LegacyGT.com

NY Debut of the B9

njsub

I signed up for 4 tickets to go on Saturday... It says it's for Sunday, also, but I'm not sure I can make it on Sunday. I love getting all these "VIP" invitations...

Yeah...I didn't get an invitation but it is open to the public and only cost $12 each so I will be there on Friday.

I think whoever subscribed their email address at the B9 site, you got an invitation through email. You should also sign up to get special events emails at "my.subaru.com".

Sorry IMO that thing is ugly. I hope the Legacy doesn't go that way.

It's not most people's cup of tea, but the concept behind the design is cool. On the B9 site they have news articles that report the design is a tribute to Subaru's history as an airplane manufacturer. And it also follows the theme of their past concept cars.

I'm sure that the Legacy will eventually inherit the Tribeca's snout... which means that my new Subaru will probably be my LAST.

Hideously ugly. And, as far as that tribute to Subaru/Fuji's aircraft heritage... well, Saab makes the same claims, but they don't graft a pigsnout onto Saabs. Just a subtle "airfoil" chrome gimcrack.

(And, if I were Subaru, I'd be a little cautious about bringing up that whole "aircraft heritage" thing. Since their most famous aircraft was the Zero, which shot down American pilots in WW2...)

I'm sure that the Legacy will eventually inherit the Tribeca's snout... which means that my new Subaru will probably be my LAST.

Hideously ugly. And, as far as that tribute to Subaru/Fuji's aircraft heritage... well, Saab makes the same claims, but they don't graft a pigsnout onto Saabs. Just a subtle "airfoil" chrome gimcrack.

(And, if I were Subaru, I'd be a little cautious about bringing up that whole "aircraft heritage" thing. Since their most famous aircraft was the Zero, which shot down American pilots in WW2...)

i'm sure if they get enough complaints about the design, along with mediocre sales, they'll probably modify it.

I was at the NJ PaddleSport show this weekend and Subaru was there with a pre-production B9. Believe it or not, when you're standing up close to it, the front nose doesn't really look that bad. I got a chance to sit in it and it was pretty comfortable. The interior layout is definitely a plus. The rep there said the pricing will be from around $30K+ to around $40K.

i'm sure if they get enough complaints about the design, along with mediocre sales, they'll probably modify it.

Not sure if I agree. How many people will complain to Brand A about a product they don't like and DON'T OWN? Darned few. They'll just buy Brand B and move on with life.

So Subaru might see mediocre sales, not realize (or be willing to admit internally) that it's the styling, and fiddle with other things (incentives, configurations, etc.). Getting the market response right could take years. (E.G., look at how long it's taking BMW to take baby steps away from their ghastly Bangle-ized designs.)

Not sure if I agree. How many people will complain to Brand A about a product they don't like and DON'T OWN? Darned few. They'll just buy Brand B and move on with life.

So Subaru might see mediocre sales, not realize (or be willing to admit internally) that it's the styling, and fiddle with other things (incentives, configurations, etc.). Getting the market response right could take years. (E.G., look at how long it's taking BMW to take baby steps away from their ghastly Bangle-ized designs.)

Yeah, they probably won't listen to non-owners, but I'm sure they've taken random surveys from people who have seen it and had thoughts on it. Who knows, maybe they won't change the design, but instead people will learn to like the design? When the Porsche Cayenne first came out I thought it was really ugly, but then it's grown on me.

Archived