LegacyGT.com

Burning Pennzoil Platinum

My last oil change was 2,800 miles ago. Previously I have always used Mobile 1, but Pennzoil Plat. was on sale, so I took it. Just checked my oil this morning and saw that I was way low.

I rushed over to Autozone on my lunch break and it took 1.5 quarts more of PP (haha pp) to reach full. Should I be worried? Is PP just crappy oil? I know Boxers have a tendency to eat oil, but 1.5 quarts over 2800 miles?

inb4 "you're retarded for not checking your oil regularly."

With about 75k on the motor, I find that mine eats about half a quart of PP every 4-5k miles. I usually just chalk it up to the turbo eating it. As for you though, 1.5 quarts within 2800 miles does seem high. I'd just say keep watching it. Maybe when it was last changed, it wasn't filled all the way.

Hmmm. Yeah, a slow leak would make sense. This is the first change I've ever had done at Jiffylube. All the guys working in there looked to be about 12 years old. I'll have to climb under the car today and check the plug.

I'm at 55k. You use PP for every change? Is it good stuff? I never noticed much loss when using Mobile 1. The car seems to be running stronger tham ever. I did just complete my last revision with Infamous1, so in the last month I have done a TON of 3rd gear data logging. I wonder if that could be the cause of so much lost oil.

With about 75k on the motor, I find that mine eats about half a quart of PP every 4-5k miles. I usually just chalk it up to the turbo eating it. As for you though, 1.5 quarts within 2800 miles does seem high. I'd just say keep watching it. Maybe when it was last changed, it wasn't filled all the way.

PP is good oil Ive used it in other vehicle never my subbie not yet anyway. I run Pennzoil 5w30 dino oil and it eats 1/2 qrt btwn changes and I have a N/A so that could be the norm for our engines and that oil. I now however run Quarkerstate 5w30 and don't have any problems. I would glance at the turbo for leaks check your filter for leaks then check the bottom of the heads. I

If you dont find any leaks the engine is consuming that oil and make it a point to check it more often or consider switching next oil change to a different oil. I never trust my oil changes to anyone else b/c ive only ever had bad experiences two times they didnt fill it back up with oil, once paid for synth got dino, third they didnt put the right filter on.

When I got my new Subbie I just took matters into my own hands use Subaru filters and either QS or Penz

i would NEVER trust my car to a quick lube place.

i bet the crush washer is leaking.

has to be changed EVERY oil change.

True dat! I forgot to get a crush washer from the Acura dealer once and went with one from Kragen... Oil Leak! Had to go back to the dealer and get a factory one.

On your work order from jiffylube does it say how much oil they put into the car? The manual says 4.2 quarts..

Thanks for all the input. Crush gasket makes sense. I'd never used Jiffylube before, but it is right down the street. I would do it myself, but I don't have jack stands or a place to work. Next change I'll take it to the dealer and put Mobile Uno in it like I always did before.

Aww man, it looks like Rao didn't make it in time for this thread... :( He would've known the answer to your oil woe's.

On a more serious note, last time I did an oil change on the 92 I put in 4.2 quarts of Pennzoil 10W-40 High Mileage Conventional motor oil and I haven't lost a drop. Come to think of it, the car hasn't burned a drop since I bought it. I got the car 20K miles ago and at 154K she's never leaked or burned any oil, and I check it about once or twice a week (Just in case).

Conventional oil FTW.

Archived