LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket HID

Th3Franz

[quote name='Richard B.']i have had the apexcone on for over a year now. been behind and in front of cops. nothing. not one person has flashed me. didnt re-aim them or anything. i have the 4300/4500 kit. cant remember exactly the color. looks stock.[/quote] Great to know. I have the JDM projectors so the light is the opposite of RHD. But, so far no one else on the road seems to have a problem and I'm using 55w Stage1 5900K bulbs. They look okay but they just aren't white/bright enough for me... Was thinking about upping to an 85w or 100w if there wasn't going to be any issues. Mine are also H1 bulbs... So, I'm not quite sure how that will work out either.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

[quote name='eekay']Great to know. I have the JDM projectors so the light is the opposite of RHD. But, so far no one else on the road seems to have a problem and I'm using 55w Stage1 5900K bulbs. They look okay but they just aren't white/bright enough for me... Was thinking about upping to an 85w or 100w if there wasn't going to be any issues. Mine are also H1 bulbs... So, I'm not quite sure how that will work out either.[/quote] ahh...im using the 35w setup. no melting or anything so far.

[quote name='Richard B.']ahh...im using the 35w setup. no melting or anything so far.[/quote] Nice. I'll look into the HID setup then and see what I come up with. Thanks.

[quote name='DarkOblivion000']Wow... 100W... I'm not sure many people on the forum will be able to answer your questions at the 100W level.[/quote] Seriously? Isn't 85w-100w the standard for HID lights? And by that, I mean 7000K-12000K? Someone has to at least have tried to toss these HIDs into their fixtures... If not, maybe I'll just go ahead and be the guinea pig...

[quote name='eekay']Seriously? Isn't 85w-100w the standard for HID lights? And by that, I mean 7000K-12000K? Someone has to at least have tried to toss these HIDs into their fixtures... If not, maybe I'll just go ahead and be the guinea pig...[/quote] 35w is standard HID wattage, with 55w kits available for more output. I've never even heard of 85w-100w HID kits. You sure you didn't see these wattages refering to halogen bulbs?

[quote name='TRSCobra']35w is standard HID wattage, with 55w kits available for more output. I've never even heard of 85w-100w HID kits. You sure you didn't see these wattages refering to halogen bulbs?[/quote] Oh. Sorry. I was talking about bulbs... Not the actual 12w that would be going to the ballast. My fault.

[quote name='lilbrudder']holly zombie thread! HID's are great for this car, just get a good brand with a warranty, we got electrical gremlins.[/quote] Which car, exactly? I'm in a '99 Legacy GT with JDM projectors (non-HID ATM.) I'm essentially making sure that higher K output HIDs don't screw up my headlights. I can always buy more, but why?... if that makes sense.

Moved... HID bulbs and systems themselves produce less heat than the equivalent incandescent. But, Running a 100W system on a 35W system produces more heat ;) It has nothing to do w/ the HIDs and everything to do with the idiots using a system that has too high of wattage...
:spin:

[quote name='praedet']Moved... HID bulbs and systems themselves produce less heat than the equivalent incandescent. But, Running a 100W system on a 35W system produces more heat ;) It has nothing to do w/ the HIDs and everything to do with the idiots using a system that has too high of wattage...[/quote] Exactly why I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I jump in any direction... :)

ALright, I am by no means the resident HID expert or anything, but let me clarify something. The light rating of the HID's (6000k, 8000k, 10000k, 12000k, etc) has NO effect on the amount of heat generated, OR the amount of power consumed. Ratings for power consumed for a bulb are generally in the 35W, 55W range. However, I HAVE heard of bulbs taking up to 85W... but in all those cases I have also heard you need to upgrade your headlight brackets that hold the headlights; I heard components melt down under that kind of heat stress. I know our stock headlight housings are not meant to hold up that kind of heat. Light output is just that; the amount of light output. 4500k is the whitest, 6000k is white with a tint of blue, 8000k is more blue, 10000k is very very blue, 12000k is purplish. I believe 4500k-5000k has the most amount of usable light output. However, this has nothing to do with power consumed. There are 35W HID kits with all of those light outputs. I would NOT suggest using anything over 55W in power in our stock headlight housings. 55W kits are PLENTY bright for all practical uses. I would also not suggest going over 8000k in light output, as it is very ricey, and also blows in rainy weather as you will not be able to see sh*t. Again to summarize: light output is not the same as power consumption change in light output will not screw up your headlights. change in power consumption might.

What you're calling "light output" is actually "[B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature"]color temperature[/URL][/B]". Typically, in order achieve a certain color temperature, the manufacturer will coat the bulbs. This can reduce the intensity of the light, measured in [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_%28unit%29"]lumens[/URL][/B], for the same amount of power consumption (Watts).

Great information! Thanks guys. I'll certainly stick with whatever is safest so I suppose that'll be the 35w setup. Anyone have any recommendations as to which HID kit(s) I should grab for an H1 bulb setup?

[quote name='MiniStiGuy']most of them are made by the same parts manufacturer so I usually just suggest something with a lifetime warranty so that you don't have to worry if something does go out.[/quote] Again, great info. Thanks all!

[quote name='Underdog']What you're calling "light output" is actually "[B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature"]color temperature[/URL][/B]". Typically, in order achieve a certain color temperature, the manufacturer will coat the bulbs. This can reduce the intensity of the light, measured in [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_%28unit%29"]lumens[/URL][/B], for the same amount of power consumption (Watts).[/quote] Yea, sorry, couldn't find the right words :p But yea, usable light output is dependent on color temperature, so two sides of the same coin. [quote name='eekay']Great information! Thanks guys. I'll certainly stick with whatever is safest so I suppose that'll be the 35w setup. Anyone have any recommendations as to which HID kit(s) I should grab for an H1 bulb setup?[/quote] Look at the vendors on this board... there are a few kits being offered, namely the DDM (lifetime warranty, but seems ot be cheapest and lowest quality of the bunch, but still much better than ebay/other cheap brands out there, I've had one for a year and no problems at all), the Volt, the Xtreme, I think if you look in the vendor threads, Crucial is offering a kit at $100 as well and some others. Look around, this forum is a great resource.

Archived