LegacyGT.com

Motor Trend SUOTY 2010 Subaru Outback

Re-reading the article, they do mention that the OB has comparable interior space and ground clearance to a Cherokee, so it suddenly becomes normal for them to look at it as an SUV/cross-over/whatever. There's lots of comments to that article complaining that the car is not an SUV, nor is it marketed as one. I'm sure all of them only glanced over the article just as I did at first and missed the parts I mentioned :D

GG Subaru.

It is probably most offroad capable of any SUV they could test.

You're joking, right? It's probably the most offroad capable of any CUV tested, but certainly it cannot compete with any truck-based SUV w/ low-range 4WD such as the new 4-Runner or Nissan X-terra.

Also, keep in mind that the MT car, truck, and SUV of the year contests stipulate that the vehicles selected be either new or substantially revised in that model year. That narrows the field substantially and keeps MT from having to test all CUVs and SUVs each year.

I'm trying to get my grandfather to consider the new Outback. It's hard for him to get up into his Tundra now and his Lexus is so low it's got the same issue in reverse. The Outback should be the perfect marriage of both vehicles.

This Outback is looking like a nicely sized family long hauling rig for our summer & winter trips. My daughters complain about how cramped our 05 Legacy Wagon is on long trips. I think our current wagon works great but does get a little snug for +300-500 mile hauls.

Looks like Subaru is keeping with tradition on the new Outback with the fact there will be different AWD combination for different models. I think the differences make sense but should also help in the decision making of what model to get.

Found Here:

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum09/Sum09_10Outback.htm

Quote:

"Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive A Key to Brand Identity Subaru offers three different Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive systems in the 2010 Outback line, each one tailored to the engine and type of transmission. In Outback 2.5i models equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission, the system uses a viscous-coupling locking center differential to distribute power 50/50 front to rear. Slippage at either set of wheels will send more power to the opposite set.

Outback 2.5i models equipped with the Lineartronic™ CVT use an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch to actively control power distribution in response to driving conditions.

Outback 3.6R models use advanced Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) All-Wheel Drive with a 5-speed electronic automatic transmission. A planetary center differential works with an electronically controlled continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch to manage power distribution. The VTD system normally sends more power to the rear wheels to enhance handling agility, and it continuously adjusts power distribution in response to driving and road conditions."

I'm sure a more Subaru Differential expect can chime and correct me, but I believe the AWD differential setup for the 6 Speed manual is most similar to my 05 Wagon manual drive, right?

Either way this does look like a likely replacement for our 1998 4Runner.

Cheers,

Mike

I should have looked at cars101.com first...Here is a better breakdown for the different AWD systems. Looks like the 3.6R is the only one with a rear LSD. My main reason for differential research is for snow performance. I completely understand that snow tires make a huge improvement and would be running this Outback with snow tires.

Found here:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2010.html

Quote:

"2.5i, Premium, with Manual 6 speed transmission

Continuous All Wheel Drive system with VDC and Hill Holder symmetrical viscous coupling 50/50 front/back power split. 2.5i, Premium, Limited with Automatic CVT transmission

Active All Wheel Drive system with VDC and Hill Holder. Electronically controlled, constantly varying front/back power split 90/10 front/back power split.

3.6R, automatic 5 speed transmission

VTD (Variable Torque Distribution) All Wheel Drive system with VDC and Hill Holder VTD traction control system has 45/55 performance oriented, front/rear power split with Limited Slip rear axle.

VDC is standard on all models

VDC vehicle dynamics control, is an electronic stability control system that measures and monitors steering wheel input, braking, vehicle angle etc and then applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to counteract skids or slides to help keep maintain driver control.

TCS Traction Control System is part of VDC. TCS senses spinning wheels and applies the brakes to maintain traction."

Cheers,

Mike

We like our 4Runner and am planning on keeping it in the family. We are just about to 200,000 miles and still running strong. The interior dimensions between the new Outback and our 4runner are very similar except for the rear cargo space. The Outback rear cargo space is smaller.

Cheers

Mike

Just purchased a new 2.5i CVT. My first Subaru after being a used car stalwart and Honda fan (am still both). Simply wonderful is my best description. May this hold true for the next 10 years that I own this car.

welcome to the forum.

which model Base, Premium or Limited? thoughts on the CVT.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

welcome to the forum.

which model Base, Premium or Limited? thoughts on the CVT.

Hi bosco,

It's a base model with no extra options (except dealer tint).

I really like the CVT. It's definitely different. When you accellerate at a more leasurely rate it'll rev up to about 3k rpm and just sit there until you reach the speed you want. When you punch it, it'll rev all the way up past 5k rpm, but won't complain one bit. What's great is that it doesn't have to rev through gears, thus always sitting at the optimal torque/hp curve.

The 6 speed paddle shifting mode is definitely fun and I can see how it could be helpful in more off-road or maybe icy conditions. But for normal driving, the CVT mode is more efficient and a smoother experience.

We test drove a '10 Forester, which drove well, but I was really nonplused by the 4 speed auto. If I hadn't driven and fallen in love with the OB I probably would have tried the manual Forester. But the OB just drives so much like a car, it was all over at that point.

Archived