LegacyGT.com

Haven't blown your turbo yet? Replace Banjo bolt.

bignickgt

I wanted to start this thread to help clarify and make everyone that hasn't blown there stock turbo yet aware of the "banjo bolt screen" that gets clogged up which in turn starves the turbo from oil...

I for one wasn't aware of this problem on these cars until I read it on another thread that people were blowing turbos because of this problem. I want to prevent this from happening to me and others but I'm not completely sure if i understand the situation at full and if it can be prevented or not.

If someone could please clarify for us whether turbo seize up can be prevented just by replacing or cleaning the the oil system mesh screens it would be really appreciated.

Also another word of caution is everyone look out for their Oil pickup lines, supposedly the tube cracks on occasion and could also starve the engine from oil!...

I can't believe the nightmares this car has.:eek:

Nick

I can't believe the nightmares this car has.:eek:

Nick

really? "nightmares" is a bit of a huge exaggeration don't you think?

As countless people have stated here before everyone jumps on the band wagon when there is a problem with their car and everyone reports the same problem. yet no one seems to pay attention to the others of countless people here who've not had many problems with their car.

Can you name me a car that doesn't have problems? Has man really ever been able to make the perfect car that doesn't have some issue?

Check out http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27680&highlight=miles and notice how many cars there have not had many issues. Mine included with 130k on it. Other than regular maintenance repairs I think the only two repairs I've had to make were clutch and replacing a wheel bearing twice.

Not attacking you Nick, but getting tired of people saying this car is a "nightmare".

oh, and for your original post. I changed my turbo out at around 120k just as a precaution and I had no problems with my banjo bolt or oil pick up tube. Could it have been because I was religious about changing my oil every 3-5k? I don't know. certainly not an anomoly.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Did I mention I'm new to this? Sorry to have offended anyone. Also I did search at first but couldn't find it until just now. c-lo Thanks for your input.

no worries man. like 94sportssedan said, keep changing your oil and you'll be fine. i did check my banjo bolt at 120k and it too was clean as a whistle.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

As countless people have stated here before everyone jumps on the band wagon when there is a problem with their car and everyone reports the same problem. yet no one seems to pay attention to the others of countless people here who've not had many problems with their car.

Can you name me a car that doesn't have problems? Has man really ever been able to make the perfect car that doesn't have some issue?

Check out http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27680&highlight=miles and notice how many cars there have not had many issues. Mine included with 130k on it. Other than regular maintenance repairs I think the only two repairs I've had to make were clutch and replacing a wheel bearing twice.

Not attacking you Nick, but getting tired of people saying this car is a "nightmare".

oh, and for your original post. I changed my turbo out at around 120k just as a precaution and I had no problems with my banjo bolt or oil pick up tube. Could it have been because I was religious about changing my oil every 3-5k? I don't know. certainly not an anomoly.

+1. My car has been great since I've had it for over a year, most of that time at Stage II. Besides just regular oil changes and other maintenance, no problems whatsoever. I have inspected the suspect banjo bolt to find no clogging.

Is there any turbo vehicle from any manufacturer that has had no issues with blown OEM turbos? :confused: Forced induction by its very nature breeds the potential for additional problems down the road. Simply, there's more parts and systems that can break down. It's a question of who can manufacture it to keep these catastrophic failures to a bare minimum. It would be interesting to see what company makes the most reliable line of forced induction vehicles.

Mitsubishis seem to have no trouble with 100k+ out of stock turbos. My 89 Mirage turbo had the stocker at 190k miles. The TD04/5 family is pretty stout.

I think the screen issue happens after the turbo blows. The real contributor to toasted turbos is the "narrow urethra" of the tiny supply line between the head and the turbo.

so true different forums same issues.

i just traded my 2006 honda ridgeline in last weekend for my legacy.

the ridgeline was a great vehicle only problem i ever had was the back seat bracket broke (or a washer inside the frame). if you read the forum it was literally 10 pages about it you would have thought it was an epidemic.

the truth was of the ten pages there were about 15 people with this problem lol

great car so far

You know, since this car is such an OMFG "NIGHTMARE", I'd have thought you'd have found out all of the problems in the research you did before buying it.

Here's the deal, since this thing is such a horrible "nightmare" for you, how about I give you 100 bucks to relieve you of it? You'll have gotten rid of your automotive nightmare, and be up 100 bucks. Sound reasonable?

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

You know, since this car is such an OMFG "NIGHTMARE", I'd have thought you'd have found out all of the problems in the research you did before buying it.

Here's the deal, since this thing is such a horrible "nightmare" for you, how about I give you 100 bucks to relieve you of it? You'll have gotten rid of your automotive nightmare, and be up 100 bucks. Sound reasonable?

By the sounds of it there little fella, my "nightmare" is worth more than anything and everything you own. But hey I'll still take your hundred bucks since so your caring...

Also a last note anyone that has a nit to pick with others posts, keep your obnoxious comments to yourself.

If you keep your car maintained and don't beat on it day in and day out, it'll last. Also by keeping it maintained, you'll be able to catch a lot I

of problems (maybe not all) before they happen.

Cars are always going to break. If you're worried about it, then don't get one. Otherwise, by doing research you get get the best one with the best reliability. All in all, Subaru does a good job in this department.

Screw the oil starvation, you should be more worried about soap in your intercooler.

:)

But, humor aside, let's get this back on topic and keep the personal "affrontery" out of the thread. Looking for constructive, real-world comments about personal experience with these banjo bolts and any associated oil starvation issues. Otherwise, this thread will quickly wend its way to the closed thread pile where it does no one any good.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived