LegacyGT.com

Car stuttered upon start up

How can I tell if my starter is going bad and how much does it cost to replace? The last 2 days when I've started my car it's had a weird stutter. I know I'm due for a new battery, but my lights still shine bright when the car isn't running. The stutter has only happened twice; once when the car was warm and once when it was cold. I turn the key and it turns as usual and then makes a weird chokey sound and then starts up. Any thoughts?

It's winter time?

Sorry, I got nothin...

Yup, winter time makes sense. It's probably all that extra additive crap and ethanol they put in the gas here. I'm just trippin.

I think I'm gonna cop a new battery though...

I'm no mechanic and please excuse my onomonopia....

I think if it were the starter, you'd more likely have a [nothing/click], [nothing/click], Vrroom (normal start) series of symptoms. Over time, starters typically get 'dead spots', so they will not seem to 'try' to start the car.

The battery being old sounds like that is a more likely suspect - battery problems are more typically rrrmm...rrrm...VRROOM! [studders then an actual start]. The cold combined with possible slight flooding from attempting to start would help explain the studder type symptom.

Mine makes the same exact noise. I was kinda worried about this also, although realized when I get in after the car has been sitting in the cold, it makes the noise. If I have recently driven the car and brought it up to normal opperating temperature, turn the car off and start it again sometime shortly after the noise does not happen despite how cold it is. Kind of wondering if its just the cold, Ive never had the car seem like it wasn't going to start just a loud noise after it starts

My car has turned over slowly every time when it gets under 40 degrees since I bought it last year. I put in a new battery (because I wanted another optima, and the OEM was leaking) and it turns over the same. IT always starts, it just takes it a second. Not sure if your issue is similar or not, but this has come up many times. Seems like some more of what makes a subaru a subaru...lol

Archived