LegacyGT.com

07 Legacy without sunroof?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well this thread got out of hand.....im in to see who wins:hide:

....anybody like this guys origionality? i think we all know that noone will notice the difference in cornering, ride times or ride quality....but if the guy wants to lose his sunroof and plug the hole with carbon fiber, is it the end of the world? hell, mabye he just hates his kids always wanting the sunroof down. if he gets rid of it theyll stfu on long rides.....no more wind noise or whining.

then again if he did develop a coke habbit, hed prolly lose alot of coordination and start dropping his mirrors. eventually hed need to take the sunroof out so hed have a nice surface to blow some of that powder off of. he could just be preparing in advance.......

forget about trunk swaps..... the new thing is ROOF SWAPS!!1 http://smiliesftw.com/x/headbang_1.gif:lol:

Hell yeah! I'll bet somebody could make him a full CF roof, or he could buy one from an E93 M3 and make it work!

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

agreed. but try telling some suburban wives, or teenage girls, or the guy whose dad rolls in a 5series beamer that sunroof, leather and automatic seats are marketing gimmics. These days, i believe that the majority of ppl prefer them. Not you, not me....but most americans consider these things as necessary in their cars. Just look at the trend of yr after yr as base models of every make become more upscale with more options.

Look deeper! The real problem is that most people can't think for themselves. Essentially, they prefer marketing guys telling them what to eat, drink and drive.:cool: Talking about cars - you forgot to mention "the sport trim", which on most cars, even BMWs means more weight and money for the useless decorations that'll hurt your performance. But as long as it says "sprot" - people buy without engaging their brain... Very 1984-ish...

Look deeper! The real problem is that most people can't think for themselves. Essentially, they prefer marketing guys telling them what to eat, drink and drive.:cool: Talking about cars - you forgot to mention "the sport trim", which on most cars, even BMWs means more weight and money for the useless decorations that'll hurt your performance. But as long as it says "sprot" - people buy without engaging their brain... Very 1984-ish...

'Sprot'? That some kind of niche market? :confused:

:whore:

This is an awful lot of work for a car that allegedly isn't a "race" car. Before you go tearing out the sunroof in the pursuit of better handling, have you upgraded the chassis as much as possible? Coilovers, sway bars, Spec B LCAs (ooh, you've got those!), and subframe braces? Hell, even strut tower bars will probably have more of an effect on handling than this. Then you've got weight savings - do you have a lightweight battery? Have you swapped out your heavy OEM front seats for some Brides like rurouni_X did?

Why do you assume I didn't do most of easy stuff before getting to getting rid of sunroof? That's really close to calling somebody stupid:spin:

I even posted this DIY about the battery:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120650

And swapping seats means throwing out airbags. I don't do things that reduce safety. Otherwise, sets would be out too of couse. They are weight hogs.

so have you swapped out your interior for manual cloth? (i'm sure you'll find someone w/ cloth to trade)

have you swapped out your stock (heavy) 18's for lighter 17's? (i'm sure you'll find someone w/ 17's to trade)

removed the a/c?

1) not sure what you mean.

2) I have OZ ultralegerra wheels and (in summer) performance summer tires. They are about 7lbs lighter each, I believe.

3) a/c is essential comfort. My goal is to get the least weight with car remaining a family sedan. You can't ask your family to ride in a car without an A/C, can you?

I don't quite get this... you went with a car that's leather and has 18's but want to take out a sunroof??????? :iam:

It's a nice looking car and interior. What's wrong with going with a nice looking family sedan? Sunroof doesn't add one bit to nice-lookiness.

The heavy wheels were gone the first week.

May be I forgot to mention that I'm planning on getting 09 Boxter for a summer car. I don't need second race-car. I need a family sedan that can perform as good as it can while remaning family sedan.

W00T !

But the changes are not drastic enough. Here are some suggestions.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/GT-Motoring-RSX-quick_380751.htm

O ryou could go on a diet yourself. But why do you think that achieving drastic weight reductions is better than moving the weight around or lowering the center of mass ? I agree with OP's assessment about the sunroof but it is far too exagerated. If the goal is to shave half a second from some numerical estimation of speed; it is easier to add horsepower than to "add lightness" - in the words of Colin Chapman. And more economical.

No, that's not the goal. The goal is to have nice looking family sedan that is reasonably fast and have a great handling. I'm planning on buying 09 Boxter for my summer car.

And good handling is way more important than fast 1/4 times. This is my daily driver, and you can go only so fast on public roads without getting in trouble. But nobody can ban me from having fun in corners! The stock spec B was nice looking, but handling like a Linkoln Towncar (coming from a 350z). But now I'm getting there.

^true and good point. usually though, the sport package comes with something thats 'cool'- even if it is just sportier looking seats or a spoiler. some ppl like that those add-ons. i think we can both agree that the majority of americans really arent that frugal and buy these packages 1. to show coolness or status off to others and 2. because the majority of us, despite the ease of attaining information these days remained uninformed buyers and rely on those trying to sell AMAP, to inform us about products we intend to purchase, when sales ppl rly just care about numbers, not whats in the buyers best interest. in the words of Pink Floyd, "Welcome to the Machine"

Originality and a sense of logic are two VERY different things mind you. :)

So where is logic in sunroof? It adds weight, it weakends structure of the car, it add hazard during collisions, it cost more... You seem to misunderstand logic for "public preference". If majority of people is sucked into some momentary fashion - it doesn't make it right or locigal:

http://gayestever.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/crimpleneformen1.jpg

:lol:

Did you know that windows on a plane is a sacrifice for public preference too? They are not necessary for plane to fly, they add weight, they ruin the structural integrity of the body, etc etc. But since public don't understand it and prefer to have them - engineers defy the logic and do them.

are you talking about changin whole roof sheet metal, or what do you mean by skin?

Are you talking about whole roof in CF, like in BMW picture I posted a few posts above?

So how whould you make a mold out of perfectly good roof? Even you can wax the hell out of it, it's going to ruin things where it touches windshield/rear glass, isn't it? and the sunroof hole needs to be filled and shaped somehow.

Roof skin as in the sheet metal, yes. Go order a new one from the dealership and make your mold off of it. If you do it well, you can probably make some side money if a few other legacy boys want them.

Removing the roof skin on a car is easy. Done it on numerous cars for cage installs.

I already shaved 100+ lbs off the car. Are you saying 100 pounds is minuscule? Yet every single thing I did is a minuscule for sure. Yet it all adds up. I now can have my wife in car and car is still lighter than stock. And it drives better.

Don't forget that some weight reduction is not linear function to handling. High weight, unsprung weight and rotational weight give you better improvements than simple linear percentage

Breath buddy and you are talking to a Mechanical Engineer/Motorsports engineer...trust me, I can work out all the gains from everything you just tossed out and I know their gains in performance. I was mearly giving you a heads up, in thinking that this was your soul reduction in the car and were expecting some noticeable gain in performance. 130 lbs is quite a chunk of weight to drop, assuming you haven't lost any creature comforts.

So carbon roof, carbon fenders, carbon hood and carbon trunk will be 4 'easy' mods that you can shave some significant weight with. All are DIY projects if you have the time, space and supplies :cool:

Let me know when you start shaving your glass for weight savings ;)

So where is logic in sunroof? It adds weight, it weakends structure of the car, it add hazard during collisions, it cost more... You seem to misunderstand logic for "public preference". If majority of people is sucked into some momentary fashion - it doesn't make it right or locigal:

Logical would have meant buying a car without a sunroof if you find it such a safety hazard for you and your family. Just saying. ;) And to me, this just seems like... well.... not really sure how to put it. :lol: Go trade it in or sell it and buy an LGT without one. 2010's comes without them. :p 2005 comes without them and WITHOUT leather and WITHOUT heavier wheels and WITHOUT navi... that's all I'm saying. Logic vs originality. :D
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I do have time and space. Lots of money is a problem.

Replacing fenders is a little more than I can afford. I can make a mold and produce a CF panel, but I doubt it'll be lighter than original part, as my CF technology will be most primitive. And together with painting it'll be cost-prohibitive.

Shaving the sunroof cost nothing. Replacing it will cost something, but I hope not that much if I do everything myself.

Roof skin as in the sheet metal, yes. Go order a new one from the dealership and make your mold off of it. If you do it well, you can probably make some side money if a few other legacy boys want them.

Removing the roof skin on a car is easy. Done it on numerous cars for cage installs.

Breath buddy and you are talking to a Mechanical Engineer/Motorsports engineer...trust me, I can work out all the gains from everything you just tossed out and I know their gains in performance. I was mearly giving you a heads up, in thinking that this was your soul reduction in the car and were expecting some noticeable gain in performance. 130 lbs is quite a chunk of weight to drop, assuming you haven't lost any creature comforts.

So carbon roof, carbon fenders, carbon hood and carbon trunk will be 4 'easy' mods that you can shave some significant weight with. All are DIY projects if you have the time, space and supplies :cool:

Let me know when you start shaving your glass for weight savings ;)

So carbon roof, carbon fenders, carbon hood and carbon trunk will be 4 'easy' mods that you can shave some significant weight with.

GT hoods are extremely light for a hood. Give this guy the wrong idea and he might just get the whole body molded in carbon fiber for his lightweight "family sedan" :lol::lol:

Why do you assume I didn't do most of easy stuff before getting to getting rid of sunroof?

Probably because you skipped the "easy" option of "not buying a car with a sunroof," but I'm sure I could come up with other reasons, too.

That's really close to calling somebody stupid:spin:.

This concept strikes me as really close to being stupid :spin:

And swapping seats means throwing out airbags. I don't do things that reduce safety. Otherwise, sets would be out too of couse. They are weight hogs.

Teh horrorz! Good harnesses will keep you in your seat just fine, thank you very much, and if you've got cabin intrusion to the point that stuff's hitting you while you're sitting in your harnesses...you've got bigger problems than the lack of airbags. How about just trading for non-electric seats? I'm sure some non-ltd owners would be happy to get an upgrade. Don't sweat the loss of the leather and alcantara, it's just a marketing gimmick :rolleyes:

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I do have time and space. Lots of money is a problem.

Replacing fenders is a little more than I can afford. I can make a mold and produce a CF panel, but I doubt it'll be lighter than original part, as my CF technology will be most primitive. And together with painting it'll be cost-prohibitive.

Shaving the sunroof cost nothing. Replacing it will cost something, but I hope not that much if I do everything myself.

Well then just do the roof and you can go ghetto and use a shop vac as your vacuum source when molding via vacuum bag. Done right (you can find lots of DIY online), you'd have a VERY light roof. You can then choose to paint it or have a shop (think boat hauls) put a 'gel' coat on it...OR a body shop clear it.

Oh and do an 5-spd trans swap. A lightweight trans with DCCD is calling you ;)

Well then just do the roof and you can go ghetto and use a shop vac as your vacuum source when molding via vacuum bag. Done right (you can find lots of DIY online), you'd have a VERY light roof. You can then choose to paint it or have a shop (think boat hauls) put a 'gel' coat on it...OR a body shop clear it.

Oh and do an 5-spd trans swap. A lightweight trans with DCCD is calling you ;)

Right now I'm driving a '10 Impreza with 5speed (as my car is in the shop with cracked oil line, second time!), and I think I like my 6 speed more. Much more.

I might come back to the idea of replacing whole roof, when I'll have the other car to drive. I plan on getting 09 Boxter S, but not sure when...

Right now I'm driving a '10 Impreza with 5speed (as my car is in the shop with cracked oil line, second time!), and I think I like my 6 speed more. Much more.

I might come back to the idea of replacing whole roof, when I'll have the other car to drive. I plan on getting 09 Boxter S, but not sure when...

You can't compare that stock POS with an STi RA box...kartboy bushings and an STi short shifter ;)

Archived