LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Installation Issues

LegacyDriver

I replaced my passenger side cam seal. I used the same timing belt during reinstall, and followed service manual instructions. I made sure all marks lined up.

After completing the reassembly of my engine, I proceed to my driver seat to start it up. As I heard the starter turning the engine over, I heard a strange sound, and I stopped. Did I just **** my car up? I don't know what to do right now. It's dark right now so I can't check the belt. Would it have snapped? What could have happened?

I agree, kind of tough to diagnose/help a sound over the internet. Take it to a reputable repair shop or have a technician buddy look at it.

Why would you re-use the old belt if you already have a new one?

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

It is kind of hard to figure this one out online. The belt might have snapped, but it's probably still on there. If everything was installed right it shouldn't have snapped, then again used timing belts don't like to be taken off then put back on again. If all the timing markes lined up correctly the engine should be fine.

We are talking about strange noises here. Who knows, maybe you left a tool under the cover, or a bolt or something (Even though this is kinda hard on these cars). Maybe something's rubbing the timing cover, hell, maybe you didn't remove the pin in the auto tensioner when you put it back together and the belt fell off, even though something so obvious as slack in the timing belt is obvious, who knows. There's only one way to find out. :)

I still have yet to get back under the hood. I have though talked to a mechanic friend of mine who said I may have rotated one of the cam's "180 out". I do recall messing with the cam pulley for a while trying to get it off without a pulley wrench. I have no idea if I rotated it or not. I just thought i needed the lines to line up. I knew it sounded too easy. 01rs25> I used the mark that was sort of an arrow on the crankshaft. Was not aware of the second mark. I heard my engine was non interference. Is this not the case?

01rs25 is right. My brother and I caught the mark...but I dont think you could screw up the values if the timing belt is messed up with my subie. Bdubs I think is right on this. My 98 is a free spinner...and you would have heard a horrific noise if the timing belt caused damage. Double check is probably your best bet...

Get under the hood and turn the crankshaft manually with a ratchet/socket, breaker bar/socket. You should also be able to take a side timing belt cover off as well depending on what engine you have without taking the crank pulley and belts back off. By taking the timing cover you can at least see if the timing belt has tension on it.

I still have yet to get back under the hood. I have though talked to a mechanic friend of mine who said I may have rotated one of the cam's "180 out". I do recall messing with the cam pulley for a while trying to get it off without a pulley wrench. I have no idea if I rotated it or not. I just thought i needed the lines to line up. I knew it sounded too easy. 01rs25> I used the mark that was sort of an arrow on the crankshaft. Was not aware of the second mark. I heard my engine was non interference. Is this not the case?

Here is your problem. I missed it the first time I read it. I believe the arrow is to signify TDC(top dead center) on cylinder one. It's just a reference mark when diagnosing engine issues. The timing mark is going to be a thin line just like the cam sprockets. That line needs to match the marking on the block.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t28762-diy-timing-belt.html

If you look at the 4th picture in the 1st post, you will see the marking differences. It's about a 1/4 turn off between the two.

Archived