LegacyGT.com

What do you know about the '05 92X Aero?

So it essentially has all the underpinnings of a WRX with different sheet metal/bumpers, etc., however over the years being a member on LGT I have paid little attention to Nasioc, so please excuse these questions if they are noob-ish.

The '05 92X Aero has a 2.0L turbo while the '06 92X Aero has the 2.5L turbo (these are the only 2 years they were built). I always thought that all 2000+ Subies had the 2.5L turbo except the STi which had the 2.0L. Is this 2.0L that is in the 92x a rare engine that will be difficult to find modding parts for, UP, DP, Cobb AP, etc..? I have to assume it is not the STi based 2.0L.

I know with relative certainty that the brake rotors are exactly the same as the WRX of the same vintage, so the question is will Impreza/Legacy 2.5i 16" rims fit around the rotors so that less expensive snows will be able to be used?

... And lastly, what should I look for in used a turbo charged engine to avoid one that has been less than carefully maintained? I've always bought my Legacies new. My first and foremost concern is that oil was changed routinely (i.e. the banjo bolt screen clogging issue).

Guest heightsgtltd

Auto or manual? The auto sucks donkey balls.

Other differences than what you mentioned is that the steering rack is from the STI, not a reg. WRX.

Basically Saab engineers picked and chose what they wanted from the parts available to them.

The '05 92X Aero has a 2.0L turbo while the '06 92X Aero has the 2.5L turbo (these are the only 2 years they were built). I always thought that all 2000+ Subies had the 2.5L turbo except the STi which had the 2.0L. Is this 2.0L that is in the 92x a rare engine that will be difficult to find modding parts for, UP, DP, Cobb AP, etc..? I have to assume it is not the STi based 2.0L.

I'm pretty sure the wrx was 2.0 in the early years.

I have two friends with 05s. One is an auto and one is manual. My friend with auto just recently got a new car because he hated it so much. My friend with the 5 speed loves it.

IMHO they are very pretty cars. Much better looking than the wrx wagon. With wheels, drop, and tint they are beautiful.

2nd comment re: the tranny ... interesting. It's obviously a Suby AT, I wonder if WRX owners have similar comments about the transmission of that vintage?

I guess it doesn't matter too much, this one is an MT.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for in the test drive to indicate poor maintenance? I also have access to a lift to get a peek underneath, there I'd be looking at linkages, ball joints, general under carriage condition, etc.. what else? suggestions?

2nd comment re: the tranny ... interesting. It's obviously a Suby AT, I wonder if WRX owners have similar comments about the transmission of that vintage?

I guess it doesn't matter too much, this one is an MT.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for in the test drive to indicate poor maintenance? I also have access to a lift to get a peek underneath, there I'd be looking at linkages, ball joints, general under carriage condition, etc.. what else? suggestions?

The 2.0 turbo WRX auto is rare and only made for a couple years. Its the 4EAT and its a bad tranny, its weak with alot of dead spots in the gearing. While the 5EAT isnt the best auto in the world its much better than the 4EAT.

I am pretty sure the AT is actually a JATCO unit (Nissan subsidiary) since the majority of Subaru auto trannies are JATCO sourced and built/modified in-house by FHI. If it is anything like my Altima 4EAT unit, then yes, it sucks donkey balls.

Archived