LegacyGT.com

Paging folks who've gone the upgraded clutch route

I'm getting a rattle from the front of my '05 OB XT 5MT when the clutch is pressed in. Only seems to happen when the engine's warm, and it's sporadic. I can create the rattle "on command". And when I release the clutch, it always stops the rattle. Throw out bearing? Fyi, the trans shifts just fine.

Also, for those of you who've upgraded your crap stock clutch components--either with or without using the WRX single-mass flywheel.....did it make the clutch engagement any less "numb" than stock?

Although I've still got some meat left on the clutch, I suspect the TOB may be going bad...and if so...I refuse to put the same shit clutch back into the car.

Thanks for any/all comments....

Tim

You may want to try Technical Forums -> Transmissions. The tech forums will typically yield more/better responses, for specifically-focused questions. :)

So as not to cross-post, though, see if a Mod can just move this thread over for you.

You may want to try Technical Forums -> Transmissions. The tech forums will typically yield more/better responses, for specifically-focused questions. :)

So as not to cross-post, though, see if a Mod can just move this thread over for you.

Will do. Appreciate the feedback.

Tim

I'd imagine the sound might be caused by a failing TOB... they are certainly a weak link in the system.

Many people (including myself) have replaced the DMFW with a SMFW and ACT street clutch. The engagement is actually better with this setup, in my opinion (and others). The first time you use it, the clutch is VERY heavy, but it softens up a bit after a few hundred miles... either that or we're all getting used to it. (As a counterpoint, my GF didn't feel it was too bad, and she was coming from a wimp Saturn clutch.)

I can highly recommend the ACT HDMM + WRX FW setup... I would also recommend the TSK kit to replace the stock TOB, preventing future issues.

Search around the Transmission forum... this has been covered many times there.

I'd imagine the sound might be caused by a failing TOB... they are certainly a weak link in the system.

Many people (including myself) have replaced the DMFW with a SMFW and ACT street clutch. The engagement is actually better with this setup, in my opinion (and others). The first time you use it, the clutch is VERY heavy, but it softens up a bit after a few hundred miles... either that or we're all getting used to it. (As a counterpoint, my GF didn't feel it was too bad, and she was coming from a wimp Saturn clutch.)

I can highly recommend the ACT HDMM + WRX FW setup... I would also recommend the TSK kit to replace the stock TOB, preventing future issues.

Search around the Transmission forum... this has been covered many times there.

Schwinn-

Really appreciate the info. I have perused the forum you referenced in hopes of getting some more specific, including:

1. whether or not this upgrade actually provides more "feel" to clutch engagement--or whether the pedal is just heavier

2. an actual list of parts required (with P/N's) and their cost (I've found lots of incomplete lists, but nothing comprehensive yet)

I guess I'll go take another look.

I found a reputable Subie-only indy mechanic not too far from me, and my hope is he'll be able to diagnose whether the TOB is the cause for the rattling or not. If it is, I'm also hoping he's alright with me buying the parts for the job myself....many indies are not.

Thanks again for your help...much appreciated.

Tim

I'm still enjoying my Spec 2+ after over 40,000 miles. I have thier LWFW and clutch.

Nice feel and great bite.

I can give you the name of a drag racing buddy that works there, Danny Smith. If you contact him tell him the guy with the yellow Honda Civic from CT sent you. He'll Know.

http://www.specclutch.com/contact

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Schwinn-

Really appreciate the info. I have perused the forum you referenced in hopes of getting some more specific, including:

1. whether or not this upgrade actually provides more "feel" to clutch engagement--or whether the pedal is just heavier

2. an actual list of parts required (with P/N's) and their cost (I've found lots of incomplete lists, but nothing comprehensive yet)

I guess I'll go take another look.

I found a reputable Subie-only indy mechanic not too far from me, and my hope is he'll be able to diagnose whether the TOB is the cause for the rattling or not. If it is, I'm also hoping he's alright with me buying the parts for the job myself....many indies are not.

Thanks again for your help...much appreciated.

Tim

You'd have to define "feel"... I feel that the engagement is much more linear with this setup, though I imagine part of that has to do with the elimination of the DMFW.

Actual list of parts - get the kit from FB here, for simplicity: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1100/ACT-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail (select "ACT clutch + WRX flywheel" in the dropdown list). They may have TSK kits as well, there...

Or you can simply talk to Jeremy there... he knows exactly what you'd need.

I can't help you with the shops to have the work done... unless you wanted to come to north-of-Boston! You may try the regional forums and see if anyone there has any tips for good shops. FWIW, I paid $525 to have my clutch/FW installed in this area.

Archived