LegacyGT.com

225/45/17 on GT wagon?

bemani

The width, Ian. The other concern is the wheel width. Generally, 225s feel "better" on a 7.5 or even an 8" wheel, because more of the tire is supported by rim. Part of why my (now gone) Blizzaks felt better on the 16x7 vs 16x6.5 is precisely that...more rim support for the tire, which presents a squarer, less-squirmy cross-section to the road. Someone asked earlier why Subaru always uses such narrow wheels, but I imagine that, thinking like this (as manufacturers do for liability's sake), they would need to go to a 17x8 (17x7.5 is weird..) wheel for the Legacy, which is suddenly bigger, heavier and more expensive. Kevin

[quote name='Eclipse']225 is a bit narrow for a 8" wheel IMO. The sidewall is usually vertical yes, but it does nothing to protect the wheel at all. This makes the wheel more susceptible to both cosmetic and physical damage. Scott[/quote] Sidewall verticality is why I mention the 17x8 being ideal for the 225, speaking strictly from a rim support perspective. I didn't take protection into question. I figure that's the driver's responsibility. Kevin

you'll probably find a lot more wheel choices in 17x7.5 than 17x8. what size does the GT come with? the stock 17x7 will support a 225 no problem, and no it doesn't bulge out. that's what i use now on my toyota. if you want better performance, then you'll want to go wider on the wheel. but when you do that, you'll lose acceleration due to extra weight.

With the power of this car, I wouldn't be so concerned with the loss in acceleration due to maybe 1/2 pound of extra material. A drag car, that's one thing, average street car, even weekend racer, not that big of a deal. I agree with Kevin on the use, I'd like a somewhat wider wheel (either 7.5 or 8") to better support 225 width rubber. And we thought Kevin was the devils advocate! :woowoo:

[quote name='SUBE555']I agree with Kevin on the use, I'd like a somewhat wider wheel (either 7.5 or 8") to better support 225 width rubber. And we thought Kevin was the devils advocate! :woowoo:[/quote] First Drift Monkey, now you...what is this world coming to? :lol: Kevin

[quote name='bemani']Will it rub?[/quote] Dun worry bro..! Am running stock rims with 16mm customed spacers so as to clear my brembos front & rear yet with 225/45/17 tyres....confirm clear and it looks stunning! EA

• 2 weeks later...
I had 225/45/17 Pzero Neros on 17" UK OEM rims on my WRX wagon with SPT suspension and had no rubbing at all. If and when I get a Leg GT, I plan on keeping the stock rims and upgrading to some good 225/45/17s.

I do not know if this helps at all, but the Outback fits 225/55/17 on a 48mm offset rim 17*7. I am no expert but it you should be to fit a 225 tire in the GT wheel well . At least on a stock suspension.

225s on a 7.5" width is just fine. Actually, 215s work okey dokey as well. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of room (just eyeballed it, didn't measure) in the wheel wells so as long as you don't lower excessively you should be OK with a 225 width...similar to the WRX. I like the stock ride height for practicality. Tom

I read in one of these posts that Subaru has moved to a new hub and maybe pattern on other models and woudl likely do same for Legacy over the next year to standarize parts. So we buy new wheels for our Leg GTs today and we cannot use those expensive wheels on a new Leg GT 2-3 years from now? Looking for guidance on the mechanical part of question. Not sure anyone knows for sure that Legs will get new hub etc.

Yeah I can confirm that it does fit on the regular ride height. But if you want to fit 235 you will have to go with a higher offset rim. The alignment will also play an important role. I will be looking at this more closely as I live with the car.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='nicd']I do not know if this helps at all, but the Outback fits 225/55/17 on a 48mm offset rim 17*7. I am no expert but it you should be to fit a 225 tire in the GT wheel well . At least on a stock suspension.[/quote]\ Again, the key is the middle number. A 55 series of a 225 (55% of 225 is 123.75) tire is much taller than a 45 series of a 215 size tire. (45% of 215 is 96.75, 27mm shorter, which is a fraction over an inch.) With the taller sidewalls, tire square-ness is less of an issue, because the sidewall will bulge and flex anyway. there is much more to tires than just their section width and rim size. :wink:

Well to date the Azenis 225/45/17 on the GC-06D 17*7.5 rim is a great fit no rubbing under anyload (driving load ;-) ) or from lock to lock. Tire is noisier than most regular performance tire and ride is a little stiffer but grip is A1. Just do not us the tire for long distances keep your RE92s for that on your stock mags.

Archived