LegacyGT.com

30K mile workup Expensive?

Ok so I called up the dealership and I have the work being done tomorrow. They are asking for $600 to do the 30k Mile workup. Am I being robbed? I've read a few other threads but they were for the gt and cost about $400....I know (surprised as I was), that I need my Spark Plugs swapped. So insight please

Thanks,

Alex J

Looking at my invoice, I paid $328.23 out the door. It could've been lower, but I decided to let them do stupid stuff like the air filter, tire rotation, oil change while it was there. My dealership gave me a checklist of what they typically do, and let me pick what I wanted done.

Spark plugs (22401aa65a) parts $57.36 labor $57.59 total $114.95

brake fluid parts $2.83(?!) labor $37.12 total $39.95

Engine Air Filter parts $26.34 labor $2.61 total $28.95

PCV Valve parts $16.66 labor $12.24 total $28.90

Engine Oil/Filter parts $19.95 labor $10.00 total $29.95

Tire Rotation labor $19.95 total $19.95

Adjust parking brake labor $49.95 total $49.95

misc. supplies 9.47, tax $6.16, total labor $189.46, total parts $123.14

In hindsight, I don't know if I would've done the plugs at 30k. They're platinum plugs (ngk fr5ap-11) so think they'd be fine till 60k or so. At the same time, I don't mind paying $115 every year (or every 2 years for most people) in order to stay in line with the recommended maint. intervals.

I never thought I would say this but thats not actually bad for a stealership :eek: yeah they got you a little bit on the parts and the E brake adjust was pure rape at $49.95 but the rest is a lot better than Ive been quote to just change oil and install plugs.

The stock plugs would run good up to 60K I changed my own after that outrageous quote at 30K took me an hour parts cost $40 next time around I may switch to iridium but i went with the platinum NGK ones.

Ok So I have a bit more in the ways of questions.

The book and dealership tell me that I need to do the spark plugs at 30k, but an external shop that i plan on taking my car to says I don't need to do them till like 100k. NOw this external shop plans on charging me $130 for all the work above minus the spark plugs.

Now I called up NGK about this and they say the plugs don't need work till 100k.

So anybody have any opinions as to what is going on? The plugs in question are NGK FR5AP-11.

What I am thinking is that subaru may not have installed these plugs....maybe something crappier that would need a change at 30k?

If anyone has insight on this this it would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alex J

That is high for a 30k.

The spark plugs do not need to be changed until 60k despite what your dealer and what the maintenance book states. If they insist, ask them why the LGT plugs gets changed at 60k when both plugs are platinum? Subaru used to use champions years back, but run NGK and that is the plug they use. NGK states the plug can go to 100k, but Subaru may not have designed the engine that way.

I do not put them in our 30k service package for our customers. Basically all that needs to be done is...

Oil change

Rotate tires

Replace air fitler

Replace coolant(except 09+)

Replace brake fluid

Replace transmission fluid

Inspect and adjust parking brake.

That is the bare minimum that needs to be done.

I recommend using Subaru coolant and their coolant conditioner. Subaru recommends it as well. Most independent shops do not use it. I am also leary about those shops as well being most do not know how to service Subaru's. I would recommend finding a shop that specializes in them or one that services them daily.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

The SILFR6A plug and FR5AP-11 that are in the LGT and 2.5i both can go to 60k. They are not the cheap copper plugs BKR6E-11 that are used in the older engines that get changed every 30k.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

That is high for a 30k.

The spark plugs do not need to be changed until 60k despite what your dealer and what the maintenance book states. If they insist, ask them why the LGT plugs gets changed at 60k when both plugs are platinum? Subaru used to use champions years back, but run NGK and that is the plug they use. NGK states the plug can go to 100k, but Subaru may not have designed the engine that way.

I do not put them in our 30k service package for our customers. Basically all that needs to be done is...

Oil change

Rotate tires

Replace air fitler

Replace coolant(except 09+)

Replace brake fluid

Replace transmission fluid

Inspect and adjust parking brake.

That is the bare minimum that needs to be done.

I recommend using Subaru coolant and their coolant conditioner. Subaru recommends it as well. Most independent shops do not use it. I am also leary about those shops as well being most do not know how to service Subaru's. I would recommend finding a shop that specializes in them or one that services them daily.

I actually did get my tranny juice swapped at 15-20k? I had a bunch of fat people (including myself) in the car and noticed a slight burn-y smell. I think I burnt some tranny fluid and it got dirty, (apprx 1000lbs of people).

Archived