LegacyGT.com

70mm intake - $12 - with pics

John M

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Bumpin. Just ordered a "full" DIY SRI from Amazon. I am sure the MAF scaling will be close, I will use your scaling as a starting point.

Hopefully the filter does not blow. Guess I will annoy the purists out there too :)

$61 shipped

I plan to wrap the pipe in insulated metal tape. The couplers I ordered are 3" and they give you a 2.5 inch "sleeve" which I plan to stretch over the stock 2.7" inlet tube. Not as ideal as a 2.75"->3" silicone coupler but it will work.

See order attached.

amazon_spectre_intake.jpg.34aa98dec0f6ccec09388f440e780384.jpg

FWIW, mine is still doing fine. The TurboTime guys are breaking in the new engine and had it driving pretty nicely on just the base tune.

Since my calibration was all in the closed loop area, I'll share the final wideband-tuned map *if* they agree (with all the usual "this is just a base, tune at your own risk, etc" disclaimers). I'm not one to give away the work of others without their consent but at the same time it'd be awesome to have a proven cheap intake available.

In my case there are no bends before the MAF and there's a big honkin air filter with pleats on the end as well, making a straight path for the air to flow.

My fuel trims were all less than 2% correction across the board.

Here is a picture. That is a 22 degree pipe from the same manufacturer.

I have heard the clamps can cause the plastic parts to flex after being heat cycled a number of times. Guess I will have to wait and see. They feel really rigid though. They are thick.

I need to make a heatshield that also supports it vertically, right now its just hanging there, but pretty well I must say.

Started with the scaling provided in the first post and did not have to change it too much in CL. Have not tuned for OL, but my WB AFR is reading ok so its not far off.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199/LGTSpecB/SNC12495.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Bumpin. Just ordered a "full" DIY SRI from Amazon. I am sure the MAF scaling will be close, I will use your scaling as a starting point.

Hopefully the filter does not blow. Guess I will annoy the purists out there too :)

$61 shipped

I plan to wrap the pipe in insulated metal tape. The couplers I ordered are 3" and they give you a 2.5 inch "sleeve" which I plan to stretch over the stock 2.7" inlet tube. Not as ideal as a 2.75"->3" silicone coupler but it will work.

See order attached.

Just updating everyone. Do not buy the couplers from Spectre / Amazon.

Get a 3" straight coupler, and a 2.75" to 3" reducing coupler. They cost a more money, but the way to go. I just bought the two from Siliconeintakes.com for $25 shipped.

• 1 month later...

It's got plenty of resolution for my HTA Green so far. I haven't topped 18 psi yet, though that will change soon.

It's still doing just fine -- no issues related to heat and we've had temps around 90 for the past two weeks straight.

OK so someone else saw the intake I did...

I'm really tempted at grabbing one of these, but if you ask anyone they will scream Hydro-lock... lol

I have a filter down in my fender well on my Beretta and I've never had a problem, then again I don't drive through 18" deep puddles.

That would be a bend after the maf sensor btw... the long part is headed down into the bumper area if I'm looking at it correct. I don't think they would expect you to have enough wire to place the maf that far down. Also have you seen how short the straight section is on a stock intake right before the maf. People need to relax about these bends. Yes the SPT is not idea, but this isn't even close.

Pretty sure this is an AEM knock off. Looks exactly like the AEM pipe and mounting. I did see some water ingestion issues with the AEM intake, mostly when washing the car. I didn't leave it on very long at all.

Here is a picture. That is a 22 degree pipe from the same manufacturer.

I have heard the clamps can cause the plastic parts to flex after being heat cycled a number of times. Guess I will have to wait and see. They feel really rigid though. They are thick.

I need to make a heatshield that also supports it vertically, right now its just hanging there, but pretty well I must say.

Started with the scaling provided in the first post and did not have to change it too much in CL. Have not tuned for OL, but my WB AFR is reading ok so its not far off.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz199/LGTSpecB/SNC12495.jpg

So the above image is your current setup? The post right after the above says you went a different direction or I'm just misreading. Which one did you go with?

AEM replica. Gotta love China.

"The cold air intake can help your engine to suck in more cooler air resulting in better throttle response and higher explosive horsepower output"

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

So the above image is your current setup? The post right after the above says you went a different direction or I'm just misreading. Which one did you go with?

I just changed the couplers, but kept the pipes the same. So my parts list is accurate, but I recommend better couplers than what are on my parts list. Plus I was able to get blue to match my FMIC piping.

FYI here is my MAF scaling thus far. It tunes well, my AFR learned are all within 1 percent. Ignore the random negative corrections highlighted. I am not sure what is causing that.

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/7268/corrvsmafv.jpg

Archived