LegacyGT.com

Saturn is dead... GM decides to kill the brand

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just when we had a chance to have a truly "new" car company, even if it had the old name. I can't believe any car company (those that declined to produce for Penske) wouldn't be interested in more sales even if it was under someone else's brand name.

GMC makes tons of money in comercial vehicles, Buick is the number 1 seller in China and China has the number 1 economy.

Not quite true my friend, the most profitable market for GM nowadays is Brazil....

China they are growing, but not as much as down in South America...

http://en.mercopress.com/2009/06/04/gm-latinamerica-one-of-the-most-profitable-and-with-plenty-of-credit

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Good riddance. The death knell for Saturn occurred about a year ago when their two best cars (Sky and Astra) were canceled. The rest of their cars are merely lamentable examples of typical GM badge engineering. What made Saturn unique, i.e., the plastic body panels, has been eliminated--take the current generation Vue as an example.

Not quite true my friend, the most profitable market for GM nowadays is Brazil....

China they are growing, but not as much as down in South America...

http://en.mercopress.com/2009/06/04/gm-latinamerica-one-of-the-most-profitable-and-with-plenty-of-credit

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I was only refering too how much the chinese love buicks for some reason, and even in that article it states that the economy is slowing there.

The company sold around 48,000 vehicles in Brazil in May, up from around 35, 000 in April. Despite a severe economic slowdown in Brazil, car sales have been on par with sales in 2008, which was a record-breaking year. Late in 2008, the Brazilian government gave car makers a temporary break on industrial production taxes, resulting in lower new car prices.

GMC makes tons of money in comercial vehicles, Buick is the number 1 seller in China and China has the number 1 economy.

GMC could live on as a commercial seller but as a consumer brand it is pointless. The Buick brand is totally different in China and could live on there. Here, it is nothing but a rolling AARP membership card filled with badge engineered pseudo-lux mobiles.

Cadillac and Chevy should be the only consumer GM brands in the states. Look at the disaster Toyota had when they created the third brand of Scion.

Look at the disaster Toyota had when they created the third brand of Scion.

Uh, what? It was a cheap car to make that sold amazingly well and still continues to sell well. Maybe not toward the intended target but another target group loves them.

Archived