LegacyGT.com

Tire recommendations for snow

I'm not looking for snow tires per se. Something more seasonal I guess? I'm clueless when it comes to tires. right now the ones I have are horrible. I have a 1999 Legacy 30th Anniversary. tire size I have looked up should be 195/60R15/SL. I'm looking for recommendation on brand/model of tire. Stock wheels on the car. Its literally my bad weather car. I usually ride a bike to work.

this would probably get more responses in the tire forum, but there are plenty of people that will offer different suggestions.

i loved my goodyear eagle gt's. and your size is only $64 each...im jealous!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+GT&partnum=96VR5GT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Spr03_EarlyHistory.htm

subaru was founded in 1968 therefore a 99 "model" cannot be a 30th aniv....im not trying to give you a hard time, im just trying to let you know so you dont get bashed like i did with my whole situation with my car. turns out i was way wrong. found out from SOA that i have a diamond in the rough... too bad i cant get much for it. but i did pick it up for half the price i should have paid cause the guy didnt know what he had lol

I'm still confused, if u click the drop down for styles 30th anniversary is one of them. I'm not saying I'm right but this is the first I'm hearing of this. To be honest though I could care less, for all I know the previous owner glued the badge on. Unless there's something special about a 30th anniversary edition, like every 30k miles it spews out hundred dollar bills from the exhaust at 3000 rpm for 30 minutes at exactly 3:30.

I also included that tidbit of info because when I looked up tires at Big-O's website they asked if it was a 30th.

buying tires has nothing to do with the car...lol... all they need to know is what tire size you want. u need 195/60/15. it shouldnt matter if you have subaru or a boat trailer, a tire is a tire as long as if fits on the rims your putting them on. and as far as the 30th aniv goes, just look at your title. i have a 98 30th aniv....which means if yours is a 99, it cant be a 30th aniv, lol. whatever drop down you saw was probably a generic model class for subaru, not neccissarly specific to your vehicle

w/e, we're at war now :) Seriously, I think u got blasted wrong. I can't find anything online that states definitively there was no 1999 Subaru Legacy L 30th Anniversary Edition. Perhaps we are both right, there was a 98 and 99 model. I agree, its weird and crazy since 99 isn't Subaru's bday but hey, they decide when their bday is! Even with bald tires this car did awesome in the snow. Is it normal for the AWD to kick in past a certain RPM? I'm positive it was doing this becuase it gave a good knock when it happened and I could see the other tires start spinning ... maybe its broken or breaking.

http://autos.yahoo.com/1999_subaru_legacy_sedan_l_30th_anniversary_edition/

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive98_99.html

30th Anniversary Legacy L,new model for 1999. Upgrade over the standard L.

Includes very comfortable and practical height adjustable driver's seat, plus electric tilt up and slide back glass sunroof with cover, 15" alloy wheels, rear spoiler on sedans or roof rack on wagons, power antenna, color co-ordinated door handles and bodyside moldings, and the 30th Anniversary badge by the left front wheel.

All this for $2000. (-) $1000 factory discount for a net price increase of only $1000. over a 1999 L model. It's a bargain for what you get.

New Winestone color available on Legacy 30th Anniversay. This is a new very attractive color. Replaces Mica Ruby.

New Sandstone color available on L models

Sapphire blue now available on Brighton wagon, replacing Mica Ruby

ok...here we go.....subaru was founded in 1968...the first subaru ever produced was the 1968 subaru 360. so...1968 plus 30 = 1998... i have(had) the badge for the 30th aniv model, recently been remove but it also says on my title 30th aniv. so, having said that... look at your title, if it doesnt say 30th aniv, then you have a 99. if it says 30th aniv AND 99 then you need to check on your door to see what year your car is acually and get your title fixed. i think what you need to do is post a pic of the FULL side vie wof your car, then a closeup of the 30th aniv badge, and then your title(hazing out any info you dont want public to see of course). and then ill have to do some investigating, but as far as i know its impossible to have a 30th aniv edition when the car manufacturer is 31 yrs old

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded." The OP obviously isn't planning to stick the car in a barn for fifty years with hopes of making millions off of it, so there's really no point in arguing about it.

The specific make, model, etc of a car has nothing to do with buying tires. The stock tire size should be printed on the sticker on the driver's door jam, and that's all anyone really needs to know to buy new tires. The boat trailer example was a bad one though, because there is a difference between passenger car tires and trailer tires.

OP - go on tirerack.com and search for your tire size, then deselect all the summer tires and snow tires so you're only looking at all-seasons (assuming that's what you want). Then you can sort by price, rating or whatever else you want and even select a few to compare. They have ratings for each tire in different categories, including ice and snow, so you can pick one that has high ratings in the categories you're concerned with.

I'm curious to find out if it really is a 98, especially since I bought it from a dealer that advertised it as a 99 30th. But i bought it because it was the cheapest nicest AWD Sub I could find.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation on tirerack, that helps, Anyone have any experience with Michelin X-Ice Xi2? They seem to get good reviews there and they look neat.

Subaru tho founded in 68 afaik was not imported that year into the US.

We are always one model year behind. In addition, there are production dates that come into effect.

I had an 04, and it was definitely a 35th anniversary edition.

I have been using dedicated winter and summer tires, tho when my Blizzaks wear out, I'm planning to go with BFG Super Sport All Seasons,for my winter tire. I use a 16" rim for the winter.

O.

Tires really depend on what you're looking for. I'm a firm believer in dedicated snows and summers. But I do drive in NH and VT, so the need for a snow tire may vary for you. Be sure to use tirerack. It is a fantastic website.

I run Firestone Winterforces in 205/55/16 for the winter. They are by no means the best winter tire, but they do provide fantastic traction and grip during the winter months for the best price.

I run Dunlop SP Sportmaxx in 215/45/17 for the summer. They are also by no means the best tires, but for daily driving they are an excellent summer tire for the price.

And FTR, the OP does have a 30th anniversary edition. There are several people on the forum who have the ultra rare 99 Legacy GT Limiteds in 5speed. These also have a badge on them that say 30th anniversary edition. They don't have to be made during the 30th year to be in this trim.

Archived