LegacyGT.com

Front end vibration, ideas?

Bought my 05 Legacy GT LTD Wagon on the first of the month, it had a slight vibration that I assumed was a tire balance issue. In fact, I had the dealership re-balance the tires before I drove it away and it was much better.

Since then, I've had it in at my local tire shop (small shop, amazing work. only people I trust alignment/tire/wheel issues to.) and the dealership several times each.

1st visit was to my tire shop the day I bought it, for them to balance the tires and to align it. They got the alignment spot on and said they needed to balance 3 of the tires. Cool, thought she was all fixed. Drove it, and the vibration was _worse_.... I was confused, so I called them and told them. Bring it back in on Tuesday (this was friday and then the Monday was a holiday). Took it back, they rebalanced 2 tires that were off. Cool, drove it.

Still not fixed, now I'm convinced it had to be something other than wheel/tires so I took it to my dealership for them to look at. They couldn't find anything wrong, but rotated the tires to see if that changed anything...

Took it back to my tire shop, I had them do a road force balance because _something_ had to be causing this vibration. They found 3 wheels were out of round.

I called my dealer and they told me to bring it over and "they had a guy that straightens wheels". I take it to them, 3 hours later they tell me I'm fixed. Sweet, take it out and it drives WAY better than before but on and off there is a slight vibration...I'm happy, but frustrated all at once since it's not 100% fixed.

I drive straight back to my tire shop (my town is 30 miles from the subie dealer I bought the car from), and have them road force the tires for real this time. They are impressed that the wheels are now round, road force them and send me on my way.

Now, the vibration is definitely better than it was, but it's still there. Even at low speeds around town I can feel it...atleast I think I can. I've only driven this car _with_ the vibration, so I hope it's not my mind playing tricks on me. Worse yet, the town I live in has really crappy roads..but even on the "good" ones, I feel that there is too much vibration.

I can feel it, and even see the vibration in the steering wheel a little bit so I'm confident that I'm not just making it up.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check next? Is there something that commonly causes a front end vibration in these cars?

and, because the forum I came from (vwvortex) gets way more clicks when there are pics:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/3883479116_91587e043d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/3941276880_835926403d.jpg

What tire are you running?

Hancook Ventus V4

How many Miles (on the tires)?

Dealer said they were "new" when I bought it.... under 5k, I'd say.

Does the vibration get worse under any specific type of road condition?

Pot holed roads. :spin:

Seriously now: For a assumed smooth surface, it seems to be about the same whether it's asphalt or concrete.

Does it get worse when you apply the brakes?

There is a small vibration under light braking.

Would a "re-bed" get rid of braking vibration AND the vibration while driving?

Warped rotor.

Bent rim (More common with steel wheels, but still a possibility with alloys).

Wheel bearing (This could also cause the car to pull to one side).

Tie rod ends (These would generally make noise).

Crappy wheel weights can fly off if they aren't put on correctly, causing them to lose balance. This isn't uncommon with mainstream tire retailers that do installations and "Free" balancing.

I would have guessed warped rotors as well. I am chasing a very similar vibration now that I moved up to 18s. I think the 17s hid it for some time as I have vibration under light braking that is more noticeable with the 18s.

I would say based on the slight vibration under braking its your rotors, if they are out of balance for any reason you could get the vibration you are feeling.

As for the rims even though the dealer said they were repaired, they may still be flawed. I am not sure where you are located, but take it to a good tire shop in you area, not the dealer, and tell them about the vibration, and that you have had the rims repaired, they will usually do a much better job than the dealer and for a lot cheaper.

Hancook Ventus V4

Dealer said they were "new" when I bought it.... under 5k, I'd say.

Pot holed roads. :spin:

Seriously now: For a assumed smooth surface, it seems to be about the same whether it's asphalt or concrete.

There is a small vibration under light braking.

Would a "re-bed" get rid of braking vibration AND the vibration while driving?

vibration in the steering wheel? if so warped rotors.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I would say based on the slight vibration under braking its your rotors, if they are out of balance for any reason you could get the vibration you are feeling.

Interesting, I've had warped rotors before but didn't experience vibration while driving, only while braking. All of you have mentioned it, so it seems pretty clear at this point - it's the rotors.

I will have them turned and see if that fixes it.

As for the rims even though the dealer said they were repaired, they may still be flawed. I am not sure where you are located, but take it to a good tire shop in you area, not the dealer, and tell them about the vibration, and that you have had the rims repaired, they will usually do a much better job than the dealer and for a lot cheaper.

I did,

I drive straight back to my tire shop (my town is 30 miles from the subie dealer I bought the car from), and have them road force the tires for real this time. They are impressed that the wheels are now round, road force them and send me on my way.

But I wanted the dealer to pay for the re-rounding because I just bought my car ;)

Warped rotor.

Seems to be the popular opinion around here. http://www.kch2o.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_thumbup.gif

Bent rim (More common with steel wheels, but still a possibility with alloys).

Fixed by my dealer, confirmed by my tire shop...so I hope it's not this. Would be an excuse to upgrade to some STI wheels though ;)

Wheel bearing (This could also cause the car to pull to one side).

made the dealership check this, they said they were OK.

Tie rod ends (These would generally make noise).

No noise, so I don't think it's this -- also had dealer check these, LCA bushings, ball joints and strut mounts -- all were deemed OK.

Crappy wheel weights can fly off if they aren't put on correctly, causing them to lose balance. This isn't uncommon with mainstream tire retailers that do installations and "Free" balancing.

Nope, these are high quality tape weights and I have checked -- none have flown off.

Hoping it's just the rotors and a quick turn will fix the problem http://www.kch2o.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_thumbup.gif

I would get vibration over 65 and it would stop when I put my foot on the brake. no vibrations under 65 and over 80:rolleyes:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I would get vibration over 65 and it would stop when I put my foot on the brake. no vibrations under 65 and over 80:rolleyes:

of course not -- all vibrations only present themselves at the perfect highway speed. :spin:

Did you fix this by getting yours turned?

Had my front rotors turned this morning, they were pretty bad. grooved and uneven all around.

the short drive back home felt like an improvment, though the roads were no where near "smooth". No vibrations while braking. I am heading out of town tonight so I'll report how it is on the highway.

this may have been the last piece of the puzzle.

• 2 months later...
so i assume everyone agrees... rotors most likely... but also if your wheels and tires where balenced when they where still warped... they are most likely off balence now... have them balence the wheels and tires again... have you moved the two tires off the front and put the rears on... that could narrow it down to car or rims... just a thought

Rotors generally do not warp. But that's not to say that a rotor cannot be ruined. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Typically, though, resurfacing can fix a vibration under braking (assuming that is the only problem). After a huge panic stop from 60 to 0 where I continued to sit on the brakes while emergency vehicles passed - fortunately they were not coming for me, as I was in a 30 zone - I had a vibration under braking. Turning the rotors resolved the problem for at least 10K miles (at which point I replaced my rotors as part of normal maintenance).

It seems to me no rotor problem (short of total failure) could be blamed for vibration not occurring under braking.

Archived