LegacyGT.com

CEL misfire 3 and 4??

hey, im looking at a 98 Outback 30th annv with a 2.2 swap from a 99 Legacy. Its stick and the guy wants 1400. not a bad deal i guess.the car is clean. he called me and said the other night theCEL came on, read the code and 3/4 are misfiring. you can here it when u rev it, it hesitates.

i looked up what it could be.coil?? cam/sensor, o2 sensor, bad oil pressure, or timing. im thinking its a crank sensor. when you rev it, it vibrates. but idles fine. cna you guys give me some help on what it is? i plan on getting it checked out by a mechanic. thanks! -Billy

hey pontiac,

I been through this situation myself as my car has a burnt valve and its a good chunk of money to replace but first off, 95+ outbacks came with the ej25 motors which is the 165hp motor meaning more power than the ej22 that was swapped in there. You only gain your getting out of it is avoiding the head gasket issue the the ej25 have. But back to your problem, there are a couple of things you want to do before buying it with those misfires.

check the coil packs, spark plug wires, spark plugs to see if they have oil on them, and after have him take it to get a compression test done on the motor how much comrpession your looking in those cylinders. the other stuff that mentioned is extremely easy to replace and if one if not the answer you just take it back to the store and get the next piece and see if it works.

let me know if this helps

Im in the same boat. I have a 97 LGT 2.5. I keep getting a CEL that says misfire in #3 and #4. What I seem to be stuck on is that if there was a misfire in two out of the four cylinders, you would expect the car to buck and shake and stall. But the car seems like run just fine when the CEL is blinking. It only happens on the highway. I replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack, and fuel filter. Ran sea foam through the heads and injector cleaner in the gas. There are only two things I could suspect, either a head gasket leak (but I only have 75000 miles) or maybe a sensor giving a bad reading? At idle, the car seems to fluctuate about 500 RPM's, only once in a while.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking I should do a compression test and radiator fluid check (for carbon in the fluid) to narrow down the possibilities.

I see a lot of CEL for misfire threads but I wanted to talk to guys with older legacy's and not all the 2005's and up...

3+4 misfire could be the coil. Because 3+4 spark at the same time with the way the coil is setup. Mine sometimes does when it is really wet and rainy out.

Could try a now coil and see if that solves it.

When things really get weird is when you have a 1+3 or 2+4, or some other combo of misfire.

hey thank you for the reply..they guy changed the coil and said the plugs/wires are fine also.the coil didnt help.he did the water pump and didnt replace the timing belt because it looked fine..the engine is at 90k and around the usual time for it to be replaced. i heard 2.2 in 99 have alot of timing belt problems. it idles fine you hear it when its revved . is it the belt?the guy said it is. thanks for the help

hey thank you for the reply..they guy changed the coil and said the plugs/wires are fine also.the coil didnt help.he did the water pump and didnt replace the timing belt because it looked fine..the engine is at 90k and around the usual time for it to be replaced. i heard 2.2 in 99 have alot of timing belt problems. it idles fine you hear it when its revved . is it the belt?the guy said it is. thanks for the help

He replaced the water pump at 90k but not the timing belt? What an idiot. Go somewhere else.

• 2 years later...
Im in the same boat. I have a 97 LGT 2.5. I keep getting a CEL that says misfire in #3 and #4. What I seem to be stuck on is that if there was a misfire in two out of the four cylinders, you would expect the car to buck and shake and stall. But the car seems like run just fine when the CEL is blinking. It only happens on the highway. I replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack, and fuel filter. Ran sea foam through the heads and injector cleaner in the gas. There are only two things I could suspect, either a head gasket leak (but I only have 75000 miles) or maybe a sensor giving a bad reading? At idle, the car seems to fluctuate about 500 RPM's, only once in a while.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking I should do a compression test and radiator fluid check (for carbon in the fluid) to narrow down the possibilities.

I see a lot of CEL for misfire threads but I wanted to talk to guys with older legacy's and not all the 2005's and up...

I know this is old but here my story.. I have a 97 OBW and for like around 4-5 months NO CEL at all for 3&4.. So all I do is pull the battery and change my starter contacts and I get constant 3&4 blinking CEL.. Car while driving does not drive any different.. you can go WOT when the CEL is blinking and no hesitation at all.

I did the plugs and picked up some Subaru wires which were cheaper then the NGK.. but maybe I should try the coil pack next? last time I checked it was within spec.. but then again I have 237K on my car.

Archived