LegacyGT.com

Cutting the resonator out

coldradio1

So I was listening to a few sound clips of a legacy gt with the center resonator cut off and I loved the boxer sound, but it sounded raspy as hell. I don't know if it was just the sound quality on the clip, but is the rasp normal? My legacy is so quite now, that it drives me crazy. I prefer to drive by sound than to constantly look down at the speedometer. I just want some noise, but I hate raspy exhausts. Any suggestions?

So I was listening to a few sound clips of a legacy gt with the center resonator cut off and I loved the boxer sound, but it sounded raspy as hell. I don't know if it was just the sound quality on the clip, but is the rasp normal? My legacy is so quite now, that it drives me crazy. I prefer to drive by sound than to constantly look down at the speedometer. I just want some noise, but I hate raspy exhausts. Any suggestions?

Yeah ave the stock parts and get you some washers i think 3/8 inch unbolt the rear cans put the washers btw each bolt hole flange and bolt it back together the gap made is an exhaust leak and it gives off a really good sound.

You get to keep your stock parts intact and rumble some more

continue doing your research...

you'll find that removing the resonator can yield some drone or boominess in the cabin.

I had mine removed at one point, loved the sound (magnaflows) but the drone was too much. worst while cruising on the highway and I use my car primarily for road trips...

anyhow, ymmv, and keep in mind mine is a 2.5i but the GTs suffer similar issues when the resonators are removed.

you're best off finding some axleback mufflers - they'll do what you're looking for.

I tried removing the resonator and did get the raspy sound also. It sounds cool when sitting still and reving the engine, it pops and snarls out the back. I also notice a difference in sound upon a cold start, raspier and thoatier cold. No difference inside the cabin whatsoever.

I had just the resonator cut out and there was almost no differance in sound. Had the hogzaust and it sounds like an exhaust leak at idle. The mufflers are what keeps the car quiet so I had no mufflers. (way too loud) so I put on magnaflow mufflers and had stock tips welded on. I also have no cats and no resonator and they are not loud until you floor it. Just my findings!

Yea I just had the resonator cut out of my 05 LGT yesterday and it doesnt sound raspy at all. If anything it gave it a little more volume to the stock deep tone it had before. Worth the $40 the shop charged me. Next will be all new piping from where they cut the resonator and I'll add some magnaflow mufflers. Im really trying to have just a clean exhaust sound, not raspy or loud like the million WRX's and STI's in my freaking town. Which are literally everywhere in Colorado btw.

Archived