LegacyGT.com

wierd noise after kartboy install,synchros?

GP2001

Hey guys,installed my kartboy sts last night and am hearing an odd noise. It happens primarily in 1st and 2nd gear,but I can hear it a little randomly in 3rd and 4th. It sounds like a spinnging/humming/vibration noise,increases in speed with relation to the car accelerating. Its coming from the transmission,drove around with all the covers off that area and everything with the shifter is fine. Grinded the metal plate so it can't touch anywhere, it honestly sounds like synchros. Gets louder if I rest my hand on it,any ideas? Is this normal/should I be worried? What is the cost to replace synchros if need be? Why would this happen after installing a sts? The noise definitely wasn't there before...

It sounds like you're just hearing the usual sounds from the transmission, especially the straight-cut first and second gears. Mine shounds the same way. That foam and rubber insulation piece that was there kept most of those noises out of the cabin, but if you have have it removed you can hear it all a lot more.

It sounds like you're just hearing the usual sounds from the transmission, especially the straight-cut first and second gears. Mine shounds the same way. That foam and rubber insulation piece that was there kept most of those noises out of the cabin, but if you have have it removed you can hear it all a lot more.

Yeah, but whats odd is I hear it with all the foam and rubber back in place, and I didnt hear anything with my stock shifter, which makes me think something is up... Why would the STS make me be able to hear this noise all of a sudden?

I definitely have transmission whine .... especially in 2nd gear since I did Kartboy STS and bushings.

Have been running this setup for 2+ years with no issues at all.

No idea why the increased noise but recall reading threads where other members experienced the same thing.

Yes indeed. Cobb shifter here. I did remove a good amount of foam and rubber though to prevent binding.

Not trying to advocate this, but I swapped in AMSOIL 75w110 Severe Gear and the noises went way down. Still there, just significantly less. That was about 20k miles ago. I don't hear people commenting the same about Extra-S, but it might help too and that's one of the overall favorites.

Joe

P.s. The AMSOIL is the correct viscosity for this car, it's basically a 75w90 just planted at the high end of the viscosity range. Works normal in 10 degree weather (which means it's stiff but functional).

Archived