LegacyGT.com

Brown sludge in coolant expansion chamber

blaitarch

I have a 2007 Legacy GT, and I popped the hood today to put in windshield washer fluid. I checked the coolant tank and it looked like the attached images.

Google tells me it can be very few things:

1. A certain type of coolant tends to gunk up like that. My coolant was changed (should have been changed) ~1000 miles ago for the 30K service. When I've checked my coolant expansion chamber previously it usually has liquid in it. Obviously, the cold weather could mean the coolant fluid isn't hot enough to expand into the chamber. I can drive it so the coolant does expand and I can see what that looks like... tomorrow

2. Head gasket failure... not looking forward to this

Is there something to worry about and, if there is, what would I do to further diagnose?

12312009(001).thumb.jpg.81b9aac6c859dd8a002d03d3aa12b4ec.jpg

12312009(002).thumb.jpg.5e7ccdcc1f9045dd8a047d4cf6445036.jpg

Maybe it's the "secret sauce" coolant additive. I add this to the radiator first and then refill the coolant. If the sauce was added to top off the coolant, and the car was then run I'm thinking some got pushed out of the radiator into the expansion tank. Don't panic just yet!

I drove the car around 10 miles/20 minutes and checked the coolant level. The green coolant is present again but it is still below what I believe to be the 'minimum' marker. I can't see the sludge but that likely means it is just below the green coolant.

BTW, the sludge was present after the car hadn't been driven for several hours

Your tank looks pretty clean with just a small amount of gunk which is probably just impurities like rust/scaling. I'd do a system flush if its worrying you. For peace of mind you can use Subaru coolant and the additive they recommend.

hard to tell from the out of focus pictures , looks like a giant booger in the second one

Unfortunately neither my phone camera nor a normal camera are able to effectively capture the wonderful substance. I'm gonna try to extract some when the car cools off.

I drove the car around 10 miles/20 minutes and checked the coolant level. The green coolant is present again but it is still below what I believe to be the 'minimum' marker. I can't see the sludge but that likely means it is just below the green coolant.

BTW, the sludge was present after the car hadn't been driven for several hours

As i said on AI.

You have a warranty. Use it.

Another idea. Did you check the coolant with a tester to see it's freezing point? I dont know exactally how coolant acts as it's in that transitional point just before freezing since I always check mine before winter, but I would suspect a gelling of sorts may occur...

If none of you have ever replaced the coolant on your LGT yourselves, you'll want to see the subaru cooling system conditioner before posting about those pictures....

It's several ounces of thick brown goop that looks, to me, alot like what those pictures are showing. When you pour it in to your cooling system, it looks like liquid rust with the consistency of maple syrup.

If your fluid was changed 1000 miles ago, I'm guessing that they poured the conditioner directly into the overflow tank on it's own. Probably not a big deal.

IMHO, the proper way to do it is to get a sealable 1-gallon container that you mix your coolant in with distilled water, and add the goop to that. Shake it up. And then pour the mixture into the system.

If you are concerned, I wouldn't do a "power flush" personally. I'd drain the system, add 100% distilled water and run that for 15-20 minutes, drain, and then re-fill properly.

Just my .02

when the dealer also gets to fix the radio and HVAC controls that died just this evening.

Fun

This has happened to tons of people, some have hit the dash in various spots (myself included) and it comes back. others just wait a day or so and it comes back. I dont know for sure if has actually had them go out permanently? Probably, but randomlyonce, is pretty common. :rolleyes:

This has happened to tons of people, some have hit the dash in various spots (myself included) and it comes back. others just wait a day or so and it comes back. I dont know for sure if has actually had them go out permanently? Probably, but randomlyonce, is pretty common. :rolleyes:

It happened to me once or twice. Shutting down the car and re-starting does the fix for me.

Archived