LegacyGT.com

New SVX Rumor

The B4

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/243295/luxury_subaru_breaks_out.html#ixzz0TqdMY1rQ

Fans of fast Subarus rejoice – a new luxury performance sports car is ‘winging’ in.

Auto Express has learned the Japanese firm has plans for a new coupé, based on the gullwing-doored Hybrid Tourer concept (left) which debuts at the Tokyo Motor Show next week.

Sitting at the top of the company’s range, it’s a spiritual successor to the much-loved SVX (right) which arrived 1991 and rivalled cars such as the BMW M3.

Likely to use the same platform as the Hybrid Tourer, power will come from a 2.5-litre turbocharged boxer engine although an electric hybrid drivetrain, like the concept’s, is possible. A Subaru insider said the car would target brawny performance motors such as the Vauxhall VXR8, which hints at a price tag approaching £40,000.

The SVX replacement is in addition to the upcoming £20,000 coupé, a sister car to the FT-86 which Subaru has jointly developed with Toyota. Set o be revealed at the Geneva Motor Show in 2010, it will use the same body as the FT-86 – not a new design, as has been speculated – with some Subaru styling cues to differentiate it.

It will also feature the same Legacy-derived rear-wheel-drive chassis with power from a 200bhp 2.0-litre boxer engine, hooked up to a new six-speed manual gearbox.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A Subaru insider said the car would target brawny performance motors such as the Vauxhall VXR8, which hints at a price tag approaching £40,000.

the VXR8 has over 400bhp....that's biting off quite a bit...eh Subaru?

I guess turbo boxer 4 at 300bhp + plus electric motor at 100bhp = 400bhp total

I wonder how the electric motor will interact with the AWD.

This is what I have been waiting for, and have repeatedly theory-built in my head.

Going after a hot Vauxhall VX8R with a turbo 4 is a bit ambitious. And please no additional weight and complexity of hybrid drive... such a needlessly complex fad.

A healthy H6 with a manual gearbox, something Subaru has not offered in the US before, would be a start, in a good Grand Touring Coupe.

I think Subaru's dual parallel hybrid drive makes sense for a turbo (laggy) car. It allows more HP and torque with smaller dispalcement and at lower RPM. .

The SVX I had was heavy and slow compared to my LGT. Hope this one is different.

I own both currently.

SVX is not as quick as a turbo legacy. Just isn't. But it is a hell of a lot smoother, and has a higher, easier top speed, and cruises effortlessly, compared to a Legacy GT spinning 3000RPM on the highway.

It weighed ~3600lbs. roughly 250lbs heavier, or less, than a comparably equipped BL Legacy. and it is 13 years older, longer, and wider.

It was automatic only, because they didn't have a manual gearbox in inventory to handle EG33's torque at that time. Even the 4EAT at the time had heat-issues with the EG's torque... and the heat-soaking of a very tightly packed, un-vented engine bay.

Hybrid drive brings some benefits of electric motors, but it adds MUCH more weight, more cost, more complexity, and takes up space.

A properly tuned engine, especially a healthy H6, is fine, without the cost, weight or complexity.

that's why i had both a 4eat and a 6mt svx in the end, at the same time

you really get more out of the engine engine with the 5mt swap..but the 6mt is better

i'd still rather sell my b spec and buy another svx. i just prefer the svx that much more

as for the heat issue. a lot of guys installed an aftermarket tranny cooler..in 94, subaru had addressed the issue from that year until 97

...this is starting to turn into svx network thread. and i'm not there anymore. so we'll leave it at that

I owned a 1992 AWD SVX, which I drove for almost 100,000 miles. That car is my favorite car of the 20 or so vehicles that I've had. Even with Koni shocks and sticky tires, the SVX was no competitor for the BMW M3, because the SVX was a superb grand tourer, not a sports car. I wish that I hadn't sold it, but I do like my 2007 spec.B. If Subaru were to offer an AWD GT with an automatic transmission, I'd buy it without hesitation.

The GT cars of the 90s were indeed great cruisers. They were often criticized for being too heavy but they sure know how to make quick work of a long drive.

I happened to pick one (Stealth TT) that was easy to add power to while retaining all the comfort and convenience not found in other "true sports cars", and that's just the way I liked it.

The GT cars of the 90s were indeed great cruisers. They were often criticized for being too heavy but they sure know how to make quick work of a long drive.

I happened to pick one (Stealth TT) that was easy to add power to while retaining all the comfort and convenience not found in other "true sports cars", and that's just the way I liked it.

Acura Legend Coupe with the Type II motor comes to mind.

the VXR8 has over 400bhp....that's biting off quite a bit...eh Subaru?

I guess turbo boxer 4 at 300bhp + plus electric motor at 100bhp = 400bhp total

I wonder how the electric motor will interact with the AWD.

I'm fairly confused about how the electric hybrid drive train would fit into this concept... I'm probably incredibly ignorant in this area, but my understanding has always been that cars that use electric motors (prius) turn the gas motor off while the electric motor is giving power. (An either or idea)

Would it be possible to have both of the motors giving usable power that can be deliverd to the wheels at the same time? I would think whatever setup the concoted for this would vary significantly from the setup they had for the hybrid.

It is possible, but it depends how it is set up.

An electric motor between the engine and transaxle would need to operate on a clutch or a planetary differential, or something to allow both sources to apply different amounts of power, or to switch the electric motor over to generator duty.

If the gas drivetrain is different than the electric drivetrain, theoretically each could drive one of the axles, and the internal combustion source would have a generator to charge the electrical system.

Neither option is particularly graceful, or less than complex.

I'm fairly confused about how the electric hybrid drive train would fit into this concept... I'm probably incredibly ignorant in this area, but my understanding has always been that cars that use electric motors (prius) turn the gas motor off while the electric motor is giving power. (An either or idea)

Would it be possible to have both of the motors giving usable power that can be deliverd to the wheels at the same time? I would think whatever setup the concoted for this would vary significantly from the setup they had for the hybrid.

most hybrids are capable of using both electric and gas power at the same time. The Prius is almost always using both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

B4 is right, both motors can operate at the same time. Toyota's hybrid feature a CVT because that is the best means to integrate the power between electric motors and a gasoline engine. A Honda hybrid has a small electric motor between the gasoline engine and transmission.

However, it should be noted that a 60 HP electric motor and a 200 HP ICE, does not simply = 260 HP.

Archived