LegacyGT.com

Wheel size snows

VTlgt

To my knowledge 235 is too large for a 7" wheel... besides why would you want to run wider for the Winter? If anything you should be looking at a narrower tire for better snow traction. The idea is to 'cut' through the snow, a wider tire just packs it down.

Xi2's are what I am using (215's). They are supposed to be very good and so far I like them quite a bit. I bought them locally (Rouse tire) and you probably can find them at a few other places, although they may be hard to come by locally right now because I'm sure some people who didnt have snows on are scrambling right now

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

VTlgt, as with anything else "good" is relative. :)

In specific, it's relative to what you expect of the tires, since every tire, due to the limitations of modern technology, is still a compromise.

The Xi2s are nearly universally agreed to be an excellent "Studless Ice & Snow" tire, with excellent snow and ice traction, but they don't fare as well in clear conditions, when compared against the "Performance Winter" genre tires. In addition, subjectively, these tires won't feel as "planted" at-speeds, on clear highways, when compared to the "Performance Winters."

Choose your tires to fit your specific wants and needs, VTlgt. :) It'll do you no good to get the "best ranked" "Studless Ice & Snow, if what you're looking for can be better fulfilled with a "Performance Winter" or, at the other extreme, a studded tire.

I run a "Performance Winter" on my LGT. I run the Xi2s on my wife's '09 Forester XT. Two different tires, for two very different purposes. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 4 weeks later...

Need some feedback...trying to decide between two different sets of used Blizzaks for sale locally. Price is about the same on each set. According to Bridgestone's site, these are the specs for each:

Blizzaks WS-60 - 225/45R17

Measuring rim width: 7.5"

Overall tire diameter: 25"

Overall section width: 8.9"

Blizzaks LM-25 - 205/45R17

(for some reason they don't list the 45 series, only 50, so these specs are for the 50)

Measuring rim width: 6.5"

Overall tire diameter: 25.1"

Overall section width: 8.4"

My car has Cobb lowering springs, so that is one factor, not that I'm really worried about either of these tires rubbing; my main concerns are snow traction, handling, ride quality.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

As mentioned, we can't tell you which is 'best'. You need to identify the tire that suits your conditions..

If I remember correctly you're comparing two very different, but good, 'winter tires':

WS-60 is a winter duty snow tire. Not the best choice for a lot of highway driving, but will plow thru moderate snow.

LM-25 is a performance snow tire. Street/highway winter driving.

Very good point. I didn't realize there was that much difference between the two, thanks for pointing that out. I did some more research into them, and I would say the LM-25 is probably better suited to the type of driving I do, which does involve a fair amount of daily highway miles at higher speeds.

I also didn't phrase my original post very well; my question should have been, will either of these sizes (205/45 vs. 225/45) pose any problems with the LGT, and in particular a lowered setup? I read this FAQ and it says this about 205/45/17:

"205/45/17 (only for FAST acceleration and torque; for autocrossing only , do not use for daily driving)" Why is this size not recommended for daily driving?

Archived