LegacyGT.com

Perrin 25mm rear bars on sale at Perrin for $109.99

CDN 2.5i

No experience with the Perrin but I had the Cobb set, with rear on full stiff. Unfortunately the front got damaged and I had to go back to stock and shortly there after had to change the rear to soft since the oversteer was a little too much for the snow. So I wouldn't recommend anyone running this bar without an upgraded front bar unless you rarely see any slippery roads. While not a perfect match I do have the replacement Cobb bar for sale here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123054&highlight=perrin+sway if anyone is interested.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're pretty thick. More than up to the job IMO. Just not as well finished or designed in terms of aesthetics. 100% functional though. Basically same concept as AVO. I haven't had a set of the AVOs in hand so can't say definitively, but they certainly appear as though they are as beefy.

I have done just about all that anyone can do to prep the suspension for the track and it still understeers.

A stiffer rear bar will add oversteer so... if you are staying light on the bar stiffness and don't want to go all the way to 25mm then a 21mm front and 22mm rear isn't bad. You will still understeer when really pushed but if you don't drive your car like some of us do then your fine. Understeer at the limit is also much safer.

After I buy the Perrin rear bar I'll have the Cobb 22mm front, Perrin 25mm rear and -2,5f & -1.5r and hoping for much less understeer. I'll let ya know.

does this mean you recommend going with a 22mm with the stocker front 21mm (though I do believe our front bars are hollow)
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Now that's something I should have mentioned. My experience is in steady state cornering trying to find a fast line. I can easily induce oversteer under power with more aggressive steering input or lift off throttle (more common on the street).

When you search to cure the strong tendency to understeer the compromise is when the rear does come out you will be trying harder to control it but what I have found is that the LGT never surprises me. I know when it's coming out and I know how to dial it back in. Gotta love the Suby AWD.

Remember I'm on SoCal so I don't get much time to play in the wet ;)

Just throwing this out there...

I'm setup with Cobb Sways (matched set) with reinforcement brackets on the rear and stock endlinks. Been running for ~20k now.

I recently took the car out on damp (not soaking) roads after a rain. It was about 45 degrees out. No one was around so i decided to do some testing to see how much the car would oversteer with some steering input and lots of throttle in 1st or 2nd gear.

This is on the stock re92s with 32k miles.

The result: mostly hardcore oversteer well before I expected it. It was incredibly easy to get the rear end to step out significantly (as in rear end of the car completely in the other lane, front end of the car still pulling forward in the correct lane).

I definitely was provoking the car to do this, but I also was nowhere near doing anything crazy. To give an example: if I had made a right turn on red with traffic coming faster than I expected, I might turn the wheel and gun it just like I did. If a car had been on the other side, I would've side swiped them in the process. That's about the equivalent of how much I "provoked" the car.

I love my Cobb sways, and everyone needs to test them out to find when and how they oversteer, but even with a balanced set and only damp roads (not yet snow or ice), you need to be aware of the tendencies.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

yeah, not end of the world and it's important to note that this was occuring on semi-worn stock tires (which are notoriously bad in the wet) when it's getting cold out and there were probably some leaves on the damp road as well.

It's fun when it's deliberate, but it didn' just slightly step out. It took the full monty route :)

Another option is the Progress reinforcement brackets.

They're not as pretty as the AVOs but they're way less money too at $29.75.

I sprayed mine black...

http://www.progressauto.com/products/searchType/vehicleSearch/year/2005/make/Subaru/model/Legacy%20GT/productID/481

Is that for a set, or $29.75 per bracket? I might pick these up also.

Another option are MSI endlinks which offer a lifetime warranty :)

I don't know why everyone doesn't go with these. I've been using them on the track for years. There's essentially nothing to wear out. Maybe that's why they've got a lifetime waranty?

^ yea man, pls update. you should like the setup. H techs should feel better on Queens roads than other springs which tend to be stiffer than the H techs. Also port your thoughts on the Rallitek endlinks. I ended up going with Kartboys, as Ralliteks werent in stock by the vendor of my choice.

I got both perrin bars now f&r 25mm, and the progress reinforcement mounts for the rear. What setting is everyone running with these!, and what is recommend? I know winter is coming up. I'm thinking of going full stiff with these bars.

I'd try them out full stiff for now, that way you get the most out of them. If you find it's too much, you can back them off.

Alternatively, set them up full soft so you can see how much of an improvement they make even at the softest setting, then come spring/summer, turn them up to full stiff :)

Archived