LegacyGT.com

Ernie's Touchless

jasonheyd

Couple of weeks driving around in the snow & salt, and my car looks like it's been through a mud-pit... driving me nuts!

Unfortunately, I've got nowhere to wash until it's warm enough outside to not freeze on contact.

Anyone have any experience pro or con with Ernie's touchless car washes in the Worcester area?

I had taken my previous car there numerous times. It never seemed to get "everything" on the car, but it was decent. Didn't hurt anything on the car. I used to go to the soft-cloth ones in that car, because it really didn't matter on that car (86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z). Touch washes always seemed to clean the car better anyway.

The next car (Mazda MX6) would always get the front plate ripped off or bent when going through a touch-wash, so I stopped going to them for only that reason.

The LGT goes touchless now because I have the transceivers on there for the laser jammer... I don't want those to get ripped off by the car wash either!

Headed out to Worcester for lunch at Vinny T's & figured I'd stop by Ernie's. Even checked the hours to make sure they'd be open on a Sunday & holiday weekend...

Pulled in, drove around the back. Closed. :mad:

Passed a Srub-a-Dub on the way out there, so I stopped in there on the way back home.

Pulled in, drove around the back. Closed. :mad:

Came home & hand-washed the car since it's almost 60 today. :)

522438779_ScreenHunter_01Dec_2715_57.gif.3a05ccf8f254f3bcdccaa59534525c6e.gif

i use the was bay and just powerwash when they are closed. stay away from the brush tho

Yeah, I could have, but I figure I've got most of the stuff I need to do it right at home, and the family was with me. I was really just hoping to squeeze in a quick wash to get all the road salt off the underbody.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't made it out to Ernie's again, but I stopped at the Srub-a-Dub in Shrewsbury this afternoon since I was out that way. I've got a nice polka-dot pattern of water spots all over the car now.

I guess if polka-dots are your thing, that might be the way to go, but I wasn't overly impressed. :)

I don't want to start another "soap" thread but this is a serious question. Do you guys plug your hood scoops with like a towel or sumthin before you put your car through the touchless carwash or is their detergeant not harmful to our intercoolers? I'm skeptical so i plug my hoodscoop with a old t-shirt when i hand wash my car. Thanks.

I don't want to start another "soap" thread but this is a serious question. Do you guys plug your hood scoops with like a towel or sumthin before you put your car through the touchless carwash or is their detergeant not harmful to our intercoolers? I'm skeptical so i plug my hoodscoop with a old t-shirt when i hand wash my car. Thanks.

I actually just stretch myself over the hood & cover the intake with my rump while the touchless rotates around the car.

:spin:

I install a new scoop-less hood and then wash the car. Then, while the scooped-hood is off, I wash it separately. The hard part is putting the scooped hood back on and getting the alignment right... but I'm getting used to it.

</sarcasm>

Seriously, though, that thread about intercoolers melting because of soap was a joke.

Seriously, though, that thread about intercoolers melting because of soap was a joke.

ahhh. sorry. I knew people were joking around about it but didn't know it was actually a false statement. I read through multiple threads about it and never got a real answer. I'm a bit gullible. Thanks for the reply schwinn.

to the OP, i've used the washbay and it's okay. the one I was in the dial to choose to soap/rinse/wax/etc. wasn't working properly. had to click into twice for it to recognize what i wanted. I was at the Grove st one. maybe the other bays/branches work better. i also thought the sprays would spray at a higher pressure but they were mediocre.

if Marlborough is closer, there's a Mobil that has a touchless that does undercarriage as well, and it has no tracks, you drive the car in there on your own. $9 for the "works" wash ($8 for one step down, and $7 is the lowest)

656 BOSTON POST RD

MARLBOROUGH,MA 01752

thats the address. it's on route 20, which if you do not know, is driven by people who have it in their "driver's contract" that they must drive below the posted speed limit at all times. this may result in symptoms of anger, depression, sadness, thoughts of suicide, and mashing the go pedal at the 2 passing zones between boston and the station. you have been warned. (i drive this every day to/from work)

Archived