LegacyGT.com

Which to buy? 5MT wagon or 5EAT?

5mt. i know a few people with stage 2 and 3 cars that have a slipping 5eat

i know a few people with stage 2 and 3 cars that have stripped the teeth right off a 5mt gear.

slipping or broken trans... pick one

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

+1

Never understood people driving slushboxes and never will. I find it easier to drive manual car in traffic, more engine braking action means less going back and forth between gas and brake pedals.

Slushboxes FTMFL.

+2

If your screen name means your older the 30yrs old like me I don't think you will like the way it shifts. It feels like the tranny is slipping. It feels like the tranny really saps power. You have to drive both and see what you like better.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I drive an auto but all the time I wish I had a manual tranny but most of the time I think it was the best decision to go auto for every day driving. I think the wagons are really sick in a 5mt so I think you should just get it in a 5mt and enjoy the hell out of it as long as you can.

My first car was a 4eat WRX. It was a nice, decently quick car for what it was I spose. Then after a year and a half I just got bored of having a "sports car" (in quotes, since someone will say it's an econobox with a turbo, whatever you want to call it.) that was an automatic. Picked up my 5mt LGT a couple of weeks ago and haven't looked back, even on my 45 minute commute to school in stop and go traffic. Having driven both, I'd vote 5mt forsure.

6MT swap can be done for less than $3k and then you can throw almost any power on it....

Link or any more info on this? I thought it was a lot more $$ to do a 6MT swap. For under $3K I would consider this in the future.

Link or any more info on this? I thought it was a lot more $$ to do a 6MT swap. For under $3K I would consider this in the future.

All this depends on the acquisition price. I lucked out. Actually twice (I am going to do 2nd 6MT swap on my other LGT soon).

I bought 08 SpecB tranny (w/1k miles), rear diff, drive shaft, STI fly/clutch, all four axle shafts for ~$3200 shipped

Then I bought 08 STI tranny (w/4k miles), w/rear diff, fly, pressure plate for ~$2750 shipped

Both deals were off e-bay. 08+ trannies are good deal, because they don't have speedo sensor which we don't need, but pre-08 Impreza folks do :)

Then of course you have to add other expenses like clutch (bought ACT HDSS one), SpecB shifter and some auxiliary shit. But you recoup money from the sale of 5MT. I sold 5MT+diff for $1500 cash.

I spent extra $900 to get front LSD installed in the SpecB tranny, and another ~$900 to get tall 5/6th gears installed in the STI one. Effectively, both have SpecB ratios, but the STI one has DCCD. STI is a better tranny, as it has newer type shafts/keyways (gears are not compatible between STI and SpecB trannies, the tall gears for STI tranny come from JDM Forester STI).

True, both 5mt and 5eat suck compared to the 6mt.

do you do a little of city driving with bad traffic? I know me personally if I had MT I would hate driving everytime I got stuck in traffic

I drive my MT in city grid-lock all the time, and I still enjoy it. I can coast up to lights, and going up to a light on a hill I barely have to use my brakes.

I agree driving in the city is not as fun as on the highway, but overall I prefer the control a MT gives you.

Unclemat, you are making us 5mt peeps feel inferior,

Truth is , you will not regret getting an LGT with the 5mt. With the 5mt wagon being as rare as it is, it would be an investment.

All this depends on the acquisition price. I lucked out. Actually twice (I am going to do 2nd 6MT swap on my other LGT soon).

I bought 08 SpecB tranny (w/1k miles), rear diff, drive shaft, STI fly/clutch, all four axle shafts for ~$3200 shipped

Then I bought 08 STI tranny (w/4k miles), w/rear diff, fly, pressure plate for ~$2750 shipped

Both deals were off e-bay. 08+ trannies are good deal, because they don't have speedo sensor which we don't need, but pre-08 Impreza folks do :)

Then of course you have to add other expenses like clutch (bought ACT HDSS one), SpecB shifter and some auxiliary shit. But you recoup money from the sale of 5MT. I sold 5MT+diff for $1500 cash.

I spent extra $900 to get front LSD installed in the SpecB tranny, and another ~$900 to get tall 5/6th gears installed in the STI one. Effectively, both have SpecB ratios, but the STI one has DCCD. STI is a better tranny, as it has newer type shafts/keyways (gears are not compatible between STI and SpecB trannies, the tall gears for STI tranny come from JDM Forester STI).

True, both 5mt and 5eat suck compared to the 6mt.

Archived