LegacyGT.com

Chip key-so how did they steal it?

Yeah. Powernet offers a lot of slick features. I think it's funny that we are going back to they way things used to be w/ the bcm being the central gateway. And all of the police cars are being recalled to turn passive entry off. (they dot like that much). And you are correct, it is 32 cars. I like the idea that I could have my key work my car and my wife's car. Supposedly though each time a vehicles pin is accessed, Chrysler makes a note it. so if a vehicle is stolen, It can be shown who looked up the pin.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
probably a hookup between the thiefs and the dealership, most likely a boxer-looking kid. And one day the old semi-retired car thief, thats too slow now so he just monitors the police frequencies, will leave the keys too close to a cheeseburger and his dog will eat them, and the rookie thiefs will have to feed the dog a laxative and wait to get the keys back.

gone in 60 seconds ?

Guys check this out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07aa5mYEZk&feature=plcp]How to make a cheap transponder key bypass - YouTube[/ame]

I tried it out with my key, just for interest. I only have one key which made it harder, but luckily, on my JDM key i can remove the immobiliser transponder unit from the key by undoing a screw, taking off the key cover and pulling out the transponder. I wrapped a long wire around it, made a coil in the same wire, and closed the loop (no power supply, no relay, just wire). I could start my car with the coil next to the key barrel and the transponder on my seat (and no it did not start with the coil & transponder far away, engine just cranked without starting).

Now if you just do what the guy did in the video, but attached the relay to an immobiliser output of an aftermarket alarm, you could effectively integrate the factory immobiliser to the aftermarket alarm (which would work with remote start!). And as long as you do a good job of making the relay very hard to get to, using the same colour wires everywhere, using wire looms and loads of tape, etc, along with adding any immobilisers that comes with the aftermarket alarm it should make the car pretty time-consuming to steal.

Yeah. Powernet offers a lot of slick features. I think it's funny that we are going back to they way things used to be w/ the bcm being the central gateway. And all of the police cars are being recalled to turn passive entry off. (they dot like that much). And you are correct, it is 32 cars. I like the idea that I could have my key work my car and my wife's car. Supposedly though each time a vehicles pin is accessed, Chrysler makes a note it. so if a vehicle is stolen, It can be shown who looked up the pin.

It only makes sense. Makes everything so much easier running through a single gateway with the star connectors. I also really like the idea of diagnosing the bus at the obd2 port instead of hunting for a ******* module. What region are you?

I thought the police recall kept passive entry on the drivers door and thats it? The couple cars weve courtesy delivered have had power locks on all four corners but only 2 low frequency antennas. I also think its funny they throw the bag of shit in the back of the car to change all the locks back etc.

Chrysler has done the pin recording for years, according to our DM. Its why they make you list a reason and only certain sids can access it.

Also, you can just tape the old key underneath the steering column and cut the same style key and your good. I've heard of people with remote starts doing this. I even considered it when I was looking at keyless entry and starting like the ikey and smartkey systems.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Tried this, unfortunately it does not work. Even when the two keys are grounded to each other.

I'm in sc. The southeast region. Most everything is based out of atl. Star connectors save a s-load of time. I've already used them to diag a bus problem on a journey. Only took about 30 mins. On an old one, probably a couple hours.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Tried this, unfortunately it does not work. Even when the two keys are grounded to each other.

Really? I thought there was a thread on here on Nos that was talking about how we could use the STI keys by digging out the chip in ours.

here is the thread.

Oh, and you can get keys on ebay fairly inexpensive, you just have to get them programmed at the dealer.

Thats because the antenna is wrapped around the ignition switch.

No. Car recognizes both keys. Its not a constant streaming signal, it gets it once at start up and thats all it needs.

To those with a worn out cylinder/key.. once the vehicle is running you can remove the key and the car stays running because of this.

Yes it does, because both immobilizers power up and transmit. If they are too close the two keys interfere with each other and the car doesn't make a good read.

I say this for the traditional keyless entry, not the new passive entry stuff.

What do you want to bet? When I developed the Chrysler system it didn't work and based on the use case of 1 key at one time I highly doubt it was changed after I left. Now, it may work now and again or if you place one of the immobilizers much farther away it may work. But its not designed to work that way and if you have both of them roughly equidistant to the reader it is highly probably that it won't work.

Remember that in automotive products are only acceptable when the work every time, not every now and then. So showing me once that two keys at the same time starting the car once doesn't really impress me.

It happens daily. People have two keys on a single key ring. Meaning that the second key cant be anymore than 2" from the antenna and yet the car still functions as intended.

How do you explain that?

Also... "when i designed"... youre claiming to single handedly have designed which chrysler immobilizer system? And then left the company? This sounds like its going to be a good story, please Do tell.

I apologize that I wrote 'when i designed' as I certainly was only a small part of a team, but quite frankly I don't have to prove anything to you. In fact, and you are welcome to take offense, your argument that the key being 2" from the antenna is extremely telling to your utter lack of knowledge on the intimate details about how the immobilizer system actually works. Because yes, 2" is too far away; and in that situation only 1 key receives power to transmit. You said to place both keys 'directly' next to the ignition cylinder and this is not 2" dangling off a keychain. The immobilizer was designed for extremely close proximity sensing, almost as if it was designed with the expectation that only one key could be in the cylinder at one time.

If you are looking for the 'story,' I worked for the supplier that developed the ECU that contains the immobilizer feature that sits on the ignition switch. I was on the development and validation team so I am pretty familiar with that particular implementation. No, I no longer work there and I left in good terms.

Then i thankyou for designing a shitty system that locks up scan tools, makes it almost impossible to program a new key and likes to wipe out other controllers on the network/bus. You really did a great job.

What you may have designed did not fully carry to the real world. Perfect example, just the other day i had a car in that would run with either key if they were together on a key ring or held close to the ignition switch. Move one of the keys away (3-4 feet) and it would only run off the one key with the functional chip. This blatantly disproves what you just said, yet again; in an elitist fashion.

Archived