LegacyGT.com

Article on Subaru sales growth during industry downturn

canis

Credit a decision four years ago by U.S. bosses to dump a strategy, dictated by executives in Japan, to go upmarket.

yeap, exactly what we have discussed here at length. Take good care of your BLs and BPs guys, they were last of a kind.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

New direction

Four years ago, Subaru officials decided to stop trying to compete with European premium brands such as Volvo and Audi -- a plan in the works when Subaru launched its previous-generation Legacy sedan and Outback wagon in 2004. Early in the decade, parent company Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. even contemplated launching a luxury car.

Boy. That's interesting. I thought Subaru always competed with Honda and Toyota :rolleyes:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

The best part is that none of the "shortcomings" they fixed with the 2010 models aren't related to their premium content or lack thereof. The changes are structural (larger, more rigid, etc.) and mechanical (powertrain).

Imagine how popular the car would be if they could have delivered that and an upscale interior. The article whines that the Legacy never competed with the Accord in price and I say GOOD. Nobody wants a stripper $18k Legacy. For the $6k in price difference the Legacy could have provided all the electronic gadgets it lacked and still maintained its premium position.

Guest heightsgtltd

"Since 2006, Subaru has cut prices, shed its quirky styling and refocused the marketing strategy on the safety and practical virtues of its five vehicles."

:lol:

Boy. That's interesting. I thought Subaru always competed with Honda and Toyota :rolleyes:

They did. Their upmarket strategy didn't come into place until the 2005 Legacy and Outback

"Since 2006, Subaru has cut prices, shed its quirky styling and refocused the marketing strategy on the safety and practical virtues of its five vehicles."

:lol:

what's funny about that? Subaru dropped the prices across the entire lineup that year... some Legacy's moved down $1,000 or more. Subaru began pushing 2.5i Impreza and Legacy that year with more focus on leasing, and the ads that ran were the "it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru." There was a concerted effort to refocus the brand. It was evident to me atleast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds like the 2010 might've been a better looking car, but dealers demanded that they change the initial design. I think the 2010 is extremely ugly, personally.

It's a shame - the sleek Euro styling and upmarket features are precisely what led me to buy a Legacy. I have no interest in an AWD Camry.

Sounds like the 2010 might've been a better looking car, but dealers demanded that they change the initial design. I think the 2010 is extremely ugly, personally.

It's a shame - the sleek Euro styling and upmarket features are precisely what led me to buy a Legacy. I have no interest in an AWD Camry.

lol... your 2.5i is boring and anonymous... and it looked like the camry of its day as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

lol... your 2.5i is boring and anonymous... and it looked like the camry of its day as well.

It's all about getting the details right. The proportions and styling elements of the B4 Legacy were far better than any Camry. Likewise on the cockpit layout and the overall interior design. And I've driven the Camry - it's like driving a Buick. It's a softly sprung car designed for old people. It's not at all like the Legacy.

All Legacy sedans are B4's. And the 2010 doesn't drive anything like a camry... regardless of how big it is. The car drives better than your generation Legacy.

and it's ugly as sin, so who cares how well it drives. :spin:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived