LegacyGT.com

i have a question about the 5mt tranny

DJ Studa

im buyin the lgt on monday and when it is in 3,4,5 gear and u go to nail the gas(like if you were to pass someone) it just free revs.also you dont smell any clutch burn. what could it be i have a feeling it is the clutch but do you think it could be anything else, any information will help. Thanks guys Joey

Sounds like clutch to me aswell, but you should have these issues in 1st and second moreso because of how much harder you accelerate when in those gears, you would put more stress then the larger gears would. Good luck happy to see you found one!

Sounds like clutch to me aswell, but you should have these issues in 1st and second moreso because of how much harder you accelerate when in those gears, you would put more stress then the larger gears would. Good luck happy to see you found one!

Exact opposite is true. You want to be in high load situation (ie high gear/hill) to check for clutch slip. OP sounds like classic clutch slip issue.

Not quite. Classic clutch test is to try to set off in 4th uphill. If you slip then clutch is bad. If you stall then clutch is fine. If you succeed then you can give Chuck Norris driving lessons. :lol:

Exact opposite is true. You want to be in high load situation (ie high gear/hill) to check for clutch slip. OP sounds like classic clutch slip issue.

I completely understand what your saying and I agree but i have a theory why i believe in the lgt this is less relavent and I dont feel like writing paragraphs about it so ill just shut up but yes easy way to prove my point dump the clutch at 5K from a stop when you dont accelerate very fast and the revs shoot to kingdom kung you'll see my point. But what beanboy said is 100% true but im stuborn so I believe my way is just as correct.:)

Disagree - clutch interface has to work less-hard in 1 and 2 (because the lower gearing does the work) than it does under load in 3-5 (where torque loads are higher at the disk due to the engine loading in consecutively higher gearing). I've typically always had a clutch slip in a higher gear well before it slips in a lower gear.

That said, you've either got a clutch issue (disk and/or pressure plate/flywheel issue) or a mis-aligned clutch slave cylinder issue.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

or a mis-aligned clutch slave cylinder issue.

I didn't see any provision for adjusting the slave cylinder. :confused:

OP: Where is the biting point on the clutch? If it bites only just off the floor then the clutch is likely worn (my new clutch raised my biting point from 10% off the floor to 40% off the floor)

If the biting point it all the way at the top of the pedal travel then it *may* be that the car's clutch pedal has been adjusted too high and the clutch is never really releasing. It's a hail mary pass, but worth a try late in the 4th.

If it bites in the lower half the the pedal travel (normal), and it slips as you've described, then it's either a worn clutch friction disk (with almost gauranteed rivet damage to pressure plate and flywheel) or possibly engine oil or gear oil leaking from the Rear Main engine seal or trans input shaft seal onto the clutch assembly. Either way, don't buy it in that condition unless you're prepared to spend $1500 at the dealer getting it sorted. Don't pray for bad seals... The seals themselves may be are cheap but the labor is the same as a clutch job. Cha-freaking-ching.

Archived