LegacyGT.com

07 Legacy without sunroof?

Does anybody knows if they make 07 models without sunroof? Anybody here have it? I'm looking for pictures of headliner...

I'm thinking about removing my sunroof for a weight savings. I really don't need it and never use it, so I'm researching possiblity of shaving those 30+pounds from up there. The new headliner will also give more headroom. And I hope it'd be easier to wrap in black alcantara. Only the guy at my Subaru had difficult time to find one, as in their system it's not clear which model has sunroof and which isn't...

So if somebody here have a 06-07 without sunroof can you take a picture of your headliner? Also, do you thing non-GT and GT headliners fasteners are the same?

Thanks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you are just kidding about this, right?

this has made it into my top 5 silliest things to do to a vehicle.

Really? Than I guess all race cars are silly to you... Non of them have sunroof ever. Because putting 30 to 40 pounds at the highest point of performance vehicle just so one can see the sun - that's really silly.

Unfortunately there were no spec.Bs available without sunroof so I had to compromise. Now I'm thinking about fixing it.

You should see the other things I took out :)

... What are you going to do about the hole in the roof?

The idea is to put carbon fiber plug there and than either a) leave it as it is or b) paint all roof black.

CF plugs are pretty standard thing done to performance cars, I found it done to M3s, and bunch of other cars. The problem is -I'll also have to make the plug. Which isn't easy without experience. :spin:

Right now it's just an idea I research. First I need to take out the sunroof and weight it to see if ti worth it. But the data about other brands sunroofs is promising - they are usually 30 to 40 pounds with all the accociated parts.

Only the fleet base BASE 2.5i had no sunroof if I'm not mistaken. I have never ever seen one.

I guess that's what Subaru technician found. It was BASE, but no clarification about sunroof and no pictures. The headliner was only $3xx. Not so bad

this is true. congrats on finding what you like. I know its not a traditional mod, but removing the sunroof and filling the gap with a CF insert would save some weight and because of its location definately help with body roll. My 05 has no sunroof and i dont mind at all. Id def love a spec....blistens, 6spd, nav...super sleek and more rare....but i doubt id be able to find one for what i got my GT for ($7400).

i was lucky enough to get that, as my only car allowance is what i sold my 97 tacoma SR5 for with 113K, earlier that summer. as it is now, im very happy with my switch. pls keep us updated with your sunroof project and GL

this is true. congrats on finding what you like. I know its not a traditional mod, but removing the sunroof and filling the gap with a CF insert would save some weight and because of its location definately help with body roll. My 05 has no sunroof and i dont mind at all. Id def love a spec....blistens, 6spd, nav...super sleek and more rare....but i doubt id be able to find one for what i got my GT for ($7400).

i was lucky enough to get that, as my only car allowance is what i sold my 97 tacoma SR5 for with 113K, earlier that summer. as it is now, im very happy with my switch. pls keep us updated with your sunroof project and GL

The Nav is total crap. Don't loose any sleep over it. I rarely use it because of how bad it is.

Can't you just expand your search to include any 05+ LGTs? They made plenty without the sunroof and it's not like that part of the car ever changed.

That said, I can think of dozens of mods that would improve my car's handling before I ever reached the point of wanting the sunroof gone. It's simply not a race car and it's only pretending to think that the car will handle any differently without one. If you did want a race car there are much better platforms to start with.

Can't you just expand your search to include any 05+ LGTs? They made plenty without the sunroof and it's not like that part of the car ever changed.

That said, I can think of dozens of mods that would improve my car's handling before I ever reached the point of wanting the sunroof gone. It's simply not a race car and it's only pretending to think that the car will handle any differently without one. If you did want a race car there are much better platforms to start with.

No, I did not want a race car. I wanted a family sedan with full size back seats and best 4WD available on the market. So I can drive confidently in winter in Michigan and carry more than 2 people whenever I need. And I don't want to modify the engine, as I drive this car A LOT, and I don't want increased gas milage.

But than I want it to handle the best it can, given those restrictions. What's wrong with that? If I got a family sedan - I should give up on having fun? That's not my philosophy. Taking what's available and making it better - that's more like it :lol:

Thanks a lot!!!

So it looks like the handles not set too deep in the headliner (will be easier to handle alcantara there), but then there is beam protruding acrooss the middle of the roof?

Can you take two more pictures of 1) the front part whith light and sunvisor, and 2) the side passenger side handle zoom

I wander if the ligths/sunroof control panel is the same size on both cars...

Thanks again!

Here you go:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4205/dsc00001fx.jpg

right now it's all in the research stage. I have a couple upgrades in line before i'll have money available for that one.

But the only two options evident is either permanently put a CF plug in there, or weld in a piece of metal, patch the whole, shape it... and probably put all the weight right back in... and than have to repaint the roof. So CF plug seems the best option.

It all can look very nice, if done properly here's picture and link to M3 thread on similar project:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8484/pict5690ey0.jpg

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=222481

As nobody makes cf plugs for Legacy I'll have to do it myself, and than as I'm not a cf pro, it'll probably have to be painted body color to hide imperfections.

The other idea is to make a cf strip for the whole roof, front to back, bimmer style

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/BMWBlog/BMW-M3-Atlantis/AT04.jpg

That would be actually easier to make from scratch, as it'll be just a flat piece of CF. But I'll need a totalled car to make the plug, and I don't have it.

The nav IS a piece of crap----not updateable-----plug the hole but do not install the headliner!!!! That would add back a lot of weight.....consider spray paint instead. Choose a "light" color.........(Tongue firmly in cheek)
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

The nav IS a piece of crap----not updateable-----plug the hole but do not install the headliner!!!! That would add back a lot of weight.....consider spray paint instead. Choose a "light" color.........(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Yes, that's an option! But it depends on how smooth or ugly things under headliner. And I think black paint will be better. Hiding things. Or better yet, put black alcantara right on the metal. But again it depends on how it all looks without headliner.

Archived