LegacyGT.com

Car Wash Messed up my CAR!!

I NEVER go through car washes. I always wash/wax/claybar my cars by hand.

My friend had a slammed Cooper S that jumped the guide mid wash. It caused the car behind his to be slamming up against his the entire wash. The car wash's insurance took care of it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you katalyst..It is a car and its out on the road and should expect some wear and tear...I try not to loose sleep over scratches here and there but its a different when we others are to blame.

I did get some compensation for the damage, and I did go buy all new car wash equivalent....And I am loving my new car!

I NEVER go through car washes. I always wash/wax/claybar my cars by hand.

That's not really an option for those of us who live where it gets well below freezing. It's even too cold to go through the touchless car wash now. Any water not blown off by the dryer freezes within minutes.

That's something I did not think about. It just rains a lot here in Seattle.

I bet you see a lot of sand and salt in the winter time in Chicago. I guess the question is what is better: the risk of a car wash using brushes or letting the sand/salt sit on your car.

That's something I did not think about. It just rains a lot here in Seattle.

I bet you see a lot of sand and salt in the winter time in Chicago. I guess the question is what is better: the risk of a car wash using brushes or letting the sand/salt sit on your car.

Mostly salt. I've only seen sand once. I asked OCDetails about touchless vs nothing and he said touchless was better:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2167450&postcount=7

That's not really an option for those of us who live where it gets well below freezing. It's even too cold to go through the touchless car wash now. Any water not blown off by the dryer freezes within minutes.

I beg to differ. Look at my location, I'm in Orono, Maine. I see temperatures below zero a lot. Our car washes still remain open during the daylight hours in winter. It's the kind you drive into and wash your car yourself.

I beg to differ. Look at my location, I'm in Orono, Maine. I see temperatures below zero a lot. Our car washes still remain open during the daylight hours in winter. It's the kind you drive into and wash your car yourself.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to get out the bucket and mitt to wash my car in one of those bays when it's fifteen degrees outside. I drove through the touchless one last year and didn't make it a block before water that wasn't blown off of the car had already frozen. Or maybe it's because I'm getting old...

In high school I worked at a full auto dealing shop. Lived in Central Oregon at the time and it would get fairly cold in the winter. One winter all I did was wash the cars.

It can be done, the water wont immediately freeze or anything. I guess it just depends on your love for your subaru....

I'm just joking I'm not going there!:lol:

I'm a little late on this... But.... People under the age of 80 still use automatic car washes?! Wow, no offense, but you've got to be ultra lazy and lack general caution to do such a thing. It's almost disgraceful, but I'm sure you are an all around cool guy (girl?) asside from it... :)

I dont remember the whole story but a friend of mine went though one and something on his car came off (was knocked off?) and caused the washer to jam and take damage/break. The gas station tried to hold him responsible for the damage to the washer. (This was a decade ago and happened to someone else hence the poor memory)

I can only guess it was a large towing side mirror or something...

I'm a little late on this... But.... People under the age of 80 still use automatic car washes?! Wow, no offense, but you've got to be ultra lazy and lack general caution to do such a thing. It's almost disgraceful, but I'm sure you are an all around cool guy (girl?) asside from it... :)
Yup, I use an automatic car wash, and I'm under 40.

Am I lazy? Yes, that's part of it. The other part is that with winters up here in New England, my paint is scratched and pitted up from salt trucks and other crap. What's the point of hand washing, then?

In my opinion, I USE my car. It's no trailer queen, and no beauty contestant. It goes fast, and carries stuff, including the girlfriend's 80lb dog. I have no need for a car I can't drive.

As for the carwash? Touchless (because I have laser jamming transceivers on the front)... and that's about it. The stock paint sucks anyway... as long as it's not rusting, I have no need to spend time washing and waxing by hand. But that's just me...

Your totally right Schwinn. Different strokes for different fokes. I think the bottom line is that you need to be informed that car wash systems WILL CAUSE DAMAGE. Whether that is just swirls in your clear coat or major scratches. Its just to you whether you care or not :icon_neut

yea F car auto car washes. I rather have my car dirty till i can do it right. In the winter the car just gets the power wash in the bay unless its warm enough to spend an hour to do a quick hand wash (no foaming brush) at the bay. I made the mistake of doin that the first winter i had the car and put two nice scratches on the hood. Unless to try and complain to owner cuz they could care less

You most likely wont see a dime from the car wash unless you have dated photos right before and right after the car wash. The exact same thing happened to me last winter. I noticed as soon as I got home from Shammy Shine, drove straight back and they asked me if I had dated photos from right before the car wash. I said "no" cause I didn't and they told me to prove they damaged the car. (which I couldn't) I only take the car through the car wash when it's cold enough outside I need to turn my outdoor spigots off . . . and now I take a few photos right before it goes through the wash. Pain in the ass? Yes, but I'd rather be covered.

Archived