LegacyGT.com

Endless SS-M Brake Pad review!

Xenonk

How would you rate Axxis Ultimate Pads? I had some on my Integra and I thought they were a real improvement over stock. Light dusting and not expensive.

Subydude has them for the '05 GT. $45 for the rear...fronts aren't listed and they are out of stock...but anyway...

http://subydude.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=220_86_100&products_id=314&osCsid=179523d348a4aa0e23dfde069f4f6b86

Given the price difference I'd expect Endless to be just amazing. Keefe if you'd rate the SS-M at say a 10...what would you rate the Axxis pads?

Axxis is now like a 6.5 to me since I had them on my WRX before. SS-M is far superior over the Axxis (hence the Bobcats are already better than the Axxis Ultimates). If you drive the Axxis hard enough, they dust just as bad as stock. So whatever you were driving on the integra wasn't hard driving ;)

Keefe

Axxis is now like a 6.5 to me since I had them on my WRX before. SS-M is far superior over the Axxis (hence the Bobcats are already better than the Axxis Ultimates). If you drive the Axxis hard enough, they dust just as bad as stock. So whatever you were driving on the integra wasn't hard driving ;)

Yeah, now I remember that I bought the Axxis after the AEM pads. The AEM's were better.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up the thread, but here are some pics of my abuse on the pads... note that I have driven about ~30,000 miles on them along with a comparison in thickness of a new brake pad vs. the Endless SS-Ms..

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8230/img00483oo.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1006/img00494so.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/516/img00501nx.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/6348/img00513ok.jpg

Keefe

• 4 months later...
^ yes, I still have another set of the SS-Ms to use.. I just like them too much for just the normal everyday street use and some autox.. however, I am looking into new track pads.. not sure if I want to run on Carbotech XP10s.. I might want to try something different.. not saying that they are bad, but I am looking for something better.
Keefe

Keefe, what do you think about putting SS-M in the front and SS-S in the rear (slightly higher coef.)? Do you think this would improve brake bias and reduces stopping distance in the LGT? I already have springs and sways, so I presume it's slightly better than stock now (not so much dive).

From the Endless FAQ:

Q: Is it okay to use Endless brake pads ONLY in the front?

Yes. Of course, we recommend using both front and rear, but many drivers use only front Endless brake pads since the braking ratio is greater and the fronts do wear out more frequently (in most cases). Using only front Endless brake pads is perfectly fine.

Q: Is it OK to mix and match different compounds for the front and rear?

Yes, if done correctly for the right purposes, this is not a problem at all.

After reading this thread I contacted Endless and was told that they have the SS-M brake pads for both front and rear on the 2005 Outback XT. If so, this is the first pad I have heard of for the rear on the new Outback. The bad news is that the quote is for $220 for front or rear or $400 for the set. That's a lot more than the Carbotech Bobcats or Hawk front pads!

Two questions:

#1 - Has anyone actually installed these on a 2005 Outback?

#2 - Are these worth more than twice the price of other brands for daily use? I'm an aggressive driver but will never be on a track.

#3 - Are pads like these safe for winter driving? In my neck of the woods -30 centigrade isn't unusual.

#4 - Assuming the fit is available is there another Endless pad that would be more suitable for a daily driver?

Thanks guys.

After reading this thread I contacted Endless and was told that they have the SS-M brake pads for both front and rear on the 2005 Outback XT. If so, this is the first pad I have heard of for the rear on the new Outback. The bad news is that the quote is for $220 for front or rear or $400 for the set. That's a lot more than the Carbotech Bobcats or Hawk front pads!

Two questions:

#1 - Has anyone actually installed these on a 2005 Outback?

#2 - Are these worth more than twice the price of other brands for daily use? I'm an aggressive driver but will never be on a track.

#3 - Are pads like these safe for winter driving? In my neck of the woods -30 centigrade isn't unusual.

#4 - Assuming the fit is available is there another Endless pad that would be more suitable for a daily driver?

Thanks guys.

Did you read the post from Xenonk? The SS-M's will last you 30K even with autocrossing. Vertually no dusting, low noise, and great performance. The price is hard to swallow, but you get what you pay for. I may actually have to go the SS-Y route to save some cash and deal with more dusting. ( i think the SS-Y were around 300 for the set on the GT sedan).

I don't think Keefe (xenonk) had any issues in cold weather. Keefe?

Did you check out the Endless site? They have a pretty clear breakdown of the pad options and their characteristics.

Do a search for Endless in the "Suspension/Brakes" Forum...there are other posts on these.

^ there's no dusting basically. I haven driven them on the track at 7/10ths to 9/10ths worth of braking and at the end of the day, the wheels look very clean. Noise is very low, almost next to nothing, you might get the occasional reverse pull squeal in the cold morning, but that's it.

As for the temperatures, these pads were designed to run from 32F to 900F, as long as you warm them up a little bit before pulling out your neighborhood by dragging or pumping your brakes just a tad during the winter to get the feel of the brakes, they are fine. I drove mine through 2 winters, they bite just fine.

As for the wear itself, that's definitely based on your driving skills and habits.. I have no doubt that anyone can really wear down a set of SS-Ms in under 10,000 miles, but I managed to get 30,000 miles based on my kind of driving.. now if I factored out the spirited driving, track events, and the autocrosses I am sure that I can get 60,000 miles out of them. If you know the difference between g-force transitions, then you can make your brakes last a little bit longer. I averaged out to get about 30,000 miles on them.. I am on my second front set.. i am still on my 1 set of the SS-Ms in the rear (so we know the fronts work pretty hard up front vs. the rear.. almost 1.5:1 ratio.. and this is with a suspension mod with the front springs being stiffer in the front to prevent head dive).

Keefe

Per the Endless website here are the operating temps: (chart)

Vita Nuova: 32-570 F

SS-Y: 32-716 F

SS-S: 32-932 F

SS-M: 32-986 F

Seems you need to warm them all up a little bit in the winter. Might be true for most pads?

warming something up just past freezing can't be that hard..

probably just a few quick touchs of the brake at the start.

how about once your on the open road during a 10 degree day...your driving for an hour at highway speed with little braking...if you have to stop quickly will the brakes be warm considering the outside temp and the windchill? Perhaps heat from the tires pass along to wheel and brakes is enough?

• 7 years later...

Archived