LegacyGT.com

Ride Quality on 18" w/ 40 series

mpetty

For those of you who have +1 on the wheels to an 18" with 40 series tire, how has it affected the ride quality and noise level?

I like the look of 18's but I like the car for its refinement and comfort as well as performance, so I am not willing to give up too much in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

It all depends on the tires you use. I had two sets of 18's....one with Bridgestone S0-3s and one with Kumho ASX. Both were 225/40/18's. The Kumho's have stock ride quality, but better handling. The S0-3's were brutally stiff and ruined the ride quality.

Bottom line? I think if everything else is equal, 17's will have more ride comfort than 18's with the same tire. In my case, the Kumhos work as well as stock RE-92's even though they are 18's. Perhaps those same tires in 17's would be even more comfortable than stock.

Correct, some tires have softer sidewalls than others, so depending on the tire you choose and the tread pattern (for audiable reasons), it will determine your final ride quality.

I had a set of 255/35/18 Toyo T1-S and they rode softer and better comfort than my set of Advan A048 Racing Compound 225/40/18 tires. I also had a set of Kumho 712s in 225/40/18 which were a bit noisy over stock, but the ride quality is still there. My Falken Azenis RT-215s in 225/45/17 rode harder than my Toyo T1-S 255/35/18 by far. I have a set of Dunlop Super Sport Race R-compound Tires at 225/45/17 and they have a softer side wall than the Falkens and the tread pattern is not as loud so the comfort is better than the Falkens.

THe tire construction is really where it's at.. the tire aspect at +1 sizing can be compenstated with a larger tire diameter than stock (of which a 225/40/18 is already 1.98% larger than a 215/45/17 stock RE92). Remember, some 225/40/18 tires are built larger and wider than what the tire size really is (as my Advans 225/40/18 are really built like a 235/40/18).

Pick out a few tires you like, and most likely someone here on the boards (it could be me) that can tell you which of the 225/40/18 yields the closer ride quality of stock.

Keefe

Keefe

Along the same lines, I'm thinking of putting some 245/50-17s on my OBXT instead of the stock size 225/55-17s. They are the same height, I have ordered some 8" wide Rotas that can accomodate the 245s. My question is, will the extra width have a significant impact on the ride quality?

I doubt thw width would be an issue regarding impact harshness, but I notice considerable tramlining with 225's. I was driving in a bad section of NE Washington DC yesterday, along a major truck route (US-1), and I had to remind myself that I didn't have a flat tire. The wheel was pulling all over the place. Wide, low-profile tires combined with quick steering (relatively speaking) equals a work-out. This would obviously be an extreme case, but if the roads you normally drive on are asphalt and have trucks, one to think about.

Part of that's how your tire pressures are set too Patagonian GT. Keeping a higher front bias I've noticed helps keep the tramlining down. I'm looking into 225/40R-18 tires and 18x7.5 or 18x8 wheels (depends on the style of wheel I like.) I know that with the Bilstein/Pink combo would be somewhat harsh, but I can handle it, only question is if my passengers could. :p

I just checked mine on Sunday, since I got a TPS warning in the MINI (one of the RE-92's I moved onto that car had lost 1.5 lbs which was enough for the speed sensor to pick it up) Set the fronts at 34psi and the rear at 32.5psi. Anybody have other suggestions, or is that a good balance?

Well with my Toyos I run about 38-42F with a 3-4psi front bias. Pressure depends on the conditions I plan on running. Normal conditions I run the car about 40-42 though. Toyo's like more pressure though and I'm not wearing the centers. Turned 18k miles today. :)

I run 36 front and 34 rear (cold).. sometimes I run 40 front and 36 rear (hot).. if I know it's going to rain for the whole week and it's above 50F, I would run 35 front (hot) and 33 rear (hot).

Note: these numbers are for 225/45/17 on a GT sedan.

Keefe

Keefe

Guest turboman

Got (5) Azenis 615's in 215/40-17 out in the garage. Not mounted yet. Since they have exceptionally stiff sidewalls (I think the tread belts go all the way up to the rim protectors) I should be able to run these on the street around 32-34psi, I'm supposing.

Ran Azenis Sports 8 months of the year on a WRX in Solo2 and was quite happy with the wear (street/solo) and ride. Is anybody knowledgeable on comparing these two tires. It's likely nobody has much experience on the 615's, being so new. I was just wondering. Both have a 200 tread wear.

There have been some early AutoX events in the southern states and I'm hoping there are some drivers that ran on 615's.

By the way Wisconsin has not progressed to (...twenty-first century) the point of having open "track days" at any local tracks. So running with "hot" , greasy rubber is no consideration. The only clubs that have track days are the BMW and Porsche clubs.

Thanks Keefe- I am looking for a decent daily driving tire with some performance. ( I use the car for work).

Hopefully I can get them on the car this week if it finally quits snowing.

Anybody know what the Yokohama AVS ES100s are like? Just ordered them with a set of 18 in BBS REs.

Go to tirerack. Click on the tire you want, then click on TEST towards the top. They show it compared to similar tires in all categories. Daily duties,wet,dry, etc.... The Kumho 712 I believe did better in Noise and better by far in wet. I liked my old AVS Es100's though. Stiff sidewalls and tight steering response.

ES100s melt pretty quick. I took them onto summit point and when I got off the track it looked like i drove through a puddle of bubblegum. On that day it was 102 and I was on the track for 45 minutes. =).

I like the ES100s. I haven't had any real issues with them. On tirerack, sometimes they have a sale... but don't really advertise it (odd). At times I see them for 115$ but every so often I see them for 70$. Lately, they've gone up in price probably because of the popularity.

ES100s melt pretty quick. I took them onto summit point and when I got off the track it looked like i drove through a puddle of bubblegum. On that day it was 102 and I was on the track for 45 minutes. =).

Any street tire will do that, at least from My experience. Toyo Fz4,Falken Azenis, KUmho 712's, Nitto NT501, Kumho MX......

Ran Azenis Sports 8 months of the year on a WRX in Solo2 and was quite happy with the wear (street/solo) and ride. Is anybody knowledgeable on comparing these two tires. It's likely nobody has much experience on the 615's, being so new. I was just wondering. Both have a 200 tread wear.

New compound, new tread design, overall a slightly improved tire overall.

Keefe

Keefe

Any street tire will do that, at least from My experience. Toyo Fz4,Falken Azenis, KUmho 712's, Nitto NT501, Kumho MX......

That's what you call "overdriving" them.. My Azenis lasted over 6 track events and over 20 autox events with daily driving.. if you tone down the steering input and weight transfer, they dont get beat up as much.. same goes for toe alignment.

Keefe

Keefe

Noise level is deirectly related to the tire you choose. I have Kumho MX in 225/40/18 and they are a tad noisy at low speeds. Same noise at highway as stock though. Love the fimness. Not too much worse than stock for bumps.

Actually, it's tire compound and tread pattern that is the priority in sound, then construction of the tire.. go drive a set of Yokohama A032R vs. the A048.. same compound, same construction, just different tread pattern.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived