LegacyGT.com

Fess up...which one of you got a ticket?

MI : 1998 Mazda 626 DX, Good Acceleration : 2 tickets, 30 in a 25 & 60 in a 45 : $150

MI: 1995 Honda Accord : 1 ticket, 80 in a 65 : $100

NC: 2005 Subaru Legacy UnLimited GT: 1 ticket, 74 in a 45, Lawyer reduced to 59 and used my PJC : $125

Insurance per year : $2700

2 week old NC Driving License + Clean Record + Not Getting Arrested: PRICELESS

I keed I keeed

One for speeding, 65 in a 55 on a wide open country road (this was back in the day of national 55 mph limits) and a couple parking tickets. One I didn't see the sign, the other I slept in late and didn't move the car to the otherside of the street for street cleaning day.

I've bee pulled over twice without any tickets issued. An airport cop at the small town airport I was working at claimed I did a rolling stop, but he was sitting in his usual spot in plain sight so I made sure it was a complete stop. It really was because he thought he'd get me for still having out of state plates, but the car was in my dad's name so it was registed in the state the owner lived in. He even made me get out of my car and sit in the back of his while he ran the license and registration. When everything came back OK he cut me loose.

The other was again I think due to out of state tags. I was on a four lane road and got caught by at least 4 or 5 red lights in a row, all in a pretty short stretch. In the lane next to me at each one was an unmarked, but obvious, cop car what with the cage and 2 uniformed officers. My sin was accelerating faster than the cop after the light turned green. I didn't jump on it, just a gradual increase on the gas and crisp acceleration. Well, they wouldn't have that from an out of stater so on go the lights.

It was a rather busy 4 lane so I see a short entrance drive into a huge parking lot for a super market right there, pull in and park, way out in the open away from the building and with no other vehicles anywhere close. The cop starts threatening to write me up for something like "unsafe start" or "unsafe acceleration" (hey, I wasn't even close to chirping the tires, which was near impossible with a '91 Talon TSi AWD automatic anyway) plus he says he can get me for "evading an officer". I told him I only thought it would be safer for both them and me to get off the highway. License and registration check, then let off with a "warning".

No tickets or stops in a long time. Mostly due to not doing anything too dumb, and speeding inteligently, not drawing attention. Plus a decent dose of plain luck. I'm sure I'll get another speeding ticket one of these days but I think I'm pretty safe if I stay within 25% over the posted limit (more like 30-35% over for Chicago tollways and expressways if traffic flow allows).

Archived