LegacyGT.com

Why doesn't a vendor build a lip that covers oem spoiler holes?

05lgt5spd

If there are bolt holes fairly far forward, the design will be challenging, because the setup needs to drain (rainwater; melted snow) when the car is parked at all reasonable angles -- otherwise, puddles will accumulate, evaporate, and leave awful mineral stains.

I found this out the hard way when I replaced an STi trunk lid (including wing) with a plain one and stuck on a little lip spoiler. It looked great, but it didn't drain.

That said, I'll be up for one of these. I'm used to my car with the wing -- but I could easily get used to it with a lip spoiler and I'd like that better. HPH

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

What about a spoiler similar to the G35 coupe? It was wider on the sides and more narrow in the middle.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/XDroxX/Car/15468A02.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/Ferrarimanic360/photo3.jpg

• 11 months later...

its not that its a hard thing to make its that the interest vs what cost of production is just don't match up. To have a mold for Fiberglass made for that it would cost about $600-$700 bucks if its a single piece mold. Most people are cheap when it comes to car parts because asia makes them for practically nothing so in order to even profit on them you'd have to make like 30+ of them and actually have them sold. Another problem is finding a car with a stock spoiler in the area of the production person so that it can be test fit/sized etc...

Just out of curiosity post what you would be willing to pay or think something like this should cost shipped to your door.

If it looks good, I'd be willing to do up to $275 unpainted, $350+ painted!

That said, anyone looked at what a new trunk from Subaru costs? I know trying to find someone to trade trunks is nearly impossible these days, but I wonder what a new trunk would end up running - if it's in the $300+ ballpark, you might as well just buy a new trunk and one of the many already available lip spoilers.

If it looks good, I'd be willing to do up to $275 unpainted, $350+ painted!

That said, anyone looked at what a new trunk from Subaru costs? I know trying to find someone to trade trunks is nearly impossible these days, but I wonder what a new trunk would end up running - if it's in the $300+ ballpark, you might as well just buy a new trunk and one of the many already available lip spoilers.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=216335&chapter=&sectionids=0,2822&groupid=51935&subgroupid=2822&make=32&model=Legacy&year=2008&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

$400 for a new OEM lid.

$400 for a new OEM lid.

But figure in the price of shipping and paint, and the cost would be up there.

Call me cheap, but my price range is $200-$250 shipped or so.

Perhaps someone should send send Jason at R-Rev sports a link to this thread? He is currently working on a JDM style grill for our USDM legacys because enough people are interested. I wanted him to make a CF shifter surround for 5EAT cars, and he produced it.

I know, I know. I try not to think of the labor for painting.:lol:I only posted that link because I work about 2mins away from Fred Beans so shipping wouldn't be an issue. My wallet would still get wrecked by PA sales tax and paint, though. Kind of a win one, lose another situation.:spin:

Perhaps someone should send send Jason at R-Rev sports a link to this thread? He is currently working on a JDM style grill for our USDM legacys because enough people are interested. I wanted him to make a CF shifter surround for 5EAT cars, and he produced it.

I sent R-Rev a PM referring them to this thread last week, aparrently no response yet, would love to see them pull through though, they make high quality products.

On the search for a new DD...

It turns out that Subaru made a Limited lip spoiler for the Impreza that uses 3 of the existing holes from the STi wing. I would love to see something for the Legacy almost just like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/3592995000_ab4651cd86.jpg?v=0

On the search for a new DD...

Archived