LegacyGT.com

99 Legacy Swapped STI

hey guys/girls

i have a 99 Legacy wagon. im quite good with cars and stuff but still kind of new to subaru. i got my hands on a 2006 STI i can take any parts i want from it for reallllly good prices. i would like to kno what i need to make this swap possible.

thanks for the help

That is a good question. I have always had the intention of putting an STi engine in my 99 legacy. Hope all goes well. I have been told that the sti housing will bolt to the trany though because the bell housing is the same shape. Other than that I have heard that wiring or computer problems may come up.

• 2 weeks later...

yup its not that hard you acually got the hard part out the way, getting the motor haha, if you have access to the parts grab the tranny as well!

but check nasioc.com or even sl-i.net they have some knowledge over there as well

good luck

The total sleeper....

;-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

ACUALLLY the a total sleeper would be an sti chassie covered with a large square cardboard box with curedly drawn windows door handles and other misc items on it. people would not know its a car nor fathom it being fast hahahaha;)

:lol:

can ya post up ya progress, i have a 98 legacy wagon, wanna do tha "swap" ha ha maybe in a couple months, not to much in a rush as need to get tha moneys, but yeah that would be cool! wish ya were closer to texas def would love to help ya out so i could see it come to life!

Hi i was thinking about doing an sti swap on my 97 legacy 2.5 gt. would it be easier and cheaper to turbo my 2.5 motor or do an sti swap? roughly anyone know what it would cost to do a swap? i would need to swap my car to a standard too cause its auto.

Sorry to bust your bubble bud, but you would be WAY better off buying another car (like an 05 LGT) than attempting a motor swap and tranny swap and conversion. Selling your car and picking up a used stock turbo'd M/T Subaru would most likely save you thousands. And it would be a lot more reliable than slapping a turbo on your current motor. :redface:

^^ yup he is right, there going sti takes a nice padded budget and usually the people that can do it have a second car to spare as your car would be out of commission for good time. Buying the block fully built or just the long block will set you back a couple thousand and if your not handy with a wrench the shop will field day with your pocketbook. Its just all the work thats involed if you dont have the paycheck pieces at your disposal like spyder_099 here than its better to save your money and buy an 05lgt. But to answer your question your looking at 7-9k depending on where you get your parts and who does your labor.

But on an upside, there are other ways to get some power out of our cars without breaking the bank, there is a supercharger kit for our cars (ej251-3) that is direct bolt on. this kit goes for a good 1800-2500 and you wont have to change your auto tranny and you can be as fast as a stock wrx with optional pieces to add on. There is also a thread on sl-i.net of a guy who did his own supercharger kit and it cost him less than a grand. Hopefully this helps im just tryna show you there are other ways to be fast without the price tag and plus be unique on the way

You might be better off buying the STI (the whole car) Then just part it out. There have been a few people on nasioc that have bought wrx's on the cheap and after selling parts they break even or come out ahead. Everything should bolt in, its the wiring that is the hard part.

o yea the wiring is mind blowing. i am new with my 96lgt it took me a few second to find the engine. ha. i couldnt imagine doing a swap and tranny swap. i got a lot of learning to do if i even wanna turbo my car. i dont even know what i wanna do. i might just get it running. maybe a CAI and uneven headers and lighter flywheel then just deck out the cosmetic things. o gosh the rust is bad. sorry offtopic.

yea im going to do the labor my self with my dad seeing how he is a master certified tech. and im going to school to be a mechanic and i own a dsm. subaru is my winter car. put my 97 eclipse gst up for the winter. thanks for you input guys. i was looking towards buying a wrecked or salveged wrx and swapping the motor, tranny and ecu and wiring out into my legacy. im just starting to get to know subarus seeing how im used to owning dsm's. so this is why im asking.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats up man the swaps a little rough, as far as the motor it will bolt right in if you get a turbo crossmember. Salvadged car would be the way to go you could use some parts from that. You could take the wire harness out so you would have a good idea how it goes back in. Their are places that'll splice your harness with the wrx harness. Save alot of time but... completed my swap not to long ago and now that I look back worth it. The wiring is hard You'll have to change all the plug ends for power locks power windows ect. The only plug that was the same was the stereo. If you have any questions hit me up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived