LegacyGT.com

E85 hot starts - ROUGH

LGTspecB1657615261

To those running E85, does your car stumble and almost stall during a hot start? For me, warm start is fine.... even if the coolant temp needle is just past the first dash its fine. When the coolant temp needle is right in the middle (i.e. hot), it starts VERY rough. The engine rocks, bucks, and barely starts.... then finally the idle stabilizes. I find that holding the gas in slightly and keeping the RPM right around 2,000 for a bit helps.

Anyone else experience this? Why is it? Its embarrasing when you are at a gas station or somewhere else in public and you just got out of your car for a short moment.

Maybe running too rich?

I have a same issue (Just 93oct though) right now with fuel trim being +15%

Warm is ok, but Hot engine, it will almost die (All the lights on the dash comes up for like 0.1 sec) and raise the rev a little.

Maybe running too rich?

Warm is ok, but Hot engine, it will almost die (All the lights on the dash comes up for like 0.1 sec) and raise the rev a little.

Wouldn't +15% mean the car is adding fuel? i.e. ecu thinks it is running lean so its adding fuel at idle?

-15% would mean the ecu is taking fuel out, so its running rich to begin with right?

Maybe running too rich?

You need to start a thread for your problem. You have a post MAF leak somewhere.

See you already did...

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I had this issue although I was on colder range plugs. If I gave it gas slightly at the same time it wouldn't be an issue. This led me to believe if was related to some sort of startup enrichment not defined. The cooler the engine the more fuel that is injected based upon the defined tables.

Also only on E85 as well.

OP, this is not a common issue with E85. It's something with your setup.. whether it's bad plugs, leaky injector, I don't know. You can test whether it's flooding by keeping the gas pedal all the way down why starting. If that improves hot starts you could be overfueling for whatever reason.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Well I will have to start diagnosing it. The car starts just fine unless it was just shut off and is still hot. I wonder what would cause that?

I am switching to 93 octane soon to see what problems persist. I have a rough idle issue, and a major CL stutter issue. From what I can tell, and from the carb-cleaner test, I have not post-MAF leaks. My front O2 is solid and reading well.

hmph. hope its not the injectors. Those sucked to get in. I wonder if the plugs are bad after 6k miles? That would suck. Short life...

What plugs should I get? I guess I could replace them for grins. That reminds me, I need to change my oil!

Archived