LegacyGT.com

5EAT Torque Converter Hiccup

issai

This may well be much ado about nothing, since it's only occurred once. But, a few days ago, I was fully stopped at a signal with my foot on the brake pedal the whole time and in sport mode. Once the light turned green, as I was switching my foot from brake to gas pedal, something odd *wasn't* happening. The car wasn't doing it's usual torque-converter idle crawl, even though the engine was idling normally. Once I noticed this, I kept my foot in the air for a few seconds just to confirm my initial impressions. Yup, sure enough, idle engine, no foot on any pedals, and yet the car wasn't inching along like it usually would.

Once I hit the accelerator, the car operated and moved along as usual. This hasn't happened again (yet).

Does anyone think this is symptomatic of any issues with the TC?

Were you on a slight incline, or was the road perfectly flat? It has happened to me a couple times I think on a perfectly flat road. There is a spot on my way to work at a light where the road is JUST at the right angle where I can take my foot off the brake and the car will sit perfectly still. I can only imagine what the people behind me must think when my brake lights go off and the light is still red :D

haha now if you torq break that bitch till like 4500 rpm like i did .. boom !

if you do the torq break test put in 2nd gear manualy.

aslo if your car is not moving when you let go of the breaks intermittently it could jsut be the awd of the car .. like if you have the steering turned all the way 1 way .. the center diff is like licked .. if your turning on gravel you can feel the inside back tires scuffing a bit

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

frank_ster, what crapped out on your 5EAT, I forget. Was it the center diff, rear diff or was it the actual converter?

I think upshifting it in 2nd gear actually puts way more load on the tranny.

snow, by stalling it means that the rpms should no longer climb. Unless, of course, you keep it floored. Eventually they will continue to climb and possibly grenade the transmission.

I'm starting to wonder how safe it is to launch at 3K. I ask because I've done it a couple of times and starting to like it :D

3k launches are fine .. but keep it at that! .. was my centerdiff that blewup .. when you put it into second gear your loading everything less actually. its why they say to do it in the manual.

if you guys get on a realy steep hill .. you will find that the car will roll back in first gear. but if you put it in manual second it wont :D good for pulling a boat out of water ( i don't know if you guys remember the comercial when the chevy pick up pulling a boat of the water stalled and the guy let it roll completely in to the water.. then a guy with a ford truck pulled him out .. and the chevy owners' wife said wow that sank realy fast! the ford truck owner replyed yea like a rock! )

frank_ster, what crapped out on your 5EAT, I forget. Was it the center diff, rear diff or was it the actual converter?

I think upshifting it in 2nd gear actually puts way more load on the tranny.

snow, by stalling it means that the rpms should no longer climb. Unless, of course, you keep it floored. Eventually they will continue to climb and possibly grenade the transmission.

I'm starting to wonder how safe it is to launch at 3K. I ask because I've done it a couple of times and starting to like it :D

i love doing those launches .. i'm smoking all for tires at street lights! guys in mustangs and vetts have no idea what to think!

The "not inching forward while at a stop" incident occurred at a signal that I stop at, at least 1x per work-day. Perfectly flat surface-- in fact, it slopes *downwards* a bit, since the spot of the incident was right before a crosswalk, which is right before your typical concrete rain runoff thingie on the road.

Now that I recall, I do notice that when I start my commute to work, and I back out, sometimes when I go from "R" to "D", the car doesn't move on the perfectly flat surface of my parking lot.

And yeah, I've noticed the car rolling back on slight positive-grade inclines.

Hopefully this is much ado about nothing. :p

I'm a bit reluctant testing out the TC's stall speed myself. I'll ask my local favorite Subie shop to do it for me when I visit him in the next couple of weeks.

Here's something else. 99% of the time, I drive in sport manual mode. Now, I don't know if it's my H1N1 fever that's making me hallucinate about all this or if it actually happened today, but today, there's one incident where the car acted as if it was in manual sport mode, when in fact I put it into D mode. I believe I moved the stick from sport mode to normal "D" mode. When I realized the car wasn't upshifting normally and holding gear as the RPM's climbed above 3000 RPM's (I'm rather light-footed in everyday driving), I was caught by surprise, pushed the stick back into "Sport manual" mode, then pushed it back to "normal Drive" mode again.

Being enthusiasts, sometimes we tend to get paranoid about every little thing, like I'm doing now (or ignore all symptoms until the car blows up on us). I'm just hoping these incidents are all ado about a confused chip somewhere, and aren't signs of significant issues developing.

was the car still cold when you saw the RPM's climb high in D? it'll do that when cold for sure.

I take that back-- I'm getting mixed up due to my fever. It was shortly after noon, hot day, after a 1-hour drive, when this happened.

did you accidently hit one of the shift buttons on the steering wheel? I did that once and it scared me until I realized that's what had happened.

I could've. I'm beginning to think the shift buttons aren't placed well. I'd prefer paddles over buttons.

Archived