overall feel of a more useful vehicle. And I'm kind of a sucker for nicely done wagons.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen em both at the grocery store parking lot, and although my last three cars have been Subarus and I probably wouldn't ever get a non-Subaru wagon, the Crosstour looks WAY nicer than the new Outback. If for some weird reason I HAD to choose between the two, I would probably take the Honda. But if I need a new wagon in the next few years, I'll just get an 08 or 09 OBXT. From someone not on this forum!

• 2 weeks later...

Really, doc?

The Crosstour looks terrible and bulky in person, IMO. The overhangs are huge, both front and rear. It looks like a big fat sumo wrestler sat on the back of it, too. And the front nose is oddly large. Not a pretty sight (for most people).

Plus there is no comparison between the Outback's cavernous trunk vs the liftback cargo capacity of the Honda. Outback cargo space behind rear seats: 34.3, Crosstour:25.7; seats down Outback: 71.4, Crosstour: 51.3. Where is the utility?

Plus the Crosstour weighs almost 500lbs more... 4070lbs for AWD Crosstour and 3.6 Limited is 3658! And I drove both cars - while Outback with its soft suspension is nothing like an STI, it feels OK, especially considering its higher center of gravity. The Honda however, does not drive like the V6 Accord at all. You feel the extra weight and I got no grin from tossing it about. So AFAIK, both cars drive a lot alike (not great, that is).

The Crosstour is FWD with rears engaging only when needed - good for gas mileage, but nothing else (V6 cyl bank deactivation also helps). Its turning circle is over 40ft, while the Outback only needs 36.8. Parking that boat is an experience.

Even ground clearance is not contest: Crosstour's is 6", Outback's is 8.7"!!! Rear seats in the Outback also recline, not so much in the Honda.

And then there is the price: fully loaded Crosstour AWD is $36k with Nav, fully loaded Outback Limited with Nav is $34.5k. And you can get as much as $3k off the Subaru when haggling... try that at the Honda dealership.

I guess that I don't get the point of the Crosstour - but you can slap a big H onto anything really, and it will sell like hotcakes.

Cliff notes: I would take a fully loaded Outback over the Craptour, if the above dissertation is not clear enough ;-)

Archived