LegacyGT.com

Cheapo Torn Boot Fix

Ok,

So this happens alot - torn boot, what to do? Since reman / new axles are so cheap, might as well just replace the axle right?

Well, I don't want to spend $70 + the time to change it (even if this is 30 minutes like some guys here claim), and if you don't hear the dreaded axle click, try the technique below:

1. Inspect for grit - if the joint inside the boot feels really gritty, damage may happen soon so change the axle. If not, continue.

2. If the joint feels pretty clean, get some axle grease and pack into joint with gloved fingers. Make sure this is proper CV grease.

3. Take heavy duty trash bag, fold into a rectangle 8" x 10" (you will have multiple layers of trash bag)

4. Tape down the four edges with duct tape so that the individual layers will not shift around

5. Wrap around the old cv boot like a cocoon- no need to remove the old boot. Tape the sheet to form a cylinder and then wrap the edges down to the CV.

6. Tape down the two edges onto the axle shaft on either side, make sure there is enough material to cover the full range of motion.

http://i35.tinypic.com/10xheec.jpg

I've seen several methods of this quick fix, some with inner tubes (harder to find), and some with only duct tape (less resilient) but never this particular method which is just seriously cheap. I know this is usually regarded as a "temporary fix" but I would argue that it is pretty damn resilient and a hell of a lot cheaper than even a remanufactured axle. More updates to come after rain, salt and snow, and a 400 mile trip this weekend. At the very least, it will give you a lot more time until you absolutely have to replace the axle, and peace of mind over just driving without doing anything.

so, pros:

1. cheap

2. readily accessible materials

3. water proof membrane

4. covers everything

5. no removal of axle for anything

6. ghetto-fabulous

cons:

1.cheap materials compared to a real boot

2.super ghetto (especially if you need to take the car to a shop)

It goes without mentioning - proceed at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
You CAN buy just the boots for like $10 each.

But, I like your creativity there. Not a bad idea.

yes, but gotta pull the axle to replace no? how to? mine needs to be replaced but I was going to have it done when I have my control arm bushings replaced.

which is soon.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived