LegacyGT.com

1995 legacy gt burning oil smell and acceleration issues ?

hi everyone , i'm new here, hope you're all well and enjoying xmas . this is my first subaru, and i love it! but, i have a few issues, recently started smelling smoke coming from the engine, not much but enought to stink, i popped the bonnet and found a little burning oil smoke on the right hand side of the engine bay seems to be coming from under the engine , now i'm not too sure if this has anything to do with it but at high revs around 5000+ when the second turbo kicks in on kick down (it's an auto) in all gears it seems to be choking and stuttering as if starved of fuel or loss of compression.

i'm not much of a mechanic but im thinking gasket problem ?

just wondered if anyone else has had this and if they could help me out

would be very much appreciated

cheers

tony

someone help me help him. does the oil "leak" or if the level is to high. heres why i ask...

bad head gasket=coolent in oil=higher oil level= leak. if oil can leak if to high=bad smell cause of maybe landing on pipes.

Been to the garage and was told the oil burning is leaking from the cam cover onto the exhaust and with the gasket leakinh , i could also be leaking into the valve wells clogging up the outlet and intake, causingnthe car to jerk when putting my foot down . So lets hopenthis fixes it but at £250 for the repair seems a bit steep :( especially if t doesn't fix the accelleration problem ?

Oh sorry i forgot to reply to you amp27 , there is no oil in coolant or water in oil, all seems fine on that front and oil level is right, thanx for helping me out there though because i totally forgot to check the coolant so head gasket is ruled out :)

• 2 weeks later...

so i still have a jerking / stuttering when i accelerate hard :( really don't know what to do

anyone got any ideas of what it could be ?

i don't get any warning lights, and i'm at a loss to explain why this is happening?

in the past it has caused a few plooms of smoke (black) and it has done it whilst very gently accelerating from stop

anyone who can help me please let me know

cheers

tony

Knock Sensor Fail, I had an issue with sputtering and boggin out in acceleration. knock sensor is a common problem and not too difficult to replace. You should get an error code if yours fails though I believe.

thanks for the reply i'll give that a go, i just hope that sorts it out , i don't wanna start spending thousands on replacing parts that don't fix the problem :( done it too many times in the past but this seems the cheapest part to start with.

i have been told it could be a number of things like waste gate blockage or fault, maf sensor, oxygen sensor, lambar sensor , fuel lines, fuel filter, coils ,

can anyone count these out as a fault ? i will replace the fuel filter though as it's cheap .

let me know what you think

cheers

tony

• 5 months later...

why is there more bashing in this one?? sort this thing out you guys yourselves, not on someone's thread.

my cel wire was unplugged when I got mine; when I plugged it in, I got a misfire (flashing) cel, so I just cleared it.

thanks mod!

tony, any update on what you ended up doing?

Hiya, yeah i ended up selling on for someone else to fix, the cost was outta control, it wasnt the lambda sensor, i think the turbo was on its way out, anyway thanks for the help guys, im now a van drive and gotta say im missing the speed but not missing that massive fuel bill :) cheers all

ya never know i might get another some day

Archived