LegacyGT.com

Scared Sh!!less! I heard a ting when doing a timing belt! HELP PLEASE!

I have a 97 Legacy 2.5 GT BD DOHC

Ok guys so heres the deal. I have read up for about two weeks before I have done this job. I took detailed notes about how the driver side cams are loaded on the springs, so when you remove the belt you need to carefully unload them until they are stable. To unload the cams you need to turn the bottom one counter clockwise (if you looking at them from the front) and you need to turn the top cam clockwise. They CANNOT turn the opposite ways of damage will happen.

Sooo... I put a breaker bar on the top cam and had it lean against the AC com pressor so the cam could not turn counter clockwise. I then took a box wrench and held the bottom cam in place while the belt was being removed. When I belt was out of the way I turned the bottom cam in the correct direction EXTREMLY slowly. About a tooth per second. At first there was force against me. Then as I passed the center of the lobs I felt force pulling away from me. When I felt no force pulling in either direction I stopped. I maybe only turned the bottom cam maybe a quarter turn. Everything seemed to be going well.

Then...I took the break bar which was attached to the top cam and slowly (one tooth per second) moved it in the clockwise direction. As I began to turn super slow the felt force against me and then as I passed the center of the lobs and the force against me lessened I heard an ever so slight "ting" and the cam then had no force in either direction.

DID I DO EVERYTHING RIGHT?

I did everything by the book the exact way I read in countless manuals.

My thoughts: The only thing I could of done wrong is not turn the first cam enough. I turned it until there was no pressure either way. But Im thinking the cam shaft had one lob opening while the other was shutting and the pressures from the springs equalled eachother so that I felt no tension in either direction on the cam gear. This gave me the false perception that the cams were unloaded. When I went to adjust the top one, they hit each other. My fears are also hightened because the passenger side cams have no tension against them and can be moved extremly easily. The drive side cams, although they dont want to move in either direction, they dont want to turn freely either. Which scares the shit out of me.

Are my predictions correct? Please tell me I'm wrong. Someone please tell me it was only the subtle sound of the valves shutting or something.

How much does it cost to get valves redone?

It is difficult to tell based on your description. I installed my camshafts all in the "no-lift" position and there is a good 90+ degrees of free rotation before the cam lobes contact the lifters. It is entirely possible that you set the cam straddling the two peaks which would have left all the valves partially open.

I paid $115 for a valve-job at Burns Auto Parts in Methuen, MA. I also needed four new intake valves which cost me $50 from Exeter Subaru. Just make sure you tell the machinist what valve lash you want and he will set everything up for you.

Well I started the car today and it started up fine. No ping noise seems to be ok. I need to do a few more things and then Ill take it out for a test drive. Im guessing if I dont hear anything and there is no power loss I should be all set. I have tons of pictures as well. Ill try to create a detailed post about how to remove cam seals since I cant seem to find one anywhere.

Archived